blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Depleted uranium in planes.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Depleted uranium in planes.  (Read 1198 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2015, 12:09:45 AM »

I can scarcely believe this. It's like a bad taste April Fools joke.

http://enformable.com/2012/01/depleted-uranium-and-the-boeing-747-airplane-program/

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 12:29:17 AM »

Isn't this just typical Internet warping of science? Yes it is in planes, no it isnt going to kill us all?  That would be my first guess anyway.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:43:23 AM »

Isn't this just typical Internet warping of science? Yes it is in planes, no it isnt going to kill us all?  That would be my first guess anyway.

I don't really know what's true to be honest, but it sounds like scary stuff to me.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »

Had a quick look - from what I can tell there is (obviously?) no harm in them being in the plane, the problem is only if they crash.

But, it seems like they stopped doing it in the 1980's anyway so I can't imagine there'd be too many still around - I looked at a selection of airlines and their oldest planes tended to be about 20 years old.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »

Had a quick look - from what I can tell there is (obviously?) no harm in them being in the plane, the problem is only if they crash.

But, it seems like they stopped doing it in the 1980's anyway so I can't imagine there'd be too many still around - I looked at a selection of airlines and their oldest planes tended to be about 20 years old.

I think the first paragraph is obviously true.  Any radiation leaking from this stuff is absorbed in the plane before it gets to me in row 19.  If this didn't happen we'd have a bunch of pilots/stewardesses with deformed kids and freaky illnesses.  And if that had happened we'd know about it by now.

On the 2nd part, the chances of us been in a plane fire are really really small.  The chances that we are in or near a plane fire where this stuff is on board and makes a difference to our mortality rate is just going to be infinitesimally small.  Your plane hits the ground and explodes you all die anyway; and this happens whether or not depleted uranium is on board.  So the only events where it may make a difference is something like manchester where there is a fire but not everyone dies.  Maybe in cases like that there may be a death or two extra or maybe somebody picks up something that causes them to die earlier from cancer.  I am not even convinced this will happen but even if it did, it just isn't going to increases your life or flying risks by any noticeable amount.

So there is no need to be scared of it or share it with me on facebook. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »

It's so difficult to find good unbiased advice on the web, especially on emotive subjects.

Try finding a reasonable answer to this question.

Sucralose vs Aspartame.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »

Sucralose vs Aspartame.

Stevia.

I have chewed a Stevia leaf straight off the plant and it tastes exactly like a sugar cube. No calories, though.

http://workoutgeartogo.com/stevia-for-weight-loss
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »

Sucralose vs Aspartame.

Stevia.

I have chewed a Stevia leaf straight off the plant and it tastes exactly like a sugar cube. No calories, though.

http://workoutgeartogo.com/stevia-for-weight-loss

OK. Stevia vs Sucralose vs Aspartame.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: