blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:39:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Dubrovnik - Croatia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dubrovnik - Croatia  (Read 1362 times)
Paul_Foulder

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »

I think a few blondes have recommended Dubrovnik/Croatia as a must see place, & being a fairly big Game of Thrones fan I have booked a weeks holiday with my girlfriend in a few weeks time.

We are flying into Dubrovnik on Thursday 1st October for 7 days.

Does anybody have any advice on the following?

- Game of Thrones tours (I've seen a few of these advertised online - are we best booking before we go? I assume they are everywhere)
- any must do activities?
- places to stay? (we are looking at the old town but are open for suggestions)

I'm a bit worried there isn't enough to do in Dubrovnik for 7 days? - is this the case?

We have also looked at maybe travelling to some of the islands nearby (or even Split) for a few days - is this something people would recommend?

Finally any good food/drink recommendations?

Thanks,
Paul
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »

Went to Dubrovnik well over 10 years ago for a wedding in the castle just outside the city walls, just remember it as a wonderful place to chill out, food was great (especially the sea food).

Remember one cafe which was inside the city walls on the sea side and you could sit effectively outside the walls (about halfway up) looking at the sea.

Was quite easy to get boat trips out to the islands, and had a coach trip along the coast (through Bosnia).

it was basically a lovely place to chill out for a few days.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

Split is nice, brac (island) is more family orientated and lovely with some nice views/beaches/local caught fish etc  hvar (island) is like the younger party island in that area. both are just off the coast of split and easy to get to.

dubrovnik is a little way from split but its a nice journey up the coast.

when we flew into split, we stayed down the coast to the west on the first night in Trogir, a small town with large and excsluive marina, so its kinda the posh out of the way area. it was very very nice.

if you head to split walk up the park/hill to the west of the main port section it has breathtaking views across the bay/town/ and out to sea over the islands. there is a nice little cafe for a drink and sandwich at the top with some comfy chairs to enjoy the view.

thumbs up
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »

The wife and I have been twice. We love it!

1. Buy a 7 day Dubrovnik card as it covers all bus travel and some trips. Its awesome value and much easier than buying seperate bus tickets. Order it online and get a discount and collect from tourist info.

2. Use the bus to get around. Its very easy, cheap and convenient. You can even get the atlas bus from the airport to the old town for about an 8th of the price of a taxi.

3. The old town is BUSY every day and night so try not to go there every night. Every cruise ship in the med lands here and sometimes it can be jammed!

4. Do island tours but reasearch who to go with. The elaphiti islands are awesome. Spend a day at Lokrum which is anothe risland close to the old town and water boat taxis leave every half hour

5. Do the city wall walk, its great!

6. You MUST eat at Pantarul. Its close to my favourite restaurant ever. You have to book though. No excuses. Book well in advance. Another favourite is Otto's Taverna in Lapad. Yiu may need to book but you may not.  Although they are both awesome they are not expensive.

7. Dont fall for the tourist trap restaurants in the old town. Do research. the pizzerias off the squares are ok but largely average.

8. GOT tours are everywhere, not sure how good they are though.

9. Depending on your budget, stay somewhere on the coast with a mountian and sea view. Its breathtaking. We stay at the dubrovnik president and cannot fault it.

10. Look out for open air theater shows at the Fort. We saw Twelth Night and it was really good but has finished now. The tourist i formation in the tiwn is really good.

Enjoy!
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:19 AM »

There is alos a really amazing bar built into the rocks and you literally sit on the precipice loking out over Lokrum and the old town. I have forgotten the name but its worth the climb up the billion steps to get to it.

11. Wear comfortable shoes at night. There are lots and lots of steps. Lots of them!
Paul_Foulder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys - really appreciate it.

Will definitely look at booking some of those restaurants.

We have decided to just stay in Dubrovnik for the week & do Split on another visit, though we will probably take a day trip out to some of the nearby islands.

Just cant wait to go now - 2 weeks today!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: