blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread  (Read 401659 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: April 17, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »

Aguerrrrrrrrrrrrnoooooo.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: April 17, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »

One of the best games I've seen for a while - can't quite believe how Spurs hung in there over both games but fair play to them

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: April 17, 2019, 10:04:13 PM »

One of the best games I've seen for a while - can't quite believe how Spurs hung in there over both games but fair play to them

All that.

A game which will live in the memory for a very long time indeed.

Wonderful entertainment, unless you are a City fan.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:56 PM »

Why didn't they show pictures of the VAR offside for the final "goal"?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 17, 2019, 10:42:42 PM »

Fergie got hold of the keypad.

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: April 18, 2019, 03:35:10 PM »

All that.

A game which will live in the memory for a very long time indeed.

Wonderful entertainment, unless you are a City fan.  

Wonderful entertainment as a City fan. At 1-3 down in the tie after 90+10 mins and then winning the last 80 mins 4-1 was heady stuff.  But then bloody VAR kicks in and it's 3-1 not 4-1 for the last 80 mins. Ouch.

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 18, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »

BT did there attempt in the post-match stiff with a single black line. Definitely off-side on that and zero complaints. But I've not seen the official VAR shots anywhere.

In the BT highlights show (but not the post-match stuff) there was a very clear view of the Morientes "handball". Indisputably hit his arm first and then hip before going in. Apparently, based on the guidelines UEFA gave to refs in January, this should have been disallowed irrespective of all other hand-ball rules re intent, deliberate or not, clear and obvious, silhouettes etc. But the ref wasn't given the clips where it was clear. I don't like that.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:00:35 PM by Archer » Logged
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 18, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »

BT did there attempt in the post-match stiff with a single black line. Definitely off-side on that and zero complaints. But I've not seen the official VAR shots anywhere.

In the BT highlights show (but not the post-match stuff) there was a very clear view of the Morientes "handball". Indisputably hit his arm first and then hip before going in. Apparently, based on the guidelines UEFA gave to refs in January, this should have been disallowed irrespective of all other hand-ball rules re intent, deliberate or not, clear and obvious, silhouettes etc. But the ref wasn't given the clips where it was clear. I don't like that.

If the ball had struck a City defender in exactly the same fashion and been diverted away to safety, would it have been a penalty? The arm was clearly inside the body silhouette and there was no movement of the arm toward the ball.

I haven’t seen any of the evidence that makes it “indisputably handball”, only what was shown at the time, which looked pretty ok to me.
I’d say it’s one of those decisions where, if it had been Kompany’s intervention that scored a goal for City you would be absolutely horrified to have it disallowed.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 18, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »

If the ball had struck a City defender in exactly the same fashion and been diverted away to safety, would it have been a penalty? The arm was clearly inside the body silhouette and there was no movement of the arm toward the ball.

I haven’t seen any of the evidence that makes it “indisputably handball”, only what was shown at the time, which looked pretty ok to me.
I’d say it’s one of those decisions where, if it had been Kompany’s intervention that scored a goal for City you would be absolutely horrified to have it disallowed.

There is a very clear angle from behind the goal that shows how the ball hits his arm first before going in off his hip. For some unknown reason, the ref either didn't request or didn't get to see this angle when making his judgement.

Think it's a very close decision and it might not have swayed his mind, however surely the whole point of VAR is to offer the best views possible on incidents so the ref can benefit from the technology and ensure the correct decision is made. Why he only saw the front facing reply last night is beyond me and makes a mockery of the whole VAR set up.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11696773/pep-guardiola-questions-angle-used-for-fernando-llorentes-var-goal-review

Best Bitter.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 18, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »

I've read a bit more about this now. It is an IFAB change in the laws of the game which are effective from 1st June this year (and for the Champions League final):

The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
• a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm
and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity  

Meanwhile, UEFA issued a directive to CL referees that they should apply the new rules now in advance of the official date.

So it is very specific, black and white almost, when there is evidence the ball simply touched a hand or arm before a goal but unlike penalties for handball which are subject to a completely different criteria.

On reflection it means it wasn't even a marginal decision and, if this is the rule,  the goal should have been disallowed. It is a matter of fact the ball touched his arm when you see the clearest replay.  No blame to the referee here because he could only work on the replays presented to him. And VAR has messed up.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 18, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »

The irony that not having VAR fucked us over in the CL last season, and having VAR has fucked us over in the CL this season.

Can't wait for next years fucking over Smiley

Best Bitter.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 18, 2019, 11:23:49 PM »

I've read a bit more about this now. It is an IFAB change in the laws of the game which are effective from 1st June this year (and for the Champions League final):

• a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm

Meanwhile, UEFA issued a directive to CL referees that they should apply the new rules now in advance of the official date.

So it is very specific, black and white almost, when there is evidence the ball simply touched a hand or arm before a goal but unlike penalties for handball which are subject to a completely different criteria.

On reflection it means it wasn't even a marginal decision and, if this is the rule,  the goal should have been disallowed. It is a matter of fact the ball touched his arm when you see the clearest replay.  No blame to the referee here because he could only work on the replays presented to him. And VAR has messed up.

banter incoming (mostly to deflect any comments on our world class goalkeeper and our surrender to the putative 2019 CL winners)

The ball didn’t go into the goal due to it’s touching his arm and he definitely didn’t gain control or possession due to the contact with his arm.

Seriously though; you conceded 3 goals at home, when did that happen last?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 18, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »

banter incoming (mostly to deflect any comments on our world class goalkeeper and our surrender to the putative 2019 CL winners)

The ball didn’t go into the goal due to it’s touching his arm and he definitely didn’t gain control or possession due to the contact with his arm.

Palace at home this season off the top of my head.

The ball went into the goal after it touched his arm. It wasn't the final contact, but it helped get the ball over the line. So I think under this new directive it would be disallowed.

Best Bitter.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 19, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »

The irony that not having VAR fucked us over in the CL last season, and having VAR has fucked us over in the CL this season.

Can't wait for next years fucking over Smiley

Yep, I'd thought the same thing. We win 5-3 last night without VAR. Who knows what the Liverpool score would have been but VAR in the 1st leg would have ruled out a Salah goal for offside, given the Sane/Jesus goal, given the penalty for the for the non-subjective foul on Sterling and, in the 2nd leg, not disallowed the Sane goal.

We did have the penalty in the 1st leg against Spurs though Smiley

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 19, 2019, 12:13:35 AM »

Palace at home this season off the top of my head.

The ball went into the goal after it touched his arm. It wasn't the final contact, but it helped get the ball over the line. So I think under this new directive it would be disallowed.

The bold bit is right.

And it was Palace. Think Mr Pops was fishing for us to say United in the 2-3 last season Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: