blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Exclamation explanation.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exclamation explanation.  (Read 2189 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »

But, (Serious question) what if I actually exclaim? For example,

Gosh!

That is fine, nothing wrong with that.

Though you might argue that the word "gosh", in itself, effectively includes a built in exclamation mark. It's that sort of word. "Gosh" means excitement, so does not need reinforcement. 

They have a use, a good use, nothing wrong with them. It's their misuse which mildly irritates me. And the entire bloody world, & probably the universe, too.

Punctuation fascinates me. I have spent years trying to find answers to some of my punctuation questions,

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »

"Gosh" means excitement, so does not need reinforcement. 

I've been thinking about this and I don't agree.

By your logic the end of a paragraph doesn't need a period because it's obvious that it's ended. Words like don't do not need an apostrophe for the same reason.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »

"Gosh" means excitement, so does not need reinforcement.  

I've been thinking about this and I don't agree.

By your logic the end of a paragraph doesn't need a period because it's obvious that it's ended. Words like don't do not need an apostrophe for the same reason.

That's not a valid analogy Tom, IMO.

Some words have an inbuilt exclamation mark. "wow", "gosh", "fantastic". No need to reinforce such words.

That's not the point though. It's excessive and multi exclamation marks that are bad, and cheapen the piece.

Nobe of the promos for Sky Sports, for example ( who are extremely successful) ever include an exclamation mark. Ditto, iirc, Vodafone, or Apple. Doubt you will ever see one in "The Times", either, except in direct quotes.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »

I might play as many as 50 SNG's in an evening, & in doing so win, say, 1,000 hands.

Do I really need, after every hand - "congratulations, you have won the hand!"

1,000 times per night, an average of 5 nights per week, for about 40 weeks of the year. That's 200,00 of the buggers.  

You lost me at this point:  A self confessed nit, playing DYMs, winning 20 hands per SNG, you sure Wink(had to REALLY resist putting n apostrophe at the end too)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »

For any matters concerning the English language, Fowler is the Delia Smith. This extract is from 'The King's English', 2nd Ed., 1908.

His references are, sadly but inevitably, dated (one absurdly so), but the principles are as good as they ever were...

10. The exclamation mark when there is no exclamation.

My friend! this conduct amazes me!—B.

We must differ altogether from Beadnell's rule that 'This point is used to denote any sudden emotion of the mind, whether of joy, grief, surprise, fear, or any other sensation'—at least as it is exemplified in his first instance, given above. The exclamation mark after friend is justifiable, not the other. The stop should be used, with one exception, only after real exclamations. Real exclamations include (1) the words recognized as interjections, as alas, (2) fragmentary expressions that are not complete sentences, as My friend in the example, and (3) complete statements that contain an exclamatory word, as:

What a piece of work is man!—B.

The exception mentioned above is this: when the writer wishes to express his own incredulity or other feeling about what is not his own statement, but practically a quotation from some one else, he is at liberty to do it with a mark of exclamation; in the following example, the epitaph-writer expresses either his wonder or his incredulity about what Fame says.

Entomb'd within this vault a lawyer lies
Who, Fame assureth us, was just and wise!—B.

The exclamation mark is a neat and concise sneer at the legal profession.

Outside these narrow limits the exclamation mark must not be used. We shall quote a very instructive saying of Landor's: 'I read warily; and whenever I find the writings of a lady, the first thing I do is to cast my eye along her pages, to see whether I am likely to be annoyed by the traps and spring-guns of interjections; and if I happen to espy them I do not leap the paling'. To this we add that when the exclamation mark is used after mere statements it deserves the name, by which it is sometimes called, mark of admiration; we feel that the writer is indeed lost in admiration of his own wit or impressiveness. But this use is mainly confined to lower-class authors; when a grave historian stoops to it, he gives us quite a different sort of shock from what he designed.

The unfortunate commander was in the situation of some bold, high-mettled cavalier, rushing to battle on a warhorse whose tottering joints threaten to give way at every step, and leave his rider to the mercy of his enemies!—Prescott.

The road now struck into the heart of a mountain region, where woods, precipices, and ravines were mingled together in a sort of chaotic confusion, with here and there a green and sheltered valley, glittering like an island of verdure amidst the wild breakers of a troubled ocean!—Prescott

In essence,  use them sparingly, for proper effect and not to laugh at your own jokes.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »

For any matters concerning the English language, Fowler is the Delia Smith. This extract is from 'The King's English', 2nd Ed., 1908.

His references are, sadly but inevitably, dated (one absurdly so), but the principles are as good as they ever were...

10. The exclamation mark when there is no exclamation.

My friend! this conduct amazes me!—B.

We must differ altogether from Beadnell's rule that 'This point is used to denote any sudden emotion of the mind, whether of joy, grief, surprise, fear, or any other sensation'—at least as it is exemplified in his first instance, given above. The exclamation mark after friend is justifiable, not the other. The stop should be used, with one exception, only after real exclamations. Real exclamations include (1) the words recognized as interjections, as alas, (2) fragmentary expressions that are not complete sentences, as My friend in the example, and (3) complete statements that contain an exclamatory word, as:

What a piece of work is man!—B.

The exception mentioned above is this: when the writer wishes to express his own incredulity or other feeling about what is not his own statement, but practically a quotation from some one else, he is at liberty to do it with a mark of exclamation; in the following example, the epitaph-writer expresses either his wonder or his incredulity about what Fame says.

Entomb'd within this vault a lawyer lies
Who, Fame assureth us, was just and wise!—B.

The exclamation mark is a neat and concise sneer at the legal profession.

Outside these narrow limits the exclamation mark must not be used. We shall quote a very instructive saying of Landor's: 'I read warily; and whenever I find the writings of a lady, the first thing I do is to cast my eye along her pages, to see whether I am likely to be annoyed by the traps and spring-guns of interjections; and if I happen to espy them I do not leap the paling'. To this we add that when the exclamation mark is used after mere statements it deserves the name, by which it is sometimes called, mark of admiration; we feel that the writer is indeed lost in admiration of his own wit or impressiveness. But this use is mainly confined to lower-class authors; when a grave historian stoops to it, he gives us quite a different sort of shock from what he designed.

The unfortunate commander was in the situation of some bold, high-mettled cavalier, rushing to battle on a warhorse whose tottering joints threaten to give way at every step, and leave his rider to the mercy of his enemies!—Prescott.

The road now struck into the heart of a mountain region, where woods, precipices, and ravines were mingled together in a sort of chaotic confusion, with here and there a green and sheltered valley, glittering like an island of verdure amidst the wild breakers of a troubled ocean!—Prescott

In essence,  use them sparingly, for proper effect and not to laugh at your own jokes.

Good stuff. I was wound up like a coiled spring after watching the You Tube interview featuring Ms Proudman, but this has calmed me down a treat.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »

You'll enjoy the wiki page of the historian mentioned, William H Prescott, Tikay. 

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »

Dear exclamation explainers,

Is the exclamation mark after the word 'Wait' in the example below OK? I think it might be, because wait is a word that doesn't automatically portray itself as an exclamation.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=66024.msg2083816#msg2083816

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »

Is the exclamation mark after the word 'Wait' in the example below OK? I think it might be, because wait is a word that doesn't automatically portray itself as an exclamation.

It is not terrible, it is the excessive use & multi-use that is bad.

You could simply re-phrase the sentence to -

Wait - I've just found out that you can still buy it.

Or replace "wait" with a whole variety of words that do the job of the exclamation mark - "gosh", "oh my" , "well well well, now there's a thing".

I'm the wrong person to ask really, I suffer from obsessive exclamanationmarkism. They'd all be sent back from where they came if I had my way.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »

Or replace "wait" with a whole variety of words that do the job of the exclamation mark - "gosh", "oh my" , "well well well, now there's a thing".

I'm the wrong person to ask really, I suffer from obsessive exclamanationmarkism. They'd all be sent back from where they came if I had my way.

Wait would fall under category 1 in the extract I posted above. It is also important to note the word has taken the imperative mood, which often is followed (though not always) by an exclamation mark, particularly when it's a one word sentence and has a clear message of urgent action being required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_mood

Appropriate use IMO.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »

Wait would fall under category 1 in the extract I posted above. It is also important to note the word has taken the imperative mood, which often is followed (though not always) by an exclamation mark, particularly when it's a one word sentence and has a clear message of urgent action being required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_mood

Appropriate use IMO.

Quite so.

Thank you.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »

This is quite helpful.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »

This is good for puncuation in general
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150902-the-mysterious-origins-of-punctuation

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG