blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Advice needed! Building a roll (initially) outside of BRM
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice needed! Building a roll (initially) outside of BRM  (Read 3999 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »

the thing to acknowledge before you start is that your risk of ruin here is pretty high, with no regards to your poker play. So don't feel like you're terrible or you're a degenerate for busting your BR here, just accept that it's quite likely and go on as you would.

Online is a terrible idea IMO you'd probably lose (no offence) and you'd have way less fun doing it.

Stick to live poker and play as you have been, maybe the best advice, if its possible would be to have quite nitty stop-losses, so quite when you lose X every day to prevent the chance of ever tilting off a big chunk of the roll, and basically only playing when you're winning and loving it, gives you way more chance to hit that big day where you can double your BR.

In regards to playing vs the splashy drunks, simple strategy - BIG HANDS = BIG BETS, get in cheaply with NFD hands and pairs and try flop huge in multiway pots when you can quickly accelerate the pot, and when you have big hands PF start smashing money in, it should be fairly obvious that you have a very good hand but people will still call with weak hands. If you make a big pot with a big hand, and someone outdraws you with a bad one then there is nothing you can do about that im afraid, just have to suck up and take the medicine.

Just don't worry, tiny bankrolls are fun because you have nothing to lose, assuming that this £1000 is not that important to your life you have no real risk, play, enjoy and give yourself the best chance of running it up by playing a good mental game and keeping your head Smiley

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »

The question is - are you looking to build a bankroll or identify the most efficient way to have a spin up?

If it's the former i think you have to play online. It's a learning curve, and a fairly steep one, but the one which will teach you the most about this game if you are eventually able to grasp it (it's not impossible). The reason is i get the impression that a "roll" may well be futile goal, as you do kinda need to be able to beat the games you wish to be rolled for in order for the concept to apply. 10,000 hands of online poker along with informed self/joint analysis and you'll no longer be asking how to beat drunk players at the poker table - it will be piss easy for you. Solely playing live will make it much harder to improve for obvious reasons.

Whatever path you choose though appreciate that you're probably going to have to be not only good, but lucky too! When i built a roll back in 2009 i was depositing small regularly and more or less punting until i was on the receiving end of some literally INCREDIBLE run good in the games i was playing. That luck played such a crucial factor. From there i managed to kick on, become immersed and have some very successful years in poker, and i can guarantee most people who "made it" at some point in their lives will have similar stories of good fortune at the right time. Don't lose heart ever, just keep at it!

And if you cba to go the online route and just want to punt gl Cheesy
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »

the thing to acknowledge before you start is that your risk of ruin here is pretty high, with no regards to your poker play. So don't feel like you're terrible or you're a degenerate for busting your BR here, just accept that it's quite likely and go on as you would.

Online is a terrible idea IMO you'd probably lose (no offence) and you'd have way less fun doing it.

Stick to live poker and play as you have been, maybe the best advice, if its possible would be to have quite nitty stop-losses, so quite when you lose X every day to prevent the chance of ever tilting off a big chunk of the roll, and basically only playing when you're winning and loving it, gives you way more chance to hit that big day where you can double your BR.

In regards to playing vs the splashy drunks, simple strategy - BIG HANDS = BIG BETS, get in cheaply with NFD hands and pairs and try flop huge in multiway pots when you can quickly accelerate the pot, and when you have big hands PF start smashing money in, it should be fairly obvious that you have a very good hand but people will still call with weak hands. If you make a big pot with a big hand, and someone outdraws you with a bad one then there is nothing you can do about that im afraid, just have to suck up and take the medicine.

Just don't worry, tiny bankrolls are fun because you have nothing to lose, assuming that this £1000 is not that important to your life you have no real risk, play, enjoy and give yourself the best chance of running it up by playing a good mental game and keeping your head Smiley

+1 to all of this.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
LovesADraw

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 01:48:44 AM »

Does the ROE game still run at aspers?

What was the ROE game?

Round of each, PLO and NlH

Ahh right no haven't seen that up there for a long time.

Thanks for this.... think I am placing too much emphasis on trying time get max value in 'clever' way a from my big hands which usually leads me to slow playing and them getting there. Think I'm gonna rethink my whole approach to these cash games.

Thanks for the advice people hopefully I can put some of this in to action
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: