blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 671221 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1410 on: November 23, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »

bloody hell

received by a Muslim family yesteray in middle America

Click to see full-size image.

You got a source for that Tighty?

While I don't doubt for one moment that some Trump followers are capable of this (He has emboldened a bunch of legit Nazis after all), there has been a very very big outbreak in hoax hate crimes since Trump got in.

sure (hoax incidences are high i am sure). tweeted by @ThisTechGirl (Saadia Muzaffar)

Thanks, hard to say either way in that instance. Feels shitty even suggesting it of course but I personally have fallen afoul a few times of tweeting these things out and then discovering it was a hoax. Then I looked into it and saw a massive amount of examples of hoaxes. It creates a boy who cried wolf scenario which legitimately harms the genuine victims of post Trump hate crimes, of which I am sure there are plenty. Then you have the fact that there have been a lot of anti-Trump violence, including I believe a murder, that has largely gone unreported in the media. All of this helps Trump of course because it helps further his (probably fair) 'the media is biased against me' spin.

I'm glad I'm not over there at the moment, especially because they all have guns.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: November 24, 2016, 03:26:16 AM »

Most awkward day of the year tomorrow in America.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1412 on: November 24, 2016, 10:32:13 AM »

Most awkward day of the year tomorrow in America.

LOL

I was thinking about Thanksgiving all morning and I never even factored in the Trump effect
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: November 24, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »

It's looking like we are in for recounts in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Yesterday, Jill Stein asked for $2.5m by Friday, which covers the cost for Wisconsin, and had it all in a few hours, so she should be able to raise funds for the other two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38090185
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 24, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1415 on: November 24, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »

Reminds me of this un, have we had this ITT yet?

btw Minty check your PMs
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1416 on: November 24, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »

Jill Stein has raised funds for a recount

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/23/jill-stein-election-recount-fund-michigan-wisconsin-pennsylvania

The thing I don't understand is Stein has publicly said she would have preferred Trump to Clinton, worried that Clinton would start war with Putin, why the U-turn?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 25, 2016, 12:40:15 AM »

On a similar theme...

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 26, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »

Trump's bizarre public selection process continues, with candidates forced into photo-ops and Donald tweeting about people he is considering. This usually happens in private, but Trump has decided to demean his future team by showing that he has the power to do this to them. Even worse for anyone who goes through it and is not ultimately appointed. Most President-elects have a pretty clear idea of their team by the election, certainly at senior level, but Trump is behaving like he is only just thinking about it for the first time now.

The Secretary of State position has become a problem, with Giuliani initially expected to get it, but Trump now seeming to prefer Romney. Without even considering their histories, the behaviour of the two this week should make it obvious who is the better option, with Giuliani's unseemly public appeals for the position demonstrating his unsuitability. His belligerent personality should have ruled him out of this role from the start, along with his lack of foreign policy experience. It seems that the transition team is split - Kellyanne has tweeted her opposition to Romney and Bannon is against him, but he has support, not least from Trump, who was impressed more than he expected during their meeting last week. Now some of the team want Romney to apologise in public for his previous opposition to Trump in return for the job. Surely that is something he can't do?

What a shambles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/us/politics/donald-trump-mitt-romney-rudy-giuliani-state.html?_r=0

Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1419 on: November 26, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »

but Trump is behaving like he is only just thinking about it for the first time now.

There's a reason for that.

Without even considering their histories, the behaviour of the two this week should make it obvious who is the better option, with Giuliani's unseemly public appeals for the position demonstrating his unsuitability. His belligerent personality should have ruled him out of this role from the start, along with his lack of foreign policy experience.

You could say the same thing about Trump, but he's still got the job somehow.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1420 on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »

Marine General 'Mad Dog' Mattis got Trump to rethink his position on torture in under an hour

http://www.businessinsider.com/james-mattis-trump-torture-2016-11?r=US&IR=T&IR=T      

Not sure my own position on torture tbh, but reassuring that Trump can have his more radical positions change I spose. Cause it does also mean he could be swung even more towards the batshit crazy side of things too.                                                       
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 29, 2016, 05:25:22 AM »

So now it's over, with just the formalities of the College Vote and the Inauguration to come, plus the continuing shenanigans over the transition, including the appointments and the conflict of interest issues, to be ironed out. For me, the Primaries are always the most exciting stage, when there is no end of possible twists and permutations of what might happen. 

Now that it's all calming down, I want to caution those of you who paid closer attention for the first time not to expect it to be like this every election. It's never been like this before and it probably won't be again, so you are likely to be perpetually disappointed if you expect the fireworks we had this year. Those who have taken an interest before will know that it is always fascinating, but you will have to adapt your expectations for a different kind of competition in other years. Having said that, it is possible that Trump has changed things permanently, so that entitled insulting loudmouths become the norm, now that one has held sway this time. Let's hope not - it makes for interesting news, but undermines the whole system. God knows what we are in for over the next four years, but never mind, it all starts again in 2018 - though, unofficially, the next campaign has already started.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 29, 2016, 05:26:21 AM »

Everyone who has become President has been an exceptionally amazing and fascinating person. Unfortunately, I am unhealthily obsessed with the details of their lives and careers, and have a need to share these amazing facts. I've put some of them together as a little Presidential quiz for you, to get you to read a list of historic detail. It's not really a traditional sending-in-answers type of quiz, though feel free to guess any of them on here if you wish. I have tried to stay away from 'first President to .........' sort of thing (though there is a little of that) and focus on unusual or salacious occurrences in their lives. To stop it getting too long-winded, I have split it between modern Presidents and earlier. This first set of questions relates only to the recent ones, from FDR onwards.

To warm up, here is the list of recent Presidents, and their middle names. All you have to do is match the list of middle names with their owners. Its main purpose is to be a reminder for the hard-of-President when looking at the questions below, which relate to just these.

Franklin Roosevelt
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
John Kennedy
Lyndon Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
James Carter
Ronald Reagan
George Bush Snr
William Clinton
George Bush Jnr
Barack Obama

Middle Names:
Baines
David
Delano
Earl
Fitzgerald
Herbert
Hussein
Jefferson
Milhous
Rudolph
S                   (no middle name - his middle initial did not stand for anything)
Walker
Wilson

Bonus question - Eleven out of these thirteen Presidents were the object of assassination attempts during their term of office. Who were the only two that no-one tried to shoot?

Name the President:

1. This President vomited over the Japanese Prime Minister during a State dinner, and then fainted.

2. This President used his poker winnings to finance most of the cost of his first run for Congress.

3. This President saved 77 people from drowning during six summers as a life-guard. He later spent time working as a swimming coach, a stand-up comedian and a dish-washer.

4. Several Presidents have had affairs, but this President and his wife both had live-in mistresses at the White house at the same time. He had several affairs before and while he was President, including a secretary who stayed at the White House. His wife moved her long-term lesbian lover in for the last four years of the Presidency.

5. This President wrote in a letter to his wife "I think one man is just as good as another so long as he's honest and decent and not a nigger or a Chinaman". He also said that no Jew would ever be a guest in his house. His mother believed in the Confederate cause and refused to sleep in Lincoln's bed on a visit to the White House. On the other hand, he ended segregation in the US armed forces and was the first President to address the NAACP. He is also the only twentieth-century President who did not have a degree.

6. This President was the youngest pilot in the Navy and became a decorated war hero, flying 58 combat missions. He was the only one out of nine airmen shot down in an attack to evade capture by the Japanese, spending four hours in a tiny inflated raft. The others were all tortured and beheaded, and four of them were partially eaten by their captors.

7. At the age of 29, this President won the Most Nearly Perfect Male Figure award from the University of California, the prize being to model almost nude for an art class. His daughter later posed nude for Playboy and More magazines.

8. This President formed a rebellious group called The Muckers in his last year at school, limited to those too rich to be expelled. They succeeded in exploding a toilet seat, but came unstuck when attempting to have cattle manure deposited on the school's dance floor. His father, called to the school from his job as head of the Securities and Exchange Commission, privately approved of his son's activities, but told him that the group's name should not start with M.

9. This President claimed he had seen a UFO. He also claimed to have been attacked in a boat by a mad rabbit that swam at the boat, which was dismissed for years until footage of the incident emerged. No footage of the UFO, unfortunately.

10. This President was so poor after he left office that he complained he could not afford the postage to respond to the thousands of letters he was receiving. He and his wife moved in with his mother-in-law.

11. This President was an all-round sports star, including being the star football player at Michigan University, winning two national NCAA titles, being nominated as 'Most Valuable Player' and playing on the College All-Star team picked from all colleges. He turned down pro offers from Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions to attend Yale, where he paid his way by working as the university boxing coach. He also had a modelling career, appearing on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine.

12. Another war hero, who received numerous prestigious medals, including the Purple Heart. This President's patrol boat was cut in half. Instead of surrendering, he led his surviving men in a three-mile swim to an island, and then to a second island, from where they were rescued. Despite his own injuries, he towed a badly burned crewman through the water to the island with a life-jacket strap clenched between his teeth.

13. The daughter of one these two Presidents is married to the grandson of the other. The Presidential retreat, Camp David, is named after the grandson, as his grandfather thought that its previous name, Shangri-La, was too grand.

14. Only one President has won a Grammy (he won two). And his wife also won one. Also, only one President has won a Pulitzer Prize (you know, journalism).

15. This President was adopted. He was born Leslie Lynch King Jr, but his mother split from his abusive father and remarried, with the future President taking his new father's name. He served as President and Vice-President, but is the only President who was never elected to either position.

16. This President was an avid stamp collector, spending time on his collection every night, including several hours on the night of the day he received the most devastating news of his Presidency. He built one of the largest collections in the world, receiving the first sheets of every new stamp and amassed a vast collection of US and foreign first-day covers. He also designed many of the new stamps issued during his Presidency. You can form your own view as to whether this was a useful way for a President to spend his limited time.

17. This President's mother was Jewish, though he wasn't. He won the highest ever percentage of the popular vote. He was the only one to be sworn in by a woman, the first to appoint a Black person to his cabinet, the first to appoint a Black Supreme Court Judge and the first to meet a Pope. His intimidatory method of persuasion was known as The Treatment.

18. These two Presidents joined Congress at the same time and became close friends, although they had completely different backgrounds and personalities and represented opposing parties. Fourteen years later, they faced off for the Presidency, and they both ended up in the White House eventually. Both of them indulged in some skullduggery to win that first election. The Republican, who earned a place at Harvard but could not afford to go, falsely accused his opponent of being in hock to the unions and of being a Communist. The Democrat, who did go to Harvard, missed the deadline for filing his election papers, so got someone to let him into the Statehouse that night and added them to the others. The main local newspaper was owned by William Randolph Hearst, a family friend, who ensured that his main rival's name for the Democrat nomination did not appear once in the paper for the last two months of the campaign. He also paid a namesake of one of his opponents to run, splitting his vote.

19. This President collects comic books, specifically Spiderman and Conan the Barbarian. He is also the only modern President to have been a University Professor (Hillary Clinton would have been another).

20. There have been many assassination attempts on Presidents, mostly unsuccessful, but only two known to have been carried out by women. Both of them targeted the same President in unrelated incidents just 17 days apart. Who?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:28:13 AM by MintTrav » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1423 on: November 29, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »

Wow! Incredible stuff. That will keep me Googling for hours.

Thanks for all your efforts in this thread Mr T. It has enriched my life and broadened my knowledge base considerably.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:35:26 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 29, 2016, 09:45:59 AM »

Same here, fabulous stuff, & I'll be on Wiki & google for hours now.

What an odd thing that someone can have the middle name "S". How very bizarre, & I guess there must be a story behind that. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: