blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NFL 2017-18 season
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 77 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2017-18 season  (Read 197310 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »

Why don't running backs get more concussions?

They get hit in the head virtually every time they make a straight ahead run, yet seems to get less concuissions than players in other positions.

Just on the severity of the impact I think. Running flat out in to linemen is better than Earl Thomas/Ed Reed/Kam Chancellor turning themselves in to human missiles aimed ( more so in past) at your head. I guess we're still fairly early on in our understanding of it though. American Football has done well to take a bit of a lead on it but years of testing to come yet, they must all be damaging their brains really.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »

Any neutrals out there that saw last nights game think the eagles were hard done by in penalties 12 penalties last night for 126 yards compared to panthers 1 penalty for 1 yard

eagles were getting called for things that the panthers were getting no calls for,

in the last 2 games with that crew eagles have had 24 pens for 234 yards opponents 3 for 19

and in last 4 games 40 for 396 versus 8 for 72 yards,

are the eagles that dirty a team or has that team got it in for the eagles?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 13, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »

Any neutrals out there that saw last nights game think the eagles were hard done by in penalties 12 penalties last night for 126 yards compared to panthers 1 penalty for 1 yard

eagles were getting called for things that the panthers were getting no calls for,

in the last 2 games with that crew eagles have had 24 pens for 234 yards opponents 3 for 19

and in last 4 games 40 for 396 versus 8 for 72 yards,

are the eagles that dirty a team or has that team got it in for the eagles?

In amongst lots of good decisions, at times it was an odd game from the Zebras. I thought they missed two late hits on Cam. Other than that Philly were called on a couple of harsh ones (holding). They'll be right there this year I think :-).
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 14, 2017, 03:24:30 AM »

Why don't running backs get more concussions?

They get hit in the head virtually every time they make a straight ahead run, yet seems to get less concuissions than players in other positions.

Just on the severity of the impact I think. Running flat out in to linemen is better than Earl Thomas/Ed Reed/Kam Chancellor turning themselves in to human missiles aimed ( more so in past) at your head. I guess we're still fairly early on in our understanding of it though. American Football has done well to take a bit of a lead on it but years of testing to come yet, they must all be damaging their brains really.

Played some running back in UK pre-season for local team, like February/March, so have some experience. Got switched to WR because our team was stacked at RB, and ended up only really playing special teams because the other rookies were better than me. Great fun though, 10/10 would recommend.

Some of it is speed when they make contact - Obviously a WR running over the middle of the field and getting nailed by the free safety who is also running at full speed is a much harder impact. When a collision happens between the running back and a linebacker or the safety who has snuck up into the box, the tackler doesn't start a million miles off the line of scrimmage either. Plus, the defender has to actually read the run play first before they start moving towards the running back, otherwise they're going to screw up in pass protection. Neither player gets close to full speed when a tackle occurs around the line of scrimmage.

On top of that, changing direction at the line of scrimmage is often going to slow a running back down - RBs are coached to avoid sharp direction changes and keep speed up, but you're usually going to have to turn at some point to avoid running into the back of your O-Line, and at least slow down a little bit to do so.  There's sometimes traffic for the opposing player to get through to make the tackle as well, such as a TE or FB.

All of that means that neither player is close to full speed on a standard run play that goes for a gain of like 2-6 yards because there just isn't the time to accelerate fully, so the forces in the collision just aren't as big. Don't get me wrong, you still get hit pretty hard running inside, but it's more accumulation of hits over a game for running backs, rather than a particularly big hit.

Worth nothing that F=MV^2 - if you double the closing speed between two players, you quadruple the forces in the collision. So speed of collision is a huge factor

In addition, as a RB, you're constantly looking where the tacklers are coming from, because you carry the football away from tacklers to minimise the risk of fumbling (Then you put your other arm on the ball as you go into contact). For that reason, you're usually aware of where the hit is coming from, which helps because you can get your head out of the way and prepare for contact by getting yourself in a stronger position. When you're turning your head to catch a ball as a WR, you take your eyes off the defender(s), and you're not in any kind of body position to take a hit. Sometimes, you're either not expecting a hit, or have no idea where you're going to get hit from. From experience, getting blocked as you run down field on kickoffs is the absolute worst for that.

As a RB, you have to get your pad level low (low man wins), and therefore, you run quite low to the ground. As a WR, you run your route, then you might have to reach up to make a catch. If you get hit as you're making a catch, you're off balance, you're definitely hitting the floor, and from a much greater height. You see a lot of WRs getting concussions not from the tackle itself, but from where their helmet hits the ground. You don't see that with run plays all that often.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 15, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »

Dan Hanzus @DanHanzus

Damn, Tony Romo even strong in analysis of goal post boxing. "A little open on the left side when he threw the right."

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 16, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »

Just seen this on Twitter;

We are saddened to hear of the passing of our NFL expert Kevin Cadle. Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones at this difficult time

Very sad news, if true, though I've not seen it confirmed yet.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 16, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »

Confirmed, apparently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/us-sport/national-football-league/kevin-cadle-dead-dies-cause-of-death-british-basketball-coach-nfl-presenter-a8002561.html

He was just 62.

RIP.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Stopsleyhatter

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 16, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »

RIP. Apparently there will be a tribute at the twickenham game which is an excellent idea..
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 16, 2017, 02:55:55 PM »

Greatest basketball coach in British history (by a mile).  His teams were brutal to their opponents.  Helped build the game in the early days into potentially a huge sport in the glory days of the 1990s when British basketball was live on sky sports every weekend and played in front of 5 figure crowds in the biggest arenas in the UK and players were being attracted from top European leagues to play in the UK.  The TV companies pulled the plug in the early 2000's when ITV digital went skint and UK basketball has never recovered.  Huge factor in the growth of US sports in the UK as well via his presenting role.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 16, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »

Why did Sky fire him?

Never a word muttered why he left? Apart from his forlorn tweets hoping he'd be back soon.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: October 16, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

Why did Sky fire him?

Never a word muttered why he left? Apart from his forlorn tweets hoping he'd be back soon.

I was told he was warned about advertising a book and he then did it again.
Have no idea if true but the timings fit.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »

http://www.nfluk.com/news/specialfeatures/article-1/Getting-Cadled-A-tribute-by-Mike-Carlson/2942277d-53f0-4311-a073-4cb715e2486d
Pompeynick

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 22, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »

I am really shocked and saddened at the death of Kevin Cadle.
I remember the great battles between Portsmouth and his Kingston teams.
Later on watching him on Sky Sports, I always thought he came across as a knowledgeable and fun loving presenter.
I wondered why he was missing from the coverage this year, I will miss seeing him on TV .
R.I.P

Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:28 AM »

One of the fans has bought a giant banner at Foxborough tonight with the FOX 28-3 score box on it, it's draped over the wall at the back of one of the end zones Cheesy
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 24, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »

did everyone see this last night?
between wentz and dak the NFC east have a couple of great QBs for the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbLca4CvbCk

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 77 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: