blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:36:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  TAX/NI Query
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAX/NI Query  (Read 1258 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:55:26 PM »

I have had a look online but couldn't really find what I was looking for.   

A former employer gifted me shares 3 years ago,I was supposed to stay there for 3 years to enable me to cash them in.   However I left, but as part of the package they agreed to honour my shares.   They were encashed last week and I had worked out I would pay 10% dividend on them but having received confirmation of the sale from Equiniti today I have paid both basic rate of tax @ 20% and National Insurance Contributions.   I never expected to pay NI.  The Tax I sort of understand.

Anyone able to advise?  I had made some great plans for spending this bonus but I am now in receipt of much less than I had hoped, will I be able to recliam this through self assessment? 
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »

Unless they were provided through a tax-efficient scheme then it's likely to be correct. Otherwise everyone would be paid in shares and avoid NI.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »

Makes perfect sense. 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »

They'd have to be classed as a benefit in kind so yeah they're subject to tax and NI the same as any salary.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/non-cash-pay-shares-commodities-you-provide-to-your-employees
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:50:02 PM by EvilPie » Logged

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 02:25:45 AM »

Any idea if it was a SAYE, CSOP/EMI, ESOPS, SIP of unapproved share plan? The answer to that will drive the answer
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »

Any idea if it was a SAYE, CSOP/EMI, ESOPS, SIP of unapproved share plan? The answer to that will drive the answer

I had a separate share plan/share save scheme which I can draw down on in September, but this was purely a gift of shares due to length of service when the company floated.   I huess I just need to suck this one up.   
BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »

Depending on the sums involved, it might be worth taking proper advice on your tax position.
The details are too sketchy to advise properly. If you were outright gifted shares at the time then I would have expected you to have suffered tax at the point of the gift (3years ago)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »

Depending on the sums involved, it might be worth taking proper advice on your tax position.
The details are too sketchy to advise properly. If you were outright gifted shares at the time then I would have expected you to have suffered tax at the point of the gift (3years ago)

They were gifted 3 years ago under the provision that I had to be employed by the company for a further 3 years no monetary offer was given at the time.   When I left, it was part of a re-structure of my role and as such the company agreed to honour the shares and my share save scheme.   It's a little mess, the shares themselve it's not a huge amount but on my bag of a beer mat calculations it was enough to get a new kitchen fitted and get some flights booked for Vegas (cheap seats)  but I'll now be putting the holiday on the back burner.   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: