blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Incoming
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Incoming  (Read 3069 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »

I was reminded this morning of the range of ways we are instantly contactable these days.

There's really no escape if we have a PC, Laptop or smartphone.

I had a quick tot up, & these routes all came to mind.

Forum posts on various forums we belong to.

PM's on blonde

PM's Next Door

Tweets to our Twitter feed.

Twitter DM's.

e-Mails to our private account, in my case Yahoo.

e-Mails to Microsoft Outlook

Telephone calls

Text Messages

Lync Instant Messaging

I-Pad Instant Messaging

Letters through the post.

That's a dozen or more without even thinking too hard about it. Most folks seem to have Facebook, too, that'd be two more routes, via FB posts & FB messages.

And they come via Desktop, Laptop, I-pad or smartphone. We can't hide now.

Sign up for free wifi at a service station or airport, subscribe to a newsletter or open an account for something, they want an e-Mail addy, then comes the spam.

Bet I get 20 spam messages every damn day, they are hard to avoid.

In the evening, I try to switch most stuff off, but then the phone rings, or a text comes through.

There is no escape, is there?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:39:15 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »

When we were kids, there were exactly two routes - letters & postcards.

We'd look & listen out for the postie every day. We knew he was coming as all the dogs barked.

Will he stop at our house? Will there be something for me?

Mostly no, but sometimes, yes yes yes.

Getting a postcard from Aunty Maud at the seaside, or from a young lady we maybe had the hots for, even better. Whatever happened to postcards?

Letters were wonderful. I used to send off for stuff just so I could get a letter back. Mostly I had to send a SAE, so I'd get my own envelope back.

My all time favourite was a chap who claimed he had a foolproof method to win the football pools. Whatever happened to football pools? Wow, how exciting was Sports Report at 5pm. All football matches of course started at 3pm on a Saturday. 

The fella with the foolproof method ("The Infra Draw Method") advertised on Radio Luxembourg & the pirate radio stations, his name was Horace Batchelor, from K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M near Bristol.

Think I loved Horace because he sent me letters. He's passed on now, poor soul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Batchelor

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »

I am on call 24 hours a day unless i switch off everything. Quite depressing really

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »

Sometimes we just feel like saying GO AWAY.

We go on holiday & still get harassed.

GO AWAY

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »

My favourite part of that is the journo shouting "WE'RE ASKING YOU QUESTIONS!"

The intention being to say we are being reasonable and you are not.

All the most reasonable questions are shouted IMO. Perhaps he thought Sir Philip just hadn't heard the question.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »

My most used function on my smartphone is auto reject. I constantly get disturbed by people trying to sell me stuff relating to my business. It happens just once then I add the number to auto reject and never hear from them again.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:21 PM »

We'd look & listen out for the postie every day. We knew he was coming as all the dogs barked.

Getting a postcard from Aunty Maud at the seaside, or from a young lady we maybe had the hots for, even better. Whatever happened to postcards?

Letters were wonderful. I used to send off for stuff just so I could get a letter back. Mostly I had to send a SAE, so I'd get my own envelope back.

My all time favourite was a chap who claimed he had a foolproof method to win the football pools. Whatever happened to football pools? Wow, how exciting was Sports Report at 5pm. All football matches of course started at 3pm on a Saturday. 

The fella with the foolproof method ("The Infra Draw Method") advertised on Radio Luxembourg & the pirate radio stations, his name was Horace Batchelor, from K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M near Bristol.

Don't forget Tony we could always walk and knock on a friends door. After my Sunday lunch I would just wait to hear the sound of football boots clinking up the entry, calling at all our mates on the way to the park for 14 a side with jumpers for goal posts.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:19:44 PM »

I was reminded this morning of the range of ways we are instantly contactable these days.

There's really no escape if we have a PC, Laptop or smartphone.

I had a quick tot up, & these routes all came to mind.

Forum posts on various forums we belong to.

PM's on blonde

PM's Next Door

Tweets to our Twitter feed.

Twitter DM's.

e-Mails to our private account, in my case Yahoo.

e-Mails to Microsoft Outlook

Telephone calls

Text Messages

Lync Instant Messaging

I-Pad Instant Messaging

Letters through the post.

That's a dozen or more without even thinking too hard about it. Most folks seem to have Facebook, too, that'd be two more routes, via FB posts & FB messages.

And they come via Desktop, Laptop, I-pad or smartphone. We can't hide now.

Sign up for free wifi at a service station or airport, subscribe to a newsletter or open an account for something, they want an e-Mail addy, then comes the spam.

Bet I get 20 spam messages every damn day, they are hard to avoid.

In the evening, I try to switch most stuff off, but then the phone rings, or a text comes through.

There is no escape, is there?

Just download whatsapp and you can do away with all the others.

The older I get, the better I was.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »

AM deliveries and PM deliveries in those days , double the delight.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »

Number 3:

Click to see full-size image.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »

I have a cracking app on my laptop called freedom.to which blocks out many of these distracting websites like social media at preset intervals, really handy.

A few years back I had a problem at work where it was expected that I would respond to anything at any time. It really started to piss me off until I realised it was because I was simply responding to everything so quickly. I eventually started politely pushing back and adding a few 'I'll respond laters' and 'I won't be available at these times' and for the most part everyone was really respectful of that.

I have way more energy when I force myself off of news/social media/emails for set periods.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: