blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Latest Grimmer Alert
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Latest Grimmer Alert  (Read 7483 times)
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 02:41:20 AM »

Never been so shocked by a scamming story to be honest.  It has many similarities to the Blatch thread.

A lot of the people affected are people that I know personally, and these aren't pro poker players.  They are good, enthusiastic recreational players - some winning, some breakeven.  The sums compared to the stakes that they play are quite shocking.  With the Blatch thread, most of the victims were either hardened regulars of the gambling world so I guess they knew the risks a bit more.

Reading the messages that he sent I can't quite believe how so many were taken in by a really poor story.

I guess he gave the illusion of someone with money, told many that he had a good business and also appeared to have had a decent run of form at some live events.

I had the opportunity to watch his play, and also play with him many times and knew that his good results really was just variance because his play was limited at best.  There was a live tournament that I did commentary on where he played the most awful, nitty style I've ever seen that just didn't tie into the same player that I knew.  Looking back now he must have been hanging on for a min cash to tide him over/give him money to spin.

GL on the people involved in getting something back.  It looks like maybe some form of justice via legal means is the most likely way for that to happen.
RogueOne
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »

To all affected, I am so sorry this happened to you.  I seem to be the odd one out in terms of knowing Neil IRL (was with him in Marbella when he shipped the UKIPT HR) and not being sent the C&P sob story.

As Scotty77 says, this really is a story of cynically playing on the good nature of good, normal people.  Most earned the money they gave in 'real life' jobs...because they thought they were doing a friend a favour in a tough spot with his business.  Many of them are finding their lives altered by the sums they gave.

The worst story surrounds his longterm best friend, whom he persuaded to leave his longstanding employment and go work for him...only to steal from him and leave him jobless.  That guy's family sure are picking up the pieces on Neil's gambling addiction.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: