blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48602 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »

FWIW my 6 year old nephew did seconds over 30 minutes in the parkrun.  Kids going to go far.

I bet he could have gone around again too the little blighter.

The older I get, the better I was.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2017, 09:33:55 PM »

Can't say enough good things about the ParkRun. I've just about managed to keep up the running after my C25k challenge at the school I work in earlier in the year.

I have done several now and try and get involved as many Saturdays as I can. I also take my boys ( aged 6 and Cool to the kids one which is 2km. It is inspiring to see about 100 kids at 9am on a Sunday morning out of bed and away from mobile devices running round the park with huge grins on their faces. I will admit to being a soppy so and so and get a twinge of pride every week when my boys finish. Completely volunteer ran and both the adults and kids are ran in such a supportive manner, what's not to like.

I'd urge everyone to give it a go!
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »

After starting running 4 months ago I'm absolutely loving it. Never had myself down as a jogger but it feels good. The wonders it has done to my sleep is enough that I'm confident I'll keep it up for a long time.

Managed to shed a few excess pounds and can now safely tuck into carbs and the odd dessert guilt-free.

Long term goal is to do a half marathon in April next year.

Would encourage anyone apprehensive about starting or feeling down after some poor initial efforts to persevere, it gets a lot easier after a few weeks.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »

After starting running 4 months ago I'm absolutely loving it. Never had myself down as a jogger but it feels good. The wonders it has done to my sleep is enough that I'm confident I'll keep it up for a long time.

Managed to shed a few excess pounds and can now safely tuck into carbs and the odd dessert guilt-free.

Long term goal is to do a half marathon in April next year.

Would encourage anyone apprehensive about starting or feeling down after some poor initial efforts to persevere, it gets a lot easier after a few weeks.

Got to echo this, just keep at it.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »

This is about where I'm at now. I run 3 times a week, I do 3 miles at least once, sometimes twice and two miles on my 'easy' day.

On the days I don't run I walk 2 miles-ish and do a couple of 100yd sprints as fast as I can, (which is a lot slower than it used to be.

Still haven't done a park run cos I haven't got any running shoes yet and I'll look like a nelly running in my boots.

Click to see full-size image.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »

Hello again

After the park run a couple of weeks ago and a very long walk round London for a few days, my legs needed a rest, so I didn't ri
un for a week.

i am now in wk 5 of the couch to 5k. 

The first run was 5min, walk, 5min, walk, 5min.  No issues with this as I had done a 5min split before

The second run this morning was 8min run, 5 min wall, 8 min run.  This felt essier than expected, though I was flagging a bit at the end of the second 8 minute run.  I didn't stop, but felt very much like it would be nice to.

The next run is down for 20 minutes in one go.  That feels a big old leap.  Did others make this leap, or do an easier step.  I was thinking maybe do 10 minutes run, 5 mins walk, 10 minutes run or maybe 12 minutes run, 5 minutes walk, 8 minutes run.

I started the week with a maximum run of 5 minutes, to finish on 20 minutes seems too much and out of step with the gentler progression both before and after.  I don't want to do it if it sets me back like the park run did.  Advice please from others who have done this step. 

Cheers

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »

Hello again

After the park run a couple of weeks ago and a very long walk round London for a few days, my legs needed a rest, so I didn't ri
un for a week.

i am now in wk 5 of the couch to 5k.  

The first run was 5min, walk, 5min, walk, 5min.  No issues with this as I had done a 5min split before

The second run this morning was 8min run, 5 min wall, 8 min run.  This felt essier than expected, though I was flagging a bit at the end of the second 8 minute run.  I didn't stop, but felt very much like it would be nice to.

The next run is down for 20 minutes in one go.  That feels a big old leap.  Did others make this leap, or do an easier step.  I was thinking maybe do 10 minutes run, 5 mins walk, 10 minutes run or maybe 12 minutes run, 5 minutes walk, 8 minutes run.

I started the week with a maximum run of 5 minutes, to finish on 20 minutes seems too much and out of step with the gentler progression both before and after.  I don't want to do it if it sets me back like the park run did.  Advice please from others who have done this step.  

Cheers

Hi Doobs.

Yes, that leap to 20 min seems ludicrous, especially as you go back to shorter runs immediately afterwards. I had to Google to see if I was doing it right.

You will find you can do it though, just make sure you keep the pace nice and slow.

HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »

I did exactly what you suggested - two lots of 10 minutes.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Do it as scripted. The full 20 mins. No breaks.

It is definitely a leap. But I think the week builds you up to it and I think the point of week 6 starting easier is to give you a rest of sorts. Enjoy it whilst it lasts - by the end of week 6 you won't be getting anymore breaks.

One thing it does say though is you can repeat weeks. So if it felt too much of a jump maybe repeat week 5 again. Hopefully by the time you get to the 20 mins it will be easier the second time around.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:58:10 PM by Cf » Logged

Blue text
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2017, 10:51:23 PM »

Well made it to 20 minutes.  I started with a 2 minute uphill run which I was regretting quite a bit for the first 5 minutes.  But it did make the last, downhill, five minutes easier. 

I must be running near two thirds of the park run distance now, so getting closer to running one non-stop.  That is someting that didn't really seem possible when I was struggling to run for a minute on day 1. 

I probay timed this all pretty badly with the nights closing in.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »

Well made it to 20 minutes.  I started with a 2 minute uphill run which I was regretting quite a bit for the first 5 minutes.  But it did make the last, downhill, five minutes easier. 

I must be running near two thirds of the park run distance now, so getting closer to running one non-stop.  That is someting that didn't really seem possible when I was struggling to run for a minute on day 1. 

I probay timed this all pretty badly with the nights closing in.

Keep it up Doobs, the worst is over.

I run in the mornings so short days wont affect me, but my daughter runs in the evening so I marked out a well lit one mile circuit around the village and she uses that.

Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »

Good work keep it up guys.

Ive had about 4 weeks off running due to an injury / working away & a holiday, I put on half a stone in that period so just started back at it this week.

There is a park run in Cheltenham, about 20 miles from where I live so thinking about giving this a go in a couple of weeks.

Surprisingly, my pace seems to be pretty good but find increasing distance hard work at the moment.

Dapper Street Menswear
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »

Ive had about 4 weeks off running due to an injury / working away & a holiday, I put on half a stone in that period so just started back at it this week.

There is a park run in Cheltenham, about 20 miles from where I live so thinking about giving this a go in a couple of weeks.

Surprisingly, my pace seems to be pretty good but find increasing distance hard work at the moment.

Aren't you just running too fast?  I know I am pretty hopeless, but I am just concentrating on keeping going right now.  My sister in law does half marathons and marathons and you'd leave her for dust at that pace. 

Officially rained off tonight.  Was walking home thinking I could run in this and the heavens opened.  Might have to try getting a run in before work but the weather forecast isn't great.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »

Yep, pace is way too fast. Needs to be slowed down a lot. 6min/km tops for an easy run.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »

Aren't you just running too fast?  I know I am pretty hopeless, but I am just concentrating on keeping going right now.  My sister in law does half marathons and marathons and you'd leave her for dust at that pace.  

Officially rained off tonight.  Was walking home thinking I could run in this and the heavens opened.  Might have to try getting a run in before work but the weather forecast isn't great.

Yep, pace is way too fast. Needs to be slowed down a lot. 6min/km tops for an easy run.

Make sense guys, problem is i normally really only get a maximum of 30 minutes to run before I have to go to work, as mainly run first thing in the morning.

I am going to try a longer run at the weekend when i have some more free time and bring the pace down to 6m/km and see what happens.

Will report back with some results.

Quick question, would it be better to do two longer slower runs a week rather than run 5k/quick pace every other day? Or is just mixing it up a good way to carry on??
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:09:50 AM by Tractor » Logged

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: