blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Romania and stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Romania and stuff  (Read 38347 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »

Wow just stumbled across this.
I was/am TommyPlus, the original author. I somehow lost the log in details and could not recover them no matter how hard I tried.
As some of you can tell from my new username I moved on from Kazakhstan to Romania for various reasons.
I think I will resurrect this blog and kindly request a title amendment from the powers that be.

Great stuff.

We can probably get the thread title amended - presumably you'd like "Romania and stuff"?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2018, 12:49:35 PM »

Never did deliver pictures of the Thug pub!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »

Welcome back.

Post often.

Thanks man, I will try my best
Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »

Wow just stumbled across this.
I was/am TommyPlus, the original author. I somehow lost the log in details and could not recover them no matter how hard I tried.
As some of you can tell from my new username I moved on from Kazakhstan to Romania for various reasons.
I think I will resurrect this blog and kindly request a title amendment from the powers that be.

Great stuff.

We can probably get the thread title amended - presumably you'd like "Romania and stuff"?
Succinct, I like it.
Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

Never did deliver pictures of the Thug pub!

It's my biggest shame in this thread and probably stopped me starting it back up again sooner. I am combing my cloud to sate this request. Hopefully I can deliver on this. It's a great pub.
Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »

A quick aside before I head out for a couple of hours work.

I got talking to a  Romanian girl I work with about the lack of tourists here in Bucharest compared with other European capitals. Beaches and mountains are close enough, there are some (infamous) historical sites to visit and the city itself is typical gritty and trendy.
After much deliberation we decided it's solely down to the fact Bucharest doesn't have a logo! Branding and marketing are so important in all walks of life.

This little chat got me thinking more about logos and although I have no evidence I would guess they have evolved from the old(and current) Olympic bid logos.

A nostalgic trawl through history followed....

The good

The bad

The unfathomably expensive

Click to see full-size image.

Designed by the good people of London based brand consultancy firm, Wolff Olins for the bargain price of $625,000

Finally, the nostalgic

More riveting logo talk to follow...
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »

I've changed the thread title, and it shows correctly on the Diary Board, but it's not populated the individual posts yet. Maybe it will show on all new posts.

If not, I will find a mod who actually knows what they are doing and get them to sort it.

PS - looks like all new posts show the updated title
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:53:02 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2018, 01:44:22 PM »

I still want to know who to thank for pointing out that the London Olympics logo looks like Lisa Simpson doing a Monica Lewinsky!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »

I still want to know who to thank for pointing out that the London Olympics logo looks like Lisa Simpson doing a Monica Lewinsky!

I think that was Jonathan Ross, back when he was on the BBC.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »

That's somebody's daughter!

Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2018, 08:07:38 AM »

Logos part 2

Town and city logos should distill a place into the very essence of existence. They should entice, excite and imbue your subconscious until a visit is a mere formality.

Exhibit A

Fantastically, this really is the official logo of Burnley. A snip as part of a 110 grand re-branding scheme.

Better efforts

So come on city of Bucharest, get your finger out and give us a decent logo!

Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2018, 12:19:11 PM »

Settling in Romania

We arrived in August of this year minus our beloved dog Lulu who was forced to spend an extended holiday in Almaty, Kazakhstan due to the plethora of red tape to be overcome regarding her pet passport.

Here is our magnificent beast... she's some kind of maltese/shitzu cross of which the exact percentages I am unsure of.

I flew back to Almaty, collected Lulu, bribed various government officials and procured a Kazakh pet passport.

Throughout the preceding months I had heard and read numerous horror stories from people trying to get non EU animals into Europe. It's all about the threat of rabies apparently. All animals need to be micro-chipped and scanned at specified airports and any minor problems such as the airport's scanner was broken means you were sent back on your way.

Moving from a dark green to a light green was seemingly impossible without a ton of paperwork or a spell in quarantine. Due the the Kazakh proclivity to accept Tenge for dodgy paperwork their official stuff had zero credibility so I was worried as I disembarked clutching a pet carrier containing a nervous Lulu at Henri Coanda Airport in Bucharest.

I had been advised to seek out the veterinary office which I assumed would resemble this.....

I arrive at human passport control and it went like this

Me: Hello (hands over human passport and tries to look as little like a Cali cartel member as possible. Seriously what facial expression do people go for when greeting passport control? Smiling seems to invite suspicion as a double bluff)
Lady officer: Hello
Me: I also have my dog here
Officer: Can I see the pet passport
Me: (Hands over Lulu's passport)
Officer: (leans over counter whilst looking at the optional photo in the passport that I had glued in myself) Oh she's so cute (hands back passport) Have a pleasant stay in Romania
Me: ....................... (quietly walks through, collects my bag and drives home)

That was it, she looked at a photo I had DIY'd in myself. No micro chip scan, no rabies injection certificate scrutiny, no brown envelopes passed discreetly under the table (How I miss Kazakhstan), absolutely nothing.

So that's the story of Lulu and also the laxity of EU borders. I quickly swapped her Kazakh passport for an official EU one and now she is free to travel anywhere in the world.

Should we be worried at the lack of stringent borders in the EU? Probably, but I had my dog back and I didn't care at all.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »

Great to have this back.

Travel and dogs is the best combo.

Best Bitter.
Hagi

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »

Great to have this back.

Travel and dogs is the best combo.

I appreciate those words, lots more of both to follow for sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: