blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laptop to run Pio
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laptop to run Pio  (Read 6936 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »

Anyone running pio on a laptop? Recs and advice appreciated

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:39:57 AM »

I'm just about to replace my office tower with something new, and have been messing about with specs online.

Interested to see what comes up here, as I might just get a laptop, and keep my current tower.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »

https://uk-store.acer.com/predator-21-x-curved-gaming-notebook 

But seriously, I'd be looking at a cloud-based solution. At 76 cents an hour for an 8-core 32GB server, you can run a whole forest's worth of trees for a fraction of the price of a high-spec laptop, plus the cost of cloud computing is only going to fall in the long term.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

https://uk-store.acer.com/predator-21-x-curved-gaming-notebook 

But seriously, I'd be looking at a cloud-based solution. At 76 cents an hour for an 8-core 32GB server, you can run a whole forest's worth of trees for a fraction of the price of a high-spec laptop, plus the cost of cloud computing is only going to fall in the long term.

That sounds very interesting mate because ideally I just wanna keep my MacBook and run it off there but it's a windows obly piece of kit and my Mac has no free space anyway (any tips on how to clear space there would be great as well btw!?)

Could you explain the cloud server thing in lehmans terms please?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »

Cloud computing, there are two major players - Amazon (Amazon Web Services (AWS)) and Microsoft (Azure). They have massive server farms running all over the globe, running clever software that means these farms look and act as though they are thousands/millions of individual PCs/servers to the outside world. You rent one of these virtual PCs (called virtual machines (VMs)) and only pay for the minutes/hours that you're using it - the cost starts when you press 'On' and stop when you press 'Shutdown'. There are no fees when it's turned off. You access the VM through standard desktop software similar to Teamviewer (called Remote Desktop).

You usually get to choose where your VM is hosted. For PIO purposes it will make bugger all difference if it's in Europe, US or Timbuktu as all the processing is done inside the VM and then a comparatively small amount of data (charts, EV figures) will need to be transmitted back to you, whereas if you were a corporate running your enterprise business software on it then you'd want it hosted as close to your users as possible to avoid screen lag.

Microsoft and Amazon can offer different types of VM for different purposes. Entry-level lower powered computing for developing code, testing etc. High CPU power for intensive batch programs (like PIO). High storage capacity for big databases etc. The more power you want, the more the per-hour rental costs.

The theory is that the horsepower behind the VM is elastic, so if you want to add more RAM or more storage or more CPUs then it's a flick of a switch to do that rather than having to physically install more hardware or even reinstall on a new machine.

So, for example:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/virtual-machines/windows/

An entry level VM with 2 CPUs and 4GB RAM is £0.025/hour i.e. if you left it on 24/7/365 (but why would you?) it would cost £219/year.

A "compute optimised" VM with 32 CPUs and 64GB RAM is £1.02/hour.

A "compute optimised" VM with 64 CPUs and 128GB RAM is £4.11/hour.

So you open Remote Desktop, login to your VM and off you go. Install PIO, do whatever it does (run trees I believe), email the results to yourself and turn off the VM. Later that day/week/month, you log back in, turn the VM on and carry on. Once a month, Microsoft/Amazon send you an invoice.

A quick read of the PIO FAQ suggests it's a personal licence so one option to potentially reduce your cloud costs would be to install PIO on both your VM and local PC. Do all the preparatory work on your local PC that might take some time (create ranges, stack sizes, action etc.*) and then upload the resulting script to the VM and let it do the heavy computing work.

* I'm making assumptions here on how it works from a two minute scan of the PIO website.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »

Mac disk space - I don't know much about Macs but this looks sensible and is a trusted site.

https://www.howtogeek.com/184091/5-ways-to-free-up-disk-space-on-a-mac/
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »

Wow, thanks so much, looks like this is just what I need. <3 blonde

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »

i've rented a dedicated server for pio before

ovh.co.uk and online.net offer some sick set ups that are great for pio

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »

Thanks to teddy and Longines, I have got this working now. I found Microsoft Azure the easiest to set up (for a tech noob) and now have a virtual machine of my own to run pio on. Haven't done much testing yet, using Pio free for now, and a free trial on Azure with a 16GB ram and 4x core but may need to go bigger - I think it's very cheap whatever you use, so long as you pay per hour).

Cheers guys. Anyone who wants me to help them set this kind of thing up, shoot me a message and I'll try and help.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

And this is why I stick to grinding slots Cheesy

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:53:09 AM »

Before you start running a virtual machine for hours you can buy a lot of the PIO solutions for fairly cheap. Or get someone with a good comp to run them for you for free Smiley
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »

What is Pio?

Google tells me it is a person of Indian origing!
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »

PIO mode - Computer Definition. (Programmed Input/Output mode) The data transfer mode used by earlier IDE drives. The PIO mode used the CPU's registers for data transfer in contrast with DMA, which transfers directly between main memory and the peripheral device.

I think this is what they are talking about could be wrong though.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »

As we're on a poker forum I'm going to take a shot at this: https://www.piosolver.com/

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »

As we're on a poker forum I'm going to take a shot at this: https://www.piosolver.com/

Yes, thanks.  I found it hard to believe it was some Indian chap!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: