blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Legalities of cash games in private members clubs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legalities of cash games in private members clubs  (Read 2644 times)
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »

Hi all, I run a tournament in a local private members club every Tuesday where after the main game the players have a small cash game for a couple of hours.

Now the legalities about the tournament are easy to find and we are well within the law there, so no problems. The problem I am having is that the legalities about cash games don't seem to be as clear.

I *think* that because all the money paid in to the pot is returned to the players, and that we use chips to play rather than cash, and the club doesn't charge a fee or rake to play, that we are OK. But I am not sure! Can anyone tell me for definite please?

It is a small cash game - 25p/25p blinds, and we allow players to buyin up to £25 total in a night, either in one go, or two.

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »

I would like to know what the legalities of a cash game at home on the kitchen table are.

The older I get, the better I was.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »

Found this if it helps (http://www.thegoodgamblingguide.co.uk/games/poker/legal_poker_uk.htm)

Poker in a Club (Private Members Club)
Poker can be played in clubs as long as it takes account of the conditions that apply to gaming in clubs, including limits on stakes and prizes.

The maximum stake per player is £10 per game, and the combined stakes for your premises must not exceed £250 per day and £1,000 per week.

The maximum prize is £250 per game.

A maximum participation fee of £1 per person per day can be charged by a members’ club, with or without a club machine permit. A commercial club with a club machine permit can charge £3 per person per day, but only £1 otherwise.

Private Cash Poker
Private Cash Poker (as opposed to tournaments) is allowed but Gaming is only private if it occurs in a place to which the public does not have access (normally a private dwelling, hostel, hall of residnece or similar establishment). No charge may be made for participation in private gaming (and this includes an entrance fee or other charge for admission), nor may any amounts be deducted from stakes or prizes. No profits can be made from private gaming, irrespective of how the organiser intends to use those profits.

Private gaming can potentially take place on commercial premises in circumstances where a members’ club hires a room in, for example, a pub or hotel for a private function where equal chance gaming only is played. However, organisers would need to scrutinise very carefully the arrangements put in place to make sure that the particular area of the pub, hotel or other venue in which the gaming takes place is not, on the occasion of the private function, a place to which the public have access and that those participating are not selected by a process which means that, in fact, they are members of the public rather than members of the club. The law in this area is complex and organisers are strongly advised to seek their own legal advice before organising events of this nature.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »

Found this if it helps (http://www.thegoodgamblingguide.co.uk/games/poker/legal_poker_uk.htm)

Poker in a Club (Private Members Club)
Poker can be played in clubs as long as it takes account of the conditions that apply to gaming in clubs, including limits on stakes and prizes.

The maximum stake per player is £10 per game, and the combined stakes for your premises must not exceed £250 per day and £1,000 per week.

The maximum prize is £250 per game.

A maximum participation fee of £1 per person per day can be charged by a members’ club, with or without a club machine permit. A commercial club with a club machine permit can charge £3 per person per day, but only £1 otherwise.

Private Cash Poker
Private Cash Poker (as opposed to tournaments) is allowed but Gaming is only private if it occurs in a place to which the public does not have access (normally a private dwelling, hostel, hall of residnece or similar establishment). No charge may be made for participation in private gaming (and this includes an entrance fee or other charge for admission), nor may any amounts be deducted from stakes or prizes. No profits can be made from private gaming, irrespective of how the organiser intends to use those profits.

Private gaming can potentially take place on commercial premises in circumstances where a members’ club hires a room in, for example, a pub or hotel for a private function where equal chance gaming only is played. However, organisers would need to scrutinise very carefully the arrangements put in place to make sure that the particular area of the pub, hotel or other venue in which the gaming takes place is not, on the occasion of the private function, a place to which the public have access and that those participating are not selected by a process which means that, in fact, they are members of the public rather than members of the club. The law in this area is complex and organisers are strongly advised to seek their own legal advice before organising events of this nature.

Perfect. Cheers Stuart.

The older I get, the better I was.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »

Thanks Stuart, I had seen that but having re-read it I am thinking we are OK because 'members of the public' are not allowed in to the club, you have to be a member.

Although saying that you can sign a guest in - I hope that the fact you have to sign them in means that it is still OK as members of the public can't just wander in, unlike a pub for example.

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: