blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Is there really any difference....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there really any difference....  (Read 3460 times)
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »

........ Between spinning up a small amount via sats to qualify for the UKPC and spinning up the same in tournament winnings and buying in direct?
I'm a rec so have no bankroll* I just play small stakes(between £5 and £22 normally) and because of shift work/kids/social life I struggle to find the time to play multi phase satellites and think that there's more chance of me spinning up £1100 than qualifying via sats. I mean, it's poker paying for it ultimately, isn't it?

*so I just buy in. If I win a decent amount, I withdraw a chunk and leave a smaller chunk to play with and I don't track what goes in and out, rather than leave larger amounts in my poker accounts.

Cymru am byth
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »

Only difference I can see is the overlays in Party Sats for UKPC, otherwise you're right

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »

playing a £10 satellite to a £1k and playing a £10 comp and winning £1k then using the money to buy in to a £1k tournament is pretty much exactly the same in application.

Few subtle differences, payout structure in satellites is completely flat so if you are playing with the intention of winning £1000 to enter a £1k tournament with, strategically a satellite is your best option. IF that is your objective.

Physiological difference is that when you win a satellite you're just in, turn up on the day and play. If you win £1000 and then plan to buy in with it unless you can buy in on the same site you would have to withdraw the cash into your bank and then use it to buy in, becomes much more like real money...and much less like a prize you won once it's in your bank, but I guess that affect will vary massively depending on who you are and your financial position in general.

But yes, nuts and bolts you gambled, won £1000 and are now using that £1000 to gamble with again in both instances

mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »

Good solid explanation there
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:50:01 PM »

I think there is a big difference.

Entering a 5k sat with 5 1k packages means 5 people get one.  Entering a 5k tournament mean it is likely only one person gets enough.  So if the 1k entry is exactly what you want, the sat is a lot more efficient.  MTTs pretty much guarantee you end up with too much or too little, so you'll likely spend more trying to get your 1k than you need to. 

I am sure everyone has heard tales where gambler X has £970 and burns the lot trying to get the extra £30.  I'll be pretty surprised if we did a poll here and found less have gone through the whole gambler X experience than haven't.  It is just one of those rites of passage. 

I think there is another psychological angle too.  If you have paid a hundred quid to get in a tourney, you'll be more relaxed than if you had paid a grand.   Logically there is no difference, but people's brains play tricks.  I find it much easier psychologically to burn £1k online than 1k cash even now, and I think my mental game is pretty strong.  Stupid thinking, but very much true.

If your only option for you is MTTs, sure do that, but if your aim is to get the 1k entry, I think the best way is a sat.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
alfiesdad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »

v good explanation

I think there is a big difference.

Entering a 5k sat with 5 1k packages means 5 people get one.  Entering a 5k tournament mean it is likely only one person gets enough.  So if the 1k entry is exactly what you want, the sat is a lot more efficient.  MTTs pretty much guarantee you end up with too much or too little, so you'll likely spend more trying to get your 1k than you need to. 

I am sure everyone has heard tales where gambler X has £970 and burns the lot trying to get the extra £30.  I'll be pretty surprised if we did a poll here and found less have gone through the whole gambler X experience than haven't.  It is just one of those rites of passage. 

I think there is another psychological angle too.  If you have paid a hundred quid to get in a tourney, you'll be more relaxed than if you had paid a grand.   Logically there is no difference, but people's brains play tricks.  I find it much easier psychologically to burn £1k online than 1k cash even now, and I think my mental game is pretty strong.  Stupid thinking, but very much true.

If your only option for you is MTTs, sure do that, but if your aim is to get the 1k entry, I think the best way is a sat.

Twitter - @leeavy
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:02:18 PM »

Another advantage of playing to win cash rather than the seat is sometimes sat winners are happy to sell their seat for less than face value so you can get a £1100 seat quite often for £950 or £1000 in cash.
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »

I tend to just work out how much I have, and how many successful even money roulette spins are required to achieve what I need.  So if you have 50 quid and I need a grand, only 5 flips and you have your buy in plus beer money. What could possibly go wrong

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »

I tend to just work out how much I have, and how many successful even money roulette spins are required to achieve what I need.  So if you have 50 quid and I need a grand, only 5 flips and you have your buy in plus beer money. What could possibly go wrong

Saw this done on blackjack by mad Marty in Dundee in one of my first forays into festivals
Was a thing of beauty right down to being £40 short having £50 in his box and splitting 3 times against a 6
He only made one hand but dealer went 4 5 ten not one swear word was uttered honest

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: