blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Rob Yong’s blog
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rob Yong’s blog  (Read 3948 times)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2018, 11:36:17 PM »

Finally!

Are we really going to see an end to re-entry?

I've probably stopped re-entry at DTD at least 5 times in the past few years, only to give in to player moans. I get it, we had re-buys, then freezeouts and now re-entry + Day 2 buy-in. But, I remember playing the original EPTs, the excitement sitting down at the start with hundreds of other hopefuls and famous faces, hearing ‘shuffle up and deal’ – the relief when I swerved an opponent’s nut flush draw, knocking out a top pro and him really being ‘out’,  the feeling of accomplishment making day 2, chatting at the bar with friends about all the hands I played and the anticipation of getting a good table draw on Day 2. Apart from the WSOP Main Event, most players don’t experience this nowadays, you can wander in anytime and register, if you have deep pockets or are staked you don’t worry about busting, and you can easily make Day 2 – just skip Day 1 and buy-in on Day 2! You don’t often get seated with a famous player as they tend to late reg, sometimes you can start with less than 10% of the field, and it must be soul destroying to bust Fedor Holz and have to bust him again...and again!

https://partypokerlive.com/en/news/rob-yong-blog-update-random-comments

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:47:30 PM »

I would love to see the end of re-entries, even if it means much smaller guarantees. I'm really not sure this trend for bigger and bigger headline guarantees is sustainable. Who will run out of money first, the cardrooms or the players? Though I guess I'd have a different view if I was a winner at those stakes.

Rob sums it up perfectly in his blog, and I hope he sticks to his guns on this.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:50:18 PM »

I would love to see the end of re-entries, even if it means much smaller guarantees. I'm really not sure this trend for bigger and bigger headline guarantees is sustainable. Who will run out of money first, the cardrooms or the players? Though I guess I'd have a different view if I was a winner at those stakes.

+1

Even I would turn out for a genuine freezeout, and I'll bring Ralph with me.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:52:56 PM »

+1

I'd be tempted to come along, too.

Re-entries affect how folks play, too. If you have a pocket full of money, it's much easier to play fast and loose.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:16:06 AM »

+1

I'd be tempted to come along, too.

Re-entries affect how folks play, too. If you have a pocket full of money, it's much easier to play fast and loose.

This guy knew...

I understand the rationale behind allowing a re-entry into a tournament.  Getting eliminated on a cooler or bad beat in an early level sucks. Especially if you've travelled some distance to play. But shouldn't there be a limit?
How many times should you have to be felted before your tournament is done?
Twice? Three times? Four? More?
Yes it builds the pot but it also removes the purity of a freeze out tournament.

Let's imagine we've got it in pre with AA vs Phil Ivey who has the other two bullets but we make a flush. That's great because not only do we have more chips now but we've also eliminated one of the best players in the field. Should we have to face him again?

Multiple entries with the 'highest stack through' have this issue and a few more. Maybe it's time to just run it once...

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »

+1

DTD runs a £5,000 GTD Pure freezeout every Wednesday night

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »

+1

Good to hear. Does it do OK?

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »

"DTD is a shed on a retail park in Nottingham, there is no beach."

Gerald Ratner, eat your heart out.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

+1

Through September and October it shows as having a range from 81 to 95 entries.

Grosvenor would be dropping the guarantee to £3500 on those results...

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »

+1

Usually a bit short

The re-entry question is more nuanced than being implied. Yes in a vacuum you'd want everything to be one bullet, level playing field. Big tournaments particularly, more prestigious if they are i think

However even at a local level if someone is travelling a distance then they have a fear of Aces going under in level 1 and set under set etc and a wasted journey. Not because they don't win but because they haven't got a long enough playing experience (notably if they don't play cash)

Now magnify that with a super high roller on one side of the Atlantic being asked to play the other side in a $10k buy in event with all the expenses occurred and getting the same cooler.

So the challenge is to come up with (a weekly format at DTD and) a festival format for MILLIONS that doesn't make the recreational player feel disenfranchised nor make the super high roller not want to travel.

I suppose Rob feels that the balance has shifted too far in favour of the "big boys" but that the festivals will still need enough "action" for them so maybe apart from the main there will be re-entry comps etc

hence his blog to look for feedback as he and John Duthie put their plans in place

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »

My 2p x 3.

I think the DTD weekly format is pretty good. £50 freeze for those that want it, max 2 re-entries in the others IIRC. I only play the PLO comp and getting stacks in the middle in the first hour is fairly standard and given it's a two hour round trip I'd probably swerve it most weeks if it was a freeze. Allowing a max of 2 re-entries if required feels like the right balance between negating the power of deep pockets versus making the journey worthwhile and delivering a bigger prizepool.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »

I think the balance is somewhere between the two.  You want the option of a re-entry if you go out very early, but you don't want people to be able to rebuy very late or on day 2.  Seeing someone sit back down with 20 bbs and double up through you after you previously knocked them out is pretty galling when you sat there for 8 or 10 hours to build your stack.

Depending on structures, I think the first 4 levels is fine (say 4 hours in a 3 day comp or an hour or so for an evening comp) and 1 re-entry is fine.  Anything more and people just get pissed off with it.

I don't think it is massively detrimental to EV in a lot of cases (it isn't always Fedor Holz that rebuys), I just think the balance is wrong right now.  I also don't think clubs should listen too much to us people from the old school, the current players should hold more weight, but when I say current players, the rec players opinion should be key.

FWIW the original EPTs were 1k or 1.5k?  I think 5k seems about right, and 10k should be resisted.  From my hazy memory, for a few years, the 10k was Grand Final only?

Finally, I am not sure anybody wants to see DTD disappear striving for ever bigger guarantees.  If they cut re-entries, I think nearly as many people will show up for a million guaramtee as would for a 2 million one.  Hope it all works ut well.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: