blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Coral Canary Wharf
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coral Canary Wharf  (Read 6291 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »

After some pearls of wisdom.

I went in to a Coral shop in London to place a bet on a horse. Watched the race in the shop and the horse won comfortably for £380. There were 2 horses I liked in the next race so went up to the counter with 2 slips for £20 e/w and my winning ticket. There was a slight delay with him sorting out another bet and I wasn't sure if my bets would get on on time. He waved to me so I handed them all to the guy (only member of staff in there). He ran through the 2 bets, then when it went to cashing the winnings in he said it hadn't come in yet. As he said it the race set off so he is now sitting there with all 3 tickets.

He is visibly annoyed and says he needs cash. I say to him come on you saw that horse win the last race I just wanted to use £80 of the £380. He reiterates he needs cash. I reach in my pocket and only have £40, inform him that's all I have and pass it to him. He gives me 1 slip and the winning bet. I start saying I only want both bets or none of them, he is getting visibly more angry and starts shouting he can't and that I should have had the cash somso I just walk off.

The horse for the slip I had lost, as did the one I didn't.

Here's where i am unsure of it being slightly shady.

When I eventually go back 5 mins later to get the £380 for the winning one, he only gives me £340 and says the £40'is for the other one.

My argument was, if he was going to do that, why did when I say I want both or none, did he say I could only have 1 because that's what I gave him cash for. If the one he hadnt gave me had won, I would have been an annoyed but no way would I have expected to get paid. I tried to reason with him that it's unfair because he had never told me I was liable for that bet, how can it be up to him to deduct my winnings.

I 1000% understand where he's coming from in regards to needing to have the cash/available funds before hand. I'd just expect one bet to be voided?

The best thing to do is ring the firms customers service number and tell them you felt it was a bit iffy. Then explain what the guy did and that you feel uncomfortable that he has put you in a position where there is a way where you 'bet the winner' and don't get paid and that there is a situation here where the cashier could well have pocketed the £40.

Don't accuse him of doing so but intimate he just acted pretty weird here and of course you ended up out of pocket and it just felt suspicious.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Jono3131

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »

awful as if the horse wins you get paid somewhere between 0 and 10%. I would ask to see the slip to prove the bet was on, obv he'd have given you 380 and not mentioned it had it won but at least you can see was actually placed.

very tilting.

i had a spot at a bookies at Cheltenham, went to Ladbrokes had 2 bets one of which i had 250ew on a horse at 14/1. The horse placed so was due 1100 odd back, went into collect (with a ticket that said xxx horse 250ew 14/1 on it) the guy ushered me outside to speak to me... he told me the bet came back just as i was leaving the shop @10/1, he ran outside to find me but couldnt. He voided the whole bet and put £500 in tbe safe for me to give me next time i come in. Upshot is I am getting 500 not 1100.

He told me if i complained i could be banned from all Ladbrokes shops and that he could be fired and essentially pleaded with me to accept the 500 back and forget about it.

What do you do?

Seems more straightforward to me.  You have the slip, surely they have to pay?  They can't void a bet if you know nothing about the voiding?  Obviously the chance of getting banned from Ladbrokes is high after any winning bet, but can't see how asking to be paid correctly changes that.

Not sure why most think the fella is a thief in the original post.   The bloke explained why he couldn't take both bets to OP.  He let him have one, OP didn't accept it, started making unreasonable demands and stormed out of shop.  Bloke behind counter is left in a horrid position as race has started and punter has stormed off.  

Just assume he had good intentions and move on.   Saying it is 0% to 10% he had good intentions is a pretty shitty way to view the World.   Moving on saves a lot of continuing anger, and people getting worked up over something minor seems to be the reason it all went wrong.

I just can't think why I would do anything other than say "thanks, no problem" when offered the one bet after the race has started.  The bloke behind the counter has bent the rules after the race has started for me (to be fair, I am happy to get any bet on these days).

I'd hardly call it storming off, I left the counter to watch the race. I should of pointed out when I said I walk off, I mean I walk away from the counter. I never left the shop.

He never made any mention to me about owning the £40, until I cashed the bet in. Even when I did that, he didn't even say he was withholding the money he just paid it out to me less. He didn't verbally announce the amount j was being paid,it was only after i counted it.

What so because I didn't say thank you, I'm in the wrong? He offered me one get, while I was not happy with it, by handing him £40 for one bet, being given 1 betslip and then walking away with it with the assistant moving on to the next customer. Essentially I am accepting it. How I can I then be liable for a bet I can't collect if it wins? I go back and say 'hey remember that bet that I tried to bet, but didn't have the money for, so you didn't give me the slip. Can you pay me please?'
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 01:56:49 PM by Jono3131 » Logged
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »

Seems more straightforward to me.  You have the slip, surely they have to pay?  They can't void a bet if you know nothing about the voiding?  Obviously the chance of getting banned from Ladbrokes is high after any winning bet, but can't see how asking to be paid correctly changes that.

The bet had been voided, so there was no bet. The big question is, when the horse loses (which is will the vast majority) what is the % chance that a complete stranger to me, only knows me that I make reasonable sized bets on stuff quite a bit, gives me £500 back when he can pocket the money and I will be none the wiser. I'd throw my 14/1 slip away and feel very sad my horse didn't win.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 02:26:30 AM »

Seems more straightforward to me.  You have the slip, surely they have to pay?  They can't void a bet if you know nothing about the voiding?  Obviously the chance of getting banned from Ladbrokes is high after any winning bet, but can't see how asking to be paid correctly changes that.

The bet had been voided, so there was no bet. The big question is, when the horse loses (which is will the vast majority) what is the % chance that a complete stranger to me, only knows me that I make reasonable sized bets on stuff quite a bit, gives me £500 back when he can pocket the money and I will be none the wiser. I'd throw my 14/1 slip away and feel very sad my horse didn't win.

This. V dodgy, the come outside pleading bit. I would be suggesting I was part of a small syndicate putting bet on and the other guys will be asking questions or writing to .

Doobs just wanted to remind us again about being closed everywhere.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »

Surely this is a rhetorical question, but anyway, they are clearly either planning to steal from you or their employer and don't belong in their job. Also won't have been the first time this has ever happened. I wouldn't hesitate to report this.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »

Surely this is a rhetorical question, but anyway, they are clearly either planning to steal from you or their employer and don't belong in their job. Also won't have been the first time this has ever happened. I wouldn't hesitate to report this.

Seems a bad line to freeroll an EW wager with a fairly reasonable % chance of the punter returning with a winning slip.  Should only do it on long priced win only bets like some no hoper winning the Grand Prix at a 3 figure price.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »

awful as if the horse wins you get paid somewhere between 0 and 10%. I would ask to see the slip to prove the bet was on, obv he'd have given you 380 and not mentioned it had it won but at least you can see was actually placed.

very tilting.

i had a spot at a bookies at Cheltenham, went to Ladbrokes had 2 bets one of which i had 250ew on a horse at 14/1. The horse placed so was due 1100 odd back, went into collect (with a ticket that said xxx horse 250ew 14/1 on it) the guy ushered me outside to speak to me... he told me the bet came back just as i was leaving the shop @10/1, he ran outside to find me but couldnt. He voided the whole bet and put £500 in tbe safe for me to give me next time i come in. Upshot is I am getting 500 not 1100.

He told me if i complained i could be banned from all Ladbrokes shops and that he could be fired and essentially pleaded with me to accept the 500 back and forget about it.

What do you do?

Ask him why he chose to void it instead of putting it on at 10/1, if it lost you were never coming back for it, if it won you might be abit pissed off but you at least have the winning bet. Is it standard practice to void it?
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »

Gone are the days pre computer you could slide one winner on a lucky
From behind the counter or copy the bets of a well known fraudster as if he was in the shop 😂
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: