blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:48:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Leave it to the Ref?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leave it to the Ref?  (Read 2145 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

An odd situation arise in a televised snooker match last night between Ronnie O'Sullican & Luo Honghua.

Using the rest in a crowded spot on the table, he had to lift the rest & cue quickly to avoid the cue ball returning off the top cushion.

One of the commentators spotted that his cue had nudged a red, & the instant replay confirmed it, but the Ref missed it, the audience apparently missed it, & so, strangely, did Ronnie, though I am 100% sure he never realised he had committed a foul.

He was 2-3 down at the time, went on to compile a frame winning break, & eventually the match. It almost certainly altered the outcome of the game, if not the match.

After the game, Ronnie goes into the Studio & they show him the foul. He looked (to me) genuinely shocked & upset, & insta said "I'd happily play the match again".

He also strongly suggested that the commentator should have informed the Match Referee or scorers of the infraction. The Presenter retorted "no, the commentators are not permitted to interfere".

Should the commentator inform the ref, or leave it be? We see a lot of this in televised golf, when the camera, or an eagle-eyed viewer spots an infraction, & action is taken retrospectively.  

I'm not sure it's correct, these things happen & I'm inclined to say leave it to the ref.

Here's the incident, & his studio reaction;

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:12:04 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »

I think Ronnie has great integrity and is a very fair player. However. Listening to him saying "Why what's happened? What? what's happened? seemed to scream to me that he knew he'd done it.

That aside, I think retrospective action should be taken. Surely it's the fairest thing.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »

I think Ronnie has great integrity and is a very fair player. However. Listening to him saying "Why what's happened? What? what's happened? seemed to scream to me that he knew he'd done it.

That aside, I think retrospective action should be taken. Surely it's the fairest thing.

I trust him completely, & can't imagine he'd ever do such a thing - but yes, that innocent & repeated "what happened, tell me" did seem a little odd.

Generally, when it happens, as a snooker player, we know, & surely he would have known? Even so, I can't bring myself to think he would deliberately conceal it. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »

It was a shame wasn't it as you would like to think the ref and the player would spot that a lot of the time. The reason I think it got missed is when playing with the rest the cue on rest makes a lot of noise anyway doesn't it, especially when you are picking them both up off the table. Given the timing of it all it looked to me like he was juggling the cue and rest as he picked the cue off it and was looking at the ball he was potting going to the pocket.

So another mild noise when his cue touched the red could easily have been lost among that cue on rest and picking them off the table noise. If he had played the shot without the rest I feel it would have been more audible and the ref and Ronnie would have heard the cue touching the red ball and Ronnie would have felt it. It deffo changed the match tho didn't it?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »

TBH Tom I thought the same thing, the studio guys seemed to sense it sounded wrong too.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »

It was a shame wasn't it as you would like to think the ref and the player would spot that a lot of the time. The reason I think it got missed is when playing with the rest the cue on rest makes a lot of noise anyway doesn't it, especially when you are picking them both up off the table. Given the timing of it all it looked to me like he was juggling the cue and rest as he picked the cue off it and was looking at the ball he was potting going to the pocket.

So another mild noise when his cue touched the red could easily have been lost among that cue on rest and picking them off the table noise. If he had played the shot without the rest I feel it would have been more audible and the ref and Ronnie would have heard the cue touching the red ball and Ronnie would have felt it. It deffo changed the match tho didn't it?

That all makes sense to me. I had to watch the reply twice before I spotted it. Am pretty sure the Chinese kid never saw it either.

And yes, it almost certainly changed the course of the match. Ronnie was 2-3 down, compiled a match-winning break from the incident, & went on to win 3-5.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »

Generally you know when you've touched or knocked a ball. This was one that could have been flicked without realising, though, so it's certainly plausible. Has Ronnie ever cheated? Seems a bit late to start if not.

Gut says didn't know.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »

I definitely don't think he knew at the time. What I thing has happened is he has found out post match but pre interview and didn't know what to do for the best.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »

Is it time for VAR?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »

Is it time for VAR?

:-)Most def, can't expect refs to keep up with the pace of the modern game.

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »

Also, it's beyond credibility that Ronnie doesn't spot the foul in the replay until the presenter tells him what to look for.

I saw it immediately first time and I bet everyone else who watched it did too.

(On the replay that is, not live)

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »

100% commentator should draw the refs attention to it.

Same % that the ref should have seen it.

Hard to understand how Ronnie missed it, but I wouldn’t dream of suggesting that he did and kept quiet. This is a sport where the slightest of touches in feathering a cue stroke is self-policed.

I think it was rather lairy of the TV co to put him on the spot like that tbh.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: