blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Advice on Salary increase request.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on Salary increase request.  (Read 9861 times)
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 06:21:14 PM »

To combat the pay me now for future returns issue you could also suggest something that is paid out once you have delivered.

Either for you or the whole store.

Assuming you have a bonus in place now for hitting a target, you could try and get them to agree a second level target where your bonus percentage increases?

The problem with this, even though it seems a great idea, is that this is a multi-national business with Global & UK-wide policies, which would have been formulated & approved at Board level, & I am struggling to see that they would be amenable to breaking the wage structure. Once you do that for one Store, the dam soon bursts when there are 600 of them in the UK alone. 

Spot on Tikay, as much as it would be great to be able to challenge, debate and agree a a secondary bonus it will never happen. The first one takes a year to achieve and I don't have a say in what that is made up of, no different to any other large business with thousands of employees.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 07:53:06 PM »

To combat the pay me now for future returns issue you could also suggest something that is paid out once you have delivered.

Either for you or the whole store.

Assuming you have a bonus in place now for hitting a target, you could try and get them to agree a second level target where your bonus percentage increases?

The problem with this, even though it seems a great idea, is that this is a multi-national business with Global & UK-wide policies, which would have been formulated & approved at Board level, & I am struggling to see that they would be amenable to breaking the wage structure. Once you do that for one Store, the dam soon bursts when there are 600 of them in the UK alone. 

Spot on Tikay, as much as it would be great to be able to challenge, debate and agree a a secondary bonus it will never happen. The first one takes a year to achieve and I don't have a say in what that is made up of, no different to any other large business with thousands of employees.

The other issue is that you said the store was grossly mismanaged under the previous regime. Thus an upturn in performance will be a natural expectation of your appointment.

Effectively you will be saying "I know you're already over paying me but can I have another pay rise for doing my job to a professional standard"

The best thing is to simply smash this great opportunity to bits, you're taking over an outlet where you recognise the issues and can do something about it. Spike the revenue, cut the wastage, win the respect of your new team and gratify yourself with taking that business from the doldrums to a thriving enterprise all within a struggling industry. Then brag all about that impact in your next interview. A career is a long term deal and whilst you may not get the instant gratification of a pay rise now your efforts will still prove valuable currency in bagging future, better paid opportunities.

Oh and can we all stop mentioning Brad now. Chills me to the bone.   

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »

when i was running my restaurant, where people are generally quite poorly paid as an industry standard (but tips innit - which every one quickly forgets!) you get a lot of payrise requests.

i decided one day to leave everyones payslips open "accidentally" so everyone could see how much everyone got paid, pretty much everyone in the bottom half of pay came in asking why they got paid X and this guy got paid X+some.

one guy, 18yrs old came in and said "Ive seen Ben gets *some amount* more than me - what can i do to get paid the samr as him.

i thought that was a terrific attitude and i gave him a rise.

Omm attitude looks good, I dont know much about corporate life but it seems to me the price you pay for the structure and resources of a big corporate business is less flexibility for this type of thing.  I never had budgets, resources, departments for any project ever but always had flexibility over money. Gotta puck your side i guess.

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »

Had a director visit yesterday ( my boss’ boss), Mantis called it, visit went well, can see the improvements, looking forward to what we are going to achieve, spent some time with me talking about what I can see for myself in the future and what his plans are and were i sit in them. All very positive. Made me feel very special and not one mention of money  Grin

I will add that I also didn’t feel comfortable or think it was the right time to discuss what I had requested last week to my boss. She was with us the whole time and I have no idea if she has spoke to him about it (probably has), not sure if I missed an opportunity but it just didn’t feel like the right forum to discuss it.

I turned down a job roughly 20 months ago (I had a different boss and felt a strong loyalty to them and felt further along in my career). I’m seeing the firm again tmrw for an informal chat but the reality is that it is just over a 40% increase in basic salary as well as a car and the usual benefits, I now feel no loyalty to my boss but would work for my current director all day long. I suppose it proves that to get any significant increase moving companies is +EV, I am also abit fed up with getting promises from bosses only for them to move on and me having to start again with the new boss (4 area managers and 5 retail directors in 4 years). The only difference now is that I have known my “new” director for many years but he is not my direct line manager and may only see or speak to him a few times a year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:24:24 AM by Omm » Logged
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »

Great news Omm and good luck with the other opportunity.

I think you did the right thing not mentioning the money.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »

Good luck in the new job

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: