blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  deposit play through requirement on gambling sites?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: deposit play through requirement on gambling sites?  (Read 2775 times)
bergeroo

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »

Hi can someone tell me the law or the official rules on this one please.

I originally made a deposit with a Scandinavian bookmaker a while back to play a couple of specific tournaments that were only running on their skin. Unfortunately they had some kind of block in place which required my account to be verified with a bunch of documents before I could gamble over 20 euros. As I couldn't do this at the weekend then I missed the tournaments. Since then I have been trying to withdraw the money, but I have been told I have to play it through. How can this be correct and keeping in line with the new more stringent KYC conditions?

The funny thing is that they also emailed me asking me for proof of income or a salary to prove I was playing within my limits and afford I can play.

"Player wellbeing and security is paramount to us and as a licensed and responsible operator, we have a dedicated framework in place in order to protect our customers and to fulfill our regulatory requirements.

Therefore, and as per our “Know Our Customers” policy we would like that you confirm that you are comfortable with your gaming activity and also provide us with a document which verifies that you are playing within your abilities
."

I don't have any such documents and I also don't want to play on their site but they are forcing me and my withdrawals are blocked. It is a weird situation.

Do I have a right to just get my money? Or am I obligated to gamble with it first. I know I can just exclude myself or close my account but I don't want to do that.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »

This happened to me when I signed up with some site, think it was 32Red.

When I signed up, there were all sorts of tick boxes, one of them was for a "First Deposit Bonus". I never played on the site, (or received any bonus) so some time later I tried to withdraw, they refused on the grounds I had ticked a box so was obliged to "play through".

That was 5 or 6 years ago. They still have my £100.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »

re playing within your abilities.  You should just reply, there must be some mistake, I am the famous bergeroo and link them to your hendon mob. 

It costs them money to take deposits, so I don't object to them insisting on a play through (unless it's a sports betting site which doesn't accept the bet).

So I guess you just have a go at what is available if they unfreeze your account.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:54:27 AM »

I had the same situation with Stars 18 months ago. Lots of emails going back and forward until they stated "​to adhere to our licence regulations, players are unable to withdraw or transfer funds from deposits, without first wagering these at least once (x1)."

I replied that I thought it was unfair with regard to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and could I have a reference number so I could submit it to their third-party dispute resolution provider.

I was then allowed to withdraw my money.

A Swedish bookmaker has this in their T&Cs:

6.14 When an Account Holder wishes to withdraw funds they have deposited into their Unibet Account but have not wagered in any game or sport betting offer, Unibet reserves the right to refuse to transfer the funds to another bank account than the one the funds originated if Unibet suspects fraud and/or money laundering.

I can't see any other relevant clauses. If it is Unibet, their terms are governed by the English courts - I'd be tempted to try the same approach that worked for me with Stars.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »

Can you just not tell them that you made a mistake and can not afford play at all anymore?

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »

Can you just not tell them that you made a mistake and can not afford play at all anymore?

With the current emphasis on RG, that really ought to do the trick.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »

With the current emphasis on RG, that really ought to do the trick.

He doesn't want to, he says so in the original post. 

As an aside I put £500 on the tote site to do the scoop 6 and then the website kept booting me, so I gave up.  I haven't tried withdrawing it yet, but there could be fun times ahead.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 03:15:22 AM »

Wasn't Unibet. I have had good experiences with them so far.

They are letting me withdraw the money without playthrough and without documents as a 'one time goodwill gesture' after I vociferously complained in a variety of ways and to a variety of people. Let's see if the withdrawal goes through. I didn't want to close my account or say I have a gambling problem to make them give me the money, as who knows, options are so thin these days that I might want to redeposit and play with these jokers again in the future even though they held my money hostage for a year...

Still don't know if there is a rule or if it varies from site to site...
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 05:13:07 AM »

The play through thing is partly due to the fact processing deposits is quite expensive and people depositing and snap withdrawing is just an expense (although it's a pretty rare thing to happen) it's mostly born from a legal requirement as part of AML procedure, the rule doesn't specifically require a playthrough but it does require a certain level of DD to prevent money laundering and this has long been a method that both works for the sites and is accepted by the regulators, alongside the provision that the value of the initial deposit is always returned to the source of the deposit.

On my site in our jurisdiction we actually didn't have the rule because AML regulations weren't as strict and there was just no need to for it. I never saw a case of a player depositing and then withdrawing without betting, but like doubleup said it's quite frustrating if you deposit £1000 and most they'll let you bet is £5. I had situation with Ladbrokes where I deposited £2k once and was instantly limited to buttons, and had a back and forth with them for weeks of "you must play it through" "well I would love too but I'm restricted" "let me pass you over to someone" "you need to play it through, why would you deposit and not bet?" "I cant bet, you've restricted me" "hmmmmmmmm" eventually they just paid me back, very nearly got me for some £1k red/ £1k black roulette action.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: