blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:34:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The heat is on
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The heat is on  (Read 1063 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »

The UK is now 30 times more likely to be hit by a heatwave than it was before the industrial revolution, the Met Office has warned after temperatures in the UK hit record-breaking levels.

A gloomster would say there's a very good chance death rates will spike, crops will die, and we can say with great scientific certainty that this is the new normal and we are leaving the climate in which human civilisation was born and prospered.

The BBC Weather social account's take on yesterday was "Morning, if we're going to do it TODAY'S THE DAY!  We will of course keep you posted. Lou L" with the attached image

At what point do we think coverage of the rising temperature switches from "yay" to "oh fuck"

Caitlin Moran said on twitter and I quote "The day escalatingly hot weather in Britain stops being reported as a jolly treat, and starts being reported as what it is - A REASON TO BE FUCKING TERRIFIED - will be an interesting one. I wonder who will make that decision, when, and why."

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 05:29:10 PM »

I was meditating the other day on why young people in the west are so terrified of a bit of sun and my conclusion was that we need to believe there is an existential threat as an essential part of being alive.

Local wars gone, world war unlikely, cold war over, global nuclear threat receded - couple that with the standard of living being so spectacularly high and we need to find something to wring our hands about.

Obvs most people don't change their consumption habits to anything like the degree they should if they were as concerned as they claim to be.

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »

Didn't we have a global ice age once upon a time, or was it just that?

We are fucked and I am just glad I never wanted or had kids.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: