blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Getting into Golf
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting into Golf  (Read 15918 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »

Just stumbled around this thread, fantastic stuff.

I'm just down the coast, you have a couple of good courses near you, you've mentioned Goodwood already and then you have Littlehampton and Worthing as well.

Sadly Sussex is pretty shit for golf and all the courses are in shit nick this year but right now that's not too important.

Keep on doing what you're doing, competing against yourself is great fun eh?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »

Just stumbled around this thread, fantastic stuff.

I'm just down the coast, you have a couple of good courses near you, you've mentioned Goodwood already and then you have Littlehampton and Worthing as well.

Sadly Sussex is pretty shit for golf and all the courses are in shit nick this year but right now that's not too important.

Keep on doing what you're doing, competing against yourself is great fun eh?

Thanks Flushy, having so much fun. Despite this poor showing:-

Click to see full-size image.
106" border="0

So I ended up playing a full round on the Cathedral course at Chichester. This is a much tougher course than The Tower and I only played it as couldn't get a tee time on the Tower. It's just a really hard course with water on 13 holes, lots of bunkers and awkward lies. I absolutely loved playing the course, its a lot more visually interesting than the other course but is a bit beyond my skill level at the moment. I lost a fair few balls, did hit a mish mash of really nice shots but just can't hit consistently straight yet so just was getting punished left and right.

Went back to the range this week and had a really good session working on long game. Just practiced pinging 4 irons 200 yards as need to be able to go to that shot off the tee to break 90 round The Tower. Playing a round tomorrow so will see how that goes.

I would like to play at least another 3 different courses before the end of the year - hoping to get up to Goodwood next when it is back open to non-members as they have a course their that I believe is reasonably forgiving.

I have a little boy (my first) due in November so enjoying the freedom of walking around a golf course at 8pm on a Summers evening without a care in the world! Going to try and play a full round once a week for the forseeable and mix in at least one other range session and a session on the par 3 course. See if we can break 90 before the end of the Summer.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »

93" border="0

Really good round today. Struck the ball really well, especially off the tee.

So frustrated to play the last 3 holes +7. Definitely left a 90 breaker out there and can feel it coming. Was an almost flawless front 9 other than a poor 9th that ended in missing a 3ft putt.

Didn't lose my ball once too. Go again next Sunday. In the mean time got some stuff to work on for sure - still need to try and find that consistent flat swing with my low irons off the tee. As I got my tired, my swing got worse and starting leaking off with slices again. Need to work on my pitching wedge, 9 iron stuff too as didn't hit those very well. Body is definitely adjusting to 3 hours walking but I did feel tired on the last few holes and it showed in the scores.

Stuck my first 4 rounds into a handicap calculator and it told me I am off 20. Might be time to buy something longer than a 4 iron. :-)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »

Ha I had a proper blowup on Friday, was +3 on the 17th fairway with 130 yards in, made triple. Onto the 18th, 118 in, shank and a 3 putt for a double.

My career low is +4

Such a funny game, 80 is a good score for me but will deffo sting for a while.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »

I am so happy.

89" border="0

I had a couple of good range sessions earlier this week and then to see it come together and break 90 is so satisfying.

I was so hot on the front 9. Great ball striking, felt super confident and my chipping and putting was so good. Had to really grit my teeth on the back 9, was feeling really tired as probably didn't eat enough before the round. So satisfied to play the last 3 holes in +3 given we were in a similar situation in a previous round and ended those in +7.

I bought a hybrid earlier in the week and used that a bit. Some good early signs and the extra distance definitely helped on a few holes off the tee. Flushed one around 230 yards ish, gives me a good +30 over my 4 iron.

Have another 1 hour lesson on Sunday. I am still coming over the top a lot and the swing is very inconsistent and seems to get more so the longer the round goes on. I am also not good enough from 100-150 yards and struggle with ball striking with my pitching wedge through 8 iron. Lots to work on but just buzzing. Made a ridiculous up and down on the 17th over a bunker then holed a 15 footer for the par.

The really encouraging thing is that I can see how shooting sub 85 is possible for me somewhere down the line. No pressure for the rest of the Summer now, just going to enjoy playing and experience some different courses.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2020, 02:17:46 PM »

Very well done Mark.

Best get yourself a couple of fairway woods now.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: