blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:00:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Guess the answer: Leicestershire version
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guess the answer: Leicestershire version  (Read 7433 times)
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »

Can I have the details of this basketball game. Who were the other 9 players on the court?

I was too slow to enter this one, but I wouldn't have troubled the top of the table!
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2020, 07:27:00 PM »

Cheers Tighty. I though t the horse racing question might have been a trick question 🙄

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2020, 08:12:34 PM »

Shocker again!

95pts in a game Arb? Wtf?!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »

Shocker again!

95pts in a game Arb? Wtf?!

18 3 pointers.  Steph Curry before his time i was back then at county league level!   I will dig out the score card to prove it if i can find it!  I got subbed out with 3 minutes left having no idea i was anywhere close to a ton!  To say i was fucked off afterwards with the coach was an understatment.
Rubbish2407

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »

95 points, jeez, are you 7 foot 4 or something?

"The Full Eso Kral": To back every possible outcome in an event and lose whatever happens.
Keith Hawkins 10/01/2014
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »

Darn, forgot this one and would have done pretty well

Arb, 95 points, thats incred. I couldn't hit 18 3 pointers against a team full of 3 year olds if I played for an hour

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2020, 11:47:14 PM »

Top bombing Arbboy.  Kept that well hidden, and presumably hard to google.  Just thinking back to some of our school matches and very much doubt we ever hit 95 between us (probably including both teams).

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »

Before i entered the gambling industry and had to quit playing at 26.   I played in the national league for 8 seasons before i had to quit playing because of joining 365.  Couldn't play and work weekends.  Previously was 9-5 mon to friday clean living out of uni.   Impossible to google but i will try and find the score card.  I'd already played a national league game in the afternoon for Northampton and drove straight to Market Harborough after that game to take a big drop down in class to play for the team that got me started when i was a kid at 13.  Fun times can still remember it like it was yesterday.  Think the stats guy said i was 18-33 on three point attempts that night.  Was pretty crazy.  I fouled out 5 of the opposition as well and took loads of free throws as well.  just a perfect storm really shame i never made a ton.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:03:49 AM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2020, 12:37:55 AM »

http://www.northampton-neptunes.co.uk/home.htm

This was the last national league side i played for.  I part owned them as well in my last season with two of the other players as the previous owner quit and the club would have folded otherwise.  No idea if it is still running now
Rubbish2407

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »

I've seen European Basketball league matches where the combined score was less than 95 points (actually just skimmed this seasons results and the lowest I could see was 60-55 but very few teams shoot 95 in the entire game).

"The Full Eso Kral": To back every possible outcome in an event and lose whatever happens.
Keith Hawkins 10/01/2014
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »

Final score of this game was 123-122.  I found the scorecard and press cutting for the game in the local rag inside the score card.   Was 16 3's not 18!

The 1990's was the pinnacle of UK basketball albeit on a world scale it was still a terrible standard.  The British league (the BBL) was live on sky sports every week presented by Suzanne Dando if anyone remembers her?  Was married amazingly to the infamous Andy Gray of Sky sports football in that era.  The relative TV money meant much better quality imports were attracted to the league for 5-10 year period riding off the dream team/Jordan's global explosion selling trainers etc.  The british style of play in that era was very Kevin Keegan (we will outscore you rather than worry about defending like the major Euro leagues were).

The coaches in that era looking back were different class we just didn't realise at the time how many talented young coaches we had in the English game.  They played a high octane shooting 3's style of plaay which was 20 years ahead of the curve in terms of the modern game.  The current NBA champions head coach Nick Nurse plied his trade through the 1990's in England.  Coaching Birmingham, Manchester and London Towers who he took into the Euro League (champions league equiv for basketball football wise) which was unheard of any English team even being able to compete at that level financially.  Other coaches in England from that era included Chris Finch for Sheffield who went on to coach in the NBA as well.   Leicester also had a couple of crazy American coaches who went onto much bigger things in the Chinese league whiich is huge money wise.

One of the rolls royce players of the English league in the 1990's is the father of a current footballer who captains a team in the EPL.   Any guesses who the captain is?  His brother plays in the English basketball league now as well.

The boom ended and sent a lot of the teams busto in the early 2000's and the league has never recovered.  Sky tv money ended and ITV digital (remember them?) took on the tv deaal but went bust and left clubs with multi year player contracts that they couldn't afford to pay.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:14:33 PM by arbboy » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »

I never watched on Sky but wasn't UK basketball on channel 4 before Sky?  Pretty sure I watched it there, but might be getting it wrong.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »

I never watched on Sky but wasn't UK basketball on channel 4 before Sky?  Pretty sure I watched it there, but might be getting it wrong.

Yes think that was in the 1980's when Kingston (now Guildford) were dominating the game.  The main player in that era was a little yank guy called Alton Byrd.   Remember him?  Alan Cunningham and Colin Irish also played for them and i played against them a couple of times when they were playiing down the leagues in their 40s and they were still different class.

Manchester United had a big team in that era who were linked to the football club amazingly.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:26:27 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »

http://www.bbl.org.uk/leicester-riders-retain-rema-lascelles-for-2018-19/

Answer to the quiz question if anyone wanted to know.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2020, 12:55:07 PM »

I never watched on Sky but wasn't UK basketball on channel 4 before Sky?  Pretty sure I watched it there, but might be getting it wrong.

Yes think that was in the 1980's when Kingston (now Guildford) were dominating the game.  The main player in that era was a little yank guy called Alton Byrd.   Remember him?  Alan Cunningham and Colin Irish also played for them and i played against them a couple of times when they were playiing down the leagues in their 40s and they were still different class.

Manchester United had a big team in that era who were linked to the football club amazingly.

Yeah I remember Alton Byrd, but don't remember much else.   When things moved to Sky I tended to lose interest.  Just found some videos on youtube from the time.  Of course Kabbadi was the nut sporting program at the time.  Used to love the Tour De France with Robert Millar (as was) and the Kraftwerk theme too.   

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: