blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  My old Friend - Colburn "Rastafish/Buff" Tomlin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My old Friend - Colburn "Rastafish/Buff" Tomlin  (Read 6186 times)
BangBang

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2021, 10:35:34 PM »

After hearing of the passing of my dear friend Colburn Rastafish/Buff Tomlin I thought I would come on here and commemorate him.  Diarising has always helped me cope with things, so thought I would share the story of when I first met Rasta with Blonde

It was 2007, I was living in Islington at the time, I was going through some matrimonial issues so I’d spend most evenings in the Empire. One night while playing at the Empire and Rasta came in and was introduced to me as Buff by a mutual friend, I’m not sure how it happened but he ended sitting behind watching me do my nuts while keeping the whole table entertained with loud & flamboyant stories.  Over the course of the next few nights Rasta would come in and either win the lot in a loud and bodacious way or lose the lot in loud and dramatic but also entertaining way  

On one of the nights as I was leaving and he asked if I needed a lift to Islington, so I jumped in his car and we set off. While driving to Islington he received a call and had quiet heated exchange. He told me he needed to go see someone real quick and would drop me off after. I agreed it was around 3am and I didn’t really want to jump on the night bus or look for cab stand.  

We first drove to a questionable area of Rotherhithes ,he went into a house and for what seemed like an eternity and came out with two porcelain plates of west Indian food (rice and stew fish with vegetables) covered with clingfilm. He passed one to me and put one in his back footwell and started driving. As we were driving he took out a gold chain from his pocket and asked me how much I would give him for it. I Told him I didn’t know anything about gold so wouldn’t be buying it, he then proceeded to take out a set of diamond earrings and asked me the same question.  I didn’t even reply this time I just started laughing, as did he; so much so that he stopped the car in a bus lane and laughed hysterically while saying “you crack me up Steve hahahha you crack me up”

It was now around 5am and I noticed that we were driving west, I asked him why to which he replied “I just need to see my bredrin up west”  and he would drop me off after, I was beyond caring at this point and knew I was going to be pulling a sickie. I was all in on the adventure now.

We parked up outside a fairly large house in Hammersmith and he gestured me to come with him. He banged on this door and shouted through the letterbox “Open the door! It’s me man! Buff” a tired and fed-up looking Jewish man opened the door sighed and led us into a regal looking living room, I sat and waited while Rasta followed the man into the office attached. I could hear Rastas loud voice from were I was sat “just give me 5Gs man and we’ll square it next time”, a courtesan looking lady walked into the living room and offered me a tea to which I politely declined. Around 10 minutes later the both Rasta and the man came out of the office looking happy, we proceeded to leave and as we did the man said “Don’t keep coming this late Colburn, it’s to late” to which Rasta replied “What you talking about it’s early man, early bird gets the worm and you Jewish people always get the bloodclaart worm” they both smiled and laughed and waved at each other like old friends.

We jumped back into Rastas car and I asked him to drop me off at the closest tube station, he said “don’t worry man I’ll drop ya! Go sleep and I’ll drive us to yours now” we got to mine and it was now 10ish from what I remember he parked up in a permit holders only space and came in to use the bathroom. As we walked in he handed me a wad of cash, I asked him what it was for and he said “just looking after you Steve, buy your missus something nice” he used the bathroom and left. I counted the cash and it was £800 I thought what a nice gesture

I’m not quiet sure how much that £800 gesture cost me over the next 15 years but it was always worth it…

I have so many fond memories of Rasta, he was a great character and a good friend.

I’m sure if there is an afterlife he’s up there 4 borrows deep into a cash game waiting for the tournament to start all while telling his stories in a loud and flamboyant way…!!

RIP My old friend….!!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:37:56 PM by BangBang » Logged

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:16:41 AM »

RIP Rastafish.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »

RIP Rastafish. Always knew when you were in the building.😁

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »

Great story and RIP to a real character.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 02:24:26 PM »

Late night adventures in London, great tale Smiley

RIP

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 02:45:57 PM »

I always enjoyed his company - he can't have been that old.

RIP Rastafish

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 02:29:49 PM »

RIP Rastafish

Just over 60....

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »

RIP Rastafish

Just over 60....

65 I think

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »

Was it COVID ?
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 06:58:04 PM »

R.I.P Rastafish

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 07:57:30 PM »

RIP Rastafish

Just over 60....

65 I think

he looked good for 65.   Proper all time top 10 character for a few years of live uk poker.   He had a heater of heaters for a few months.   Will never forget the blackjack session i had with him one night at DTD.   Proper legend.  He genuinely lit the place up every time he was there win lose or draw.
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 07:50:36 PM »

Gutted to hear this. He always greeted me with a huge smile and an even firmer handshake....

His ability to know when you had it, and when you didn't, was legendary.

RIP Colburn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: