blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 04:03:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273298 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The Importance of Position - Or Not.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Importance of Position - Or Not.  (Read 3796 times)
Jimmy B

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 07:36:32 PM »

In all honesty though, I think you could write a book on positional play - every decision you make is affected by position in some way or other.
Some of it is pretty basic, eg. ten-handed, ATs UTG cf ATs on the button in an unopened pot. Using your position on the flop, turn and river can be more subtle and I certainly don't always get it right but put it this way, if I have top pair Q kicker on the turn I want to be last to act!
Agree with Bongo and patman too.

I used to play ten-handed limit cash a lot, less now, but loaded my hands into pokertracker a few months back. Almost fell out of my chair when I saw the amount won on the button - accounts for almost half of my total profit!
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 10:32:24 PM »

Check here http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tournaments/event.php?id=1270&screen=logs&type=1

Read "Who's the man" thread.

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is.
elblondie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 07:36:34 PM »

I think everything has already been said in this thread...but I would suspect even those who don't rate position highly probably use the information provided by better position without even knowing it. It's common sense really. The later you are, the more information you have, the easier it is to make the correct decision.

No Limit Hold'em or Pot Limit Hold'em  does of course throw up the occasional perverse swerve ball when you want to be first to act after the flop..so that you can be first to move all your chips in... but that's a different story

i'll walk a million miles for one of your goals
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 07:46:10 PM »

Postition is one of the most important factors in poker comps.

Think about all those times blinds are nicked and the part position plays to the thief.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 08:06:21 PM »

Everything is relative, the Importance of Position is secondary if your name happens to be Ernest

The older I get, the better I was.
Curly69
Probation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 08:31:37 PM »

My first post!

Don't tell me position isn't the key to the game! No wonder I've been doing so badly all this time!

In all seriousness, I'd say it's probably not as important now as it used to be as people seem less afraid of being aggressive from any position on the table, particularly the scandinavians!  The general approach these days seems to be that a huge raise from any position will take the pot the majority of the time.
That said, it's still an important factor which a lot of online players seem to ignore - far too many limpers from early position who then fold to a raise and waste their chips.

Positional play I'm ok with, but boy do I need some aggression!  Who's gonna give me some tips?

www.wloponline.com - an online league for lower level MTT players
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 08:51:01 PM »

...but if you're on the button and there's been a huge raise you can pass but if you're in early position and there's a raise after you've already entered the pot you loose chips. It's pretty basic isn't it.
As I said before, people are talking about position mostly in respect of nicking blinds from the button and that's missing 90% of the point about positional advantage. That's just "paying the rent". position is about having informational advantage in the big hands and also the moderate strength stuff your investment hands like K,Q, low pairs, suited connector or suited Aces. you get a good idea of the odds to make a proper decision on whether or not to play these hands.
I'm not a big maths player but I like to know if I'm going to take a flop with a low pair to hit a set or chuck it I want to know I'm getting a good price to do it.
If I'm going to set a trap with AA I want to know if I'm facing 1 or 2 players rather than face a family pot.

We all know this stuff don't we? it's pretty ABC stuff. maybe that's the point. playing out of position is a tougher skill so maybe the guys at the top draw an advantage from doing that well.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 01:58:48 AM »

I can now reveal that the 2 guys whose conversaton sparked this thread were Mr Dave El Blondie Colclough, & the self confessed World Pot Limit Champion, Mr Brian Wilson, aka WSOP in05, & WSOPin06.

El Blondie contributed to the thread, but Brian did not. Maybe Brian does not understand position.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: