blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Re: Finding A Level In Cash Games
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re: Finding A Level In Cash Games  (Read 1365 times)
The Baron

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2005, 03:13:43 PM »

Just go nice and slow. Move up to the next level for a period of time and reassess after this trial period. If you keep winning then keep going. You are obviously doing something right. Smiley
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 11:04:10 PM »

Whatever you do, never play at a level where you feel uncomfortable with the swings. If you are okay with putting, say, $200 on the table but feel devestated when it's gone within seconds, then don't sit down. I find that you need to feel comfortable with at least a 400 swing on such a table - which can easily happen through 2 bad beats.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 10:56:38 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged
vampitup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:51:16 AM »

Thanks guys, thats good advice.
murphyz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »

Whatever you do, never play at a level where you feel uncomfortable with the swings. If you are okay with putting, say, $200 on the table but feel devestated when it's gone within seconds, then don't sit down. I find that you need to feel comfortable with at least a 400 swing on such a table - which can easily happen through 2 bad beats.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm interested in thoughts of a level to start playing at.  I generally play SNGs at either $25 or $50 buyin, and am comfortable with doing so.  I would like to improve my overall game and hopefully make more of a profit than I currently do, by going into the cash games. I've dabbled in them a few times and not had great success, but at the same time haven't applied myself in the same way as I have for the SNG style of game. 

I think I want to play limit (lost $200 in one hand last time I played NL cash and don't wish to repeat that), and wondered what level I should go in at.  Does the bankroll rule apply where I should only sit at a table with $100 in front of me if I have a $1000 bankroll?

If I wanted to put, say, $300 from my bankroll solely into improving my limit cash game...what level would you suggest I try playing?

Cheers

Mxx
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »

0.50/1 if you go by the 300 BB rule
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 04:54:16 PM »

If you want to start from the bottom up and learn limit in terms of knowledge/experience, then you should probably start from the bottom in terms of actual limits. This will nurture your growth through the levels, and give you a more solid base from which to interpret whether or not you are a winning player from one level to the next.

I was primarily a sng player for a long time, and decided to move into cash games, and started at 25/50 cent NL, even though I was more then adequately rolled for levels much higher, because I wanted to learn how to play NL, rather then worry about profit levels as a short term factor. I think this is the best route if you want to learn. Its like constructing a building, first you apply the foundations, then you move onto the first floor, then you gradually keep building until the construction is complete, and then if you have planned it correctly, the ensuing construction should generate you a very nice income.

If you still want to try and make (reasonable) money (which you certainly wont from the lower limits) whilst learning the ropes, then you should find a level that you feel comfy with. A lot of it depends how replenishable your roll is. If it is easily replenished, you can probably play a bit higher then if you are in the situation where if you lose your roll, thats it, you're busto. You yourself will know what this limit is

textbook literature advocates a roll of 300 Big Bets for each level, so I guess with $300 set aside, you should start at 0.50/$1, which is where I would recommend anyways even if you had a roll of $10k

Another way to do it is to fragment your hours so you play a certain % of limit games, and then a certain % of your stock game (ie the sng) so you are still learning from the bottom up in limit, and still making some money from ur sng's, so you are getting the best of both worlds..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 04:57:27 PM by totalise » Logged
murphyz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 05:56:40 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.

I've sat down at a limit $.50/$1 table for the last little while and attempted to play high connectors and pocket pairs, or the BB (with one or two other hands that looked purdy if I'm being honest), and not done very well at all.  All pocket pairs have missed, and my decent looking AA had 5 others in the pot, and were then cracked by someone holding 75 making a flush on the river.  The problem I seem to have being that the limit bet is not enough to stop people chasing, it seems (as always, my AK meeting a flop of KKA generated no action - pft).

Shall spend some time on the NL too and see how they compare.  I think my $22 lesson this afternoon seems to be not to play as many hands as I normally would, and get out unless I hit the flop hard.  An inability to offer the wrong odds for calling will take a bit to get used to in the limit games.  Shall scour the forums for cash games to get a few pointers.

One thing, is it normal for 6 or 7 people in a ten person table to be in every hand...or am I sat at an abnormally loose table?

Cheers

Mxx
JP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 02:39:32 PM »

Why don't you try short handed (6 seater) limit. A few reasons:

a) Less people to the flop so your hand is easier to protect.
b) Aggression is rewarded more and good post flop play is rewarded.
c) Calling stations can be isolated and you can just keep betting at them and they will pay you off.
d) It's WAY more fun!

Although the swings are higher  but $300 should be still plenty as these games shoud be fairly easy.

Matthew Hilger's Internet Texas Hold'em is a good book.
David Sklansky and his advanced book also.
Jennifer Harman's section in Super System 2 is pretty good also

I would start with Matthew Hilger' book although it is quite rigid and you will have to add a few"gears" as you move up the limits but it will be the most useful book as you start out.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 05:33:43 PM »

I think you don't need to have 300 big bets to give limit a shot.

You need 300 big bets if you need to not go bust and that is your whole bankroll, you depend on it for a living etc etc.

This ain't going to be true at 50c/$1.

I'd play the 50c/$1 for a little bit to get used to the mechanics of the game.

I'd recommend you give the $2/$4 or $3/$6 games a try after you've grown accustomed to limit. The games are piss easy, the swings less than lower limits and they'll more closely resemble games you're find at higher limits. 3 or 4 players are seeing the flop rather than 7 or 8.

You might go bust playing $2/$4 on $300 sure, but you'll learn much more than you would simply nut-peddling in a 50c/$1 game.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: