blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  This Snooker Final is worse than watching paint dry
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Snooker Final is worse than watching paint dry  (Read 20278 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2006, 10:13:52 PM »

Bobby - I was only knit picking.

My opinion (for what its worth) on the Dott thing is that he is not in the same league as your Rockets, Hendrys, Higgins etc but that makes his achievement even greater.

For someone of his limited ability (unfair but true) to have won the biggest tournament there is means that he must have given maximum effort, commitment, shown good temperament etc. These qualities are vital in all sports.

I am amazed that he managed to win it but I do think the reaction to his participation in the final (and subsequent victory) has been appalling.

I believe you mean nit-picking GF, a speciality of mine  Cheesy

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2006, 10:20:18 PM »

Bobby - I was only knit picking.

My opinion (for what its worth) on the Dott thing is that he is not in the same league as your Rockets, Hendrys, Higgins etc but that makes his achievement even greater.

For someone of his limited ability (unfair but true) to have won the biggest tournament there is means that he must have given maximum effort, commitment, shown good temperament etc. These qualities are vital in all sports.

I am amazed that he managed to win it but I do think the reaction to his participation in the final (and subsequent victory) has been appalling.

very well put.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2006, 10:20:35 PM »

But how does he compare to Joe Davis?

He isnt in the same class but that doesnt make him a bad player or the worst champion ever either just because some players have in the past shown better form than him.

I've never said he doesn't deserve to win or that he is a bad player - he's just the worst champion I can remember. I never remember seeing someone win the final after making a highest break of 65 over EIGHTEEN frames! Therefore I don't think it's unfair to say he's not as good as some others because, quite simply, he isn't.

Of course he is entitled to win the comp and big up to him for doing it against the odds. He is World Champion. I doubt he'll ever be World Number 1 though, or top 4 for that matter.
Triple X

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »

like i said at the beginning - its horses for courses.

Personally he might have been the best over the week (tho that was hard to believe by some of his play in the final) but the fact is both these players are boring and snooker will have a big problem if the game just gets filled up with robots with no personality and flair at the table.

Having said that, because of the need for patirnce and a strong mentality - this boring mode in snooker actually does very well - the flair players like Alex Higgins, White and O'Sullivan struggle because they dont have the right temperment.

In fact it is testament to O'Sullivan's ability that he has won so many tourneys - considering his poor temperment and his tilt factor when he gets frustrated by players slowing the game down.  He is without doubt the best out there by a mile in snooker ability but unfortunately it is more than just that you need to win a big tournamnet like the World Championships
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2006, 10:32:32 PM »

I thought that these tournaments were all about winning.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »

like i said at the beginning - its horses for courses.

Personally he might have been the best over the week (tho that was hard to believe by some of his play in the final) but the fact is both these players are boring and snooker will have a big problem if the game just gets filled up with robots with no personality and flair at the table.

Having said that, because of the need for patirnce and a strong mentality - this boring mode in snooker actually does very well - the flair players like Alex Higgins, White and O'Sullivan struggle because they dont have the right temperment.

In fact it is testament to O'Sullivan's ability that he has won so many tourneys - considering his poor temperment and his tilt factor when he gets frustrated by players slowing the game down.  He is without doubt the best out there by a mile in snooker ability but unfortunately it is more than just that you need to win a big tournamnet like the World Championships

He is the best natural potter for sure, he is not the best at safety, winning scrappy frames, digging in when in trouble nor does he have the strongest mentality yet in your eyes this makes him the best yet players that have all those attributes but are not the best potters are 'boring'.

As we said before different people look for different things.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2006, 12:52:01 AM »

It's not like a poker tournament.

Dott needed more than luck to see him through. I have enoromous repect for his nitty gritty style and sheer dog mindedness.

As to the kiss, to say it was a disgrace is going a bit too far. This was the longest final in history, it meant the world to him and he bloody deserved it. Who can blame him for show-boating a little.

Sure, for the TV viewers it would have been nice if he showed a little personality prior to that, but he was there to win a snooker match, not win the hearts and minds of groupies.

That is what he did, and that is why he's the champ. You can't argue with results. Dott is not a disgrace, he is the World Snooker Champion.

Let the others tell of their bad beats, this guy was the winner. (I'm a little pisched, but just feel you shouldnae trash the guy as he deserves better)

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2006, 01:09:36 AM »

In the final frame of the 1985 final Dennis Taylor kissed the trophy and said a little prayer mid frame and it is remembered as a great part of that final but nobody said that was disrespectful, they said it was high drama.

ucanbluffme
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2006, 01:42:55 AM »

Mmm had a quick scan through this thread. Bit of a snooker buff on the quiet. Used to play with higgins in wishaw and we used to play against dott in the league. I think the snooker was scrappy but fully committed. If you have ever played any sort of controlled sport in a live enviroment in front of 2000 spectators and with the tv cameras and lights on you. You would then realise how incredibly difficult it is to hold yourself together. Dott showed his B*lls when he produced the 60 odd clearence to pinch the frame after he had lost 6 on the bounce. The man deserved to win the tournament based on his combination of skill and determination as well as his huge gonads. Just my 2p worth.

Just trying to figure out what the other guy has is this as important as what you have ? ..........
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2006, 04:25:47 AM »

Mmm had a quick scan through this thread. Bit of a snooker buff on the quiet. Used to play with higgins in wishaw and we used to play against dott in the league. I think the snooker was scrappy but fully committed. If you have ever played any sort of controlled sport in a live enviroment in front of 2000 spectators and with the tv cameras and lights on you. You would then realise how incredibly difficult it is to hold yourself together. Dott showed his B*lls when he produced the 60 odd clearence to pinch the frame after he had lost 6 on the bounce. The man deserved to win the tournament based on his combination of skill and determination as well as his huge gonads. Just my 2p worth.
he showed his emotion, let him get away with it this once.

as far as bad ettiqutte goes what murphy done with the chalk incident was a right liberty, got what he deserved as maguire smashed him in that match.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »

Bump

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: