blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272685 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 237618 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »

kanadia tr4

much comfier than my road shoes

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1261 on: August 10, 2013, 11:39:25 PM »

Nice. I have those for hockey (different colour though ldo).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1262 on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

Doing a 10k race this morning. Playing poker till 3 this morning probably not the best preparation and Mo Farah shouldn't be too concerned about me beating his 10k British record.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1263 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »

I was just outside his record.  Run took me 45 minutes, about 5 minutes from my 10K best.  The course was hilly, and despite being told it was uphill for the first 3K, if they said it was uphill for the first 6K and a lot of the rest as well then it would have been more useful.

Think my lack of preparation and lack of sleep added a few minutes to my time and I was labouring at some points.  Still had a bit of a sprint at the end, Mo would have been impressed.

Going to schedule in a few 10Ks over the next few months and do some proper training for them to see if I can break 40-minutes and do myself justice.  Might also plan in a half-marathon at some point as well.  Hockey season starts in September/October, and although it's good to cross-train, it does disrupt training for an actual race and trying to do a time.  Which brings me on to Tom's question...

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1264 on: August 11, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

How when and why did you get into running Boshi?

I don't consider myself a runner. I'd probably say I'm a hockey player who does a bit of running.  Not a member of a running club (might change that soon though), and not really a dedicated or committed runner - compared to gatso for example.  Of course, if the definition of a runner is someone who runs then of course I'm a runner. But when I see other people who run regularly, like a lot of the runners at the 10K today, I consider them to be runners and think I should maybe join a running club and take my running on a bit.  I'm not happy with my PBs for 10K, half-marathon or marathon.  I know with 'proper' training for them I could improve my times considerably, and think it's something I should do.

Why did I start running?  It was back in 2003, and decided that I wanted to run the London Marathon, something I watched every year on the telly and knew it was something I wanted to do. So I got myself some running shoes and went out.  Started with run/walking as I couldn't run more than 10-20 minutes without stopping/walking.  Slowly built that up over time, and then ran the London Marathon in 2004.  I'd had an injury on the run-up to that, and as I crossed the line I knew that I'd be doing it again despite being exhausted and unable to walk properly.

I've always done a lot of sport.  Did karate throughout my teens, and really enjoyed that.  Played for every team at school from football, rugby and basketball, through to tennis, hockey and a bit of athletics.  Certainly wasn't a distance runner at school though, and my best events were the sprints and the long and triple-jump.  At uni I started playing hockey seriously, and have been playing ever since.  Since I've started running, my hockey has improved as I've never been the most skilful of hockey players, but can read the game well and am pretty good at tackling.  Also a bit gobby, so good at organising the defence.  Now I'm probably fitter than I've ever been, despite my ever-increasing years, and my hockey has definitely improved because of that and I probably cover more metres in a game than most of the other players on the pitch.  Not sure how long that'll last though as I approach 'veterans' age for both hockey and running (40+ is deemed as veteran).

Anyway, time for a shower as I smell a bit after the run.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1265 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:08 AM »

Cheers for that comprehensive answer Dan.

I was hoping you were going to say that you were a fat bastard teetering in the edge of morbid obesity until running pulled you back from the brink.

Now I want to hear more about the karate. Can you duff virtually any untrained geezer up? 

The older I get, the better I was.
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1266 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:07 AM »

I think you're confusing me & boshi Smiley

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1267 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:16 AM »

Cheers for that comprehensive answer Dan.

I was hoping you were going to say that you were a fat bastard teetering in the edge of morbid obesity until running pulled you back from the brink.

Fortunately, I've never been fat, but I've certainly been out of shape. During periods when I've been more sedentary my lack of fitness would be apparent. Running up a flight of stairs would leave me out of breath as would any light exercise.

I've mentioned before that heart disease is prevalent in my dad's side of the family and so I tend to eat low-fat food, have never smoked, and I think that exercise is also important. My dad was never overweight, but that didn't stop him from having a heart attack when he was 40 and needing a quadruple bypass when he was 60 (he's 83 next month). II'm hoping I can avoid heart problems, or at least do something to try and prevent them.

Now I want to hear more about the karate. Can you duff virtually any untrained geezer up? 

Not unless they're a another 12 and a half stone weakling as well. I'd rather talk my way out of trouble, although I have intervened in situations where I might not have had the confidence to do so without it. At least now I know I can out-run a lot of people if necessary Cheesy

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1268 on: August 13, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »

Got back to the Couchto10k grind today after a five day break to let my achilles recover. Good news is that achilles didn't hurt. Bad news is that it was a completely horrendous run. I struggled from start to finish, felt crap the whole way, and almost stopped several times. But I finished it.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1269 on: August 13, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »

Got back to the Couchto10k grind today after a five day break to let my achilles recover. Good news is that achilles didn't hurt. Bad news is that it was a completely horrendous run. I struggled from start to finish, felt crap the whole way, and almost stopped several times. But I finished it.

Don't worry about it feeling bad.  You'll get back to where you were quickly, like you said the main thing was getting back out there and getting it done.

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 15, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »

If anybody is a size 9.5 shoe and would like a free pair of Nike zoom structure (prob unisex but they have a go faster orange bottom to them!!!!) then just say so on here!

Last year I sent off for a camelbak bladder and these bad boys turned up. Since then they have been sitting redundant, if anyone can put them to use and i don't mean ebay then they are more than welcome.

I will possible be in DTD this weekend or next, where I can drop off.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1271 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »

If anybody is a size 9.5 shoe and would like a free pair of Nike zoom structure (prob unisex but they have a go faster orange bottom to them!!!!) then just say so on here!

Last year I sent off for a camelbak bladder and these bad boys turned up. Since then they have been sitting redundant, if anyone can put them to use and i don't mean ebay then they are more than welcome.

I could do with those if they will fit.

I usually take size 9 to 11 depending on price....

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1272 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

What, you go for the nines if they're cheaper?

Wink

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 15, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »

Will reserve these for you Red! Small chance that i am dtd tomorrow night. Will let you know.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 15, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »

In my experience Nikes tend to come out on the large size so they should be fine for you Tom.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: