blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272702 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Bonus Whoring...scourge of my life
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bonus Whoring...scourge of my life  (Read 5613 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:32:08 AM »

OK, hands up if you are like me?

You can't resist the lure of something for nothing...so online bonus promtions are irresistible

You get near to clearing it and then the inevitable bad beats/bad play/lack of discipline happens

Often because you are playing only to clear the bonus, particularly for those with time limits

Stars has a 20% bonus on deposits up to $600 before tomorrow night (this is so widely known, forgive the advertising, I have no relationships with stars other than as a player)

Should I bother?

How do you guys clear them most profitably?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:50:25 AM »

http://www.tightpoker.com/bonus/
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 11:55:20 AM »

The Stars bonuses (and also Paradise) are the easiest ones to deal with as they don't expire and are stackable so all I do is make the qualifying deposit within the deadline and then clear them as and when I feel like it.  At present I've got 5 Stars bonuses stacked and waiting to clear and about $600 of Paradise bonuses.  I don't play there with the sole intention of clearing the bonuses - they just clear as and when I meet the requirements.

The main source of time-restricted bonuses are the Party Skins, which tend to give between 7 and 30 days to meet the raked hand requirements.  Fortunately for me, the limit ring games on Party are my regular game so I just deposit for the bonus and continue to play my regular game, albeit from whichever skin I'm clearing the bonus from.  Quite often the bonus is an 'irrelevance' compared to the amount of money I win or lose as I clear it but its still free money.  If I don't clear one then I'm not too worried, there'll be another one available soon enough.

A good example of this is the current Multipoker offering - there are 5 100% bonuses ($100, $200, $300, $400, and $500) at present, each with 20 days to clear them.  Its possible to deposit for each of them so I'm planning to make the deposits for the lowest through to the highest and then see how far I get towards clearing them.  I'd need to play 30,000 raked hands in 20 days for the full $1500, which I have no chance of doing, but I'll probably get a few of them done.

As for the other bonus offerings I tend not to chase them specifically as they are either a pain to clear (e.g. UB) or the games/software aren't worth the hassle (e.g Crypto skins, Pacific, CelebPoker).  If its not one of your regular sites then you'll invariably be playing off a lowish bankroll and will probably be playing lower limits than usual.

If you've got a rakeback account somewhere you'll be far better off playing there than chasing bonuses all over the place.  If you can clear a bonus on a rakeback site then better still (although some sites will deduct the bonus from your rake figures so be careful).

Sheriff

PS:  The comment regarding limits are aimed at TightEnd specifically.  If anyone reading this is playing on a bankroll of $1000 or under then actively chasing bonuses is actually a very good way of building it up, as its likely that you won't be dropping down limits to do so.  I, like many others, actively did this when I started out and its a great way to learn the game.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 12:00:39 PM »

thank you, extremely useful advice

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigArmo

Come on City!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 12:08:45 PM »

Got to admit i always take Stars up on there bonus offers no matter whats in my account,i got my $120 bonus last night no hassle paid soon as i hit 600fpp.
Think chasing bonus on sites u don't play that often can become expensive but if my regular site wants to give me 20% i'll take it  Wink.

Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 01:52:38 PM »

I've got several hundred dollars of Stars bonuses stacked i.e. sitting waiting to be cleared at my leisure.

I always try to play the Party skin bonuses - just battering through 3 or 4 low limit tables simultaneously. When it goes well, it's easy money. But it can be a bit boring, and also intensely frustrating if you run into a school of lucky fish.

There's only so many times you can see guys cold call three bets with 84 suited and hit two pair on the river to crack your Aces, before your sanity starts to falter.

It's definitely the way to go if you are starting out and trying to build a bankroll from scratch. Just set up a Neteller account and use that to switch your money between sites.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 01:54:12 PM by Div » Logged

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 02:09:44 PM »

Got to admit i always take Stars up on there bonus offers no matter whats in my account,i got my $120 bonus last night no hassle paid soon as i hit 600fpp.
Think chasing bonus on sites u don't play that often can become expensive but if my regular site wants to give me 20% i'll take it  Wink.

and your bankroll needs all the help it can get!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

p.s. now you got your $120 bonus thru - how about you pay me back that 50 cents you owe me?Huh?

sponsored by Fyffes
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 01:46:24 AM »

What a great post by Sheriff Fatman.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 01:15:13 PM »

What a great thread.

At micro limits is it a case of calling almost every hand preflop and folding if missed in order to hit required number of raked hands asap or is it still best to play a solid game and take longer to clear the bonus?

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 02:47:38 PM »

What a great thread.

At micro limits is it a case of calling almost every hand preflop and folding if missed in order to hit required number of raked hands asap or is it still best to play a solid game and take longer to clear the bonus?

Depends what the bonus criteria are. On Party/Stars/UB its being dealt in, on Prima/Tribeca skins its active participation. On the former I play tighter than a gnats chuff Cheesy, the latter I try only to get involved with premium hands at low limits.

I have largely given up on Party though as their time limits are too tough for part timers like me Wink

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 03:51:53 PM »

Thanks.

How often do Stars and Party etc offer reload bonuses?

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 03:56:48 PM »

stars offer a reload bonus when ever there is a big promo about to start
or sometimes during a holiday period

the bonus is only available for normally less than a week

but once you deposit you can wait as long as you want to earn the fpp

problem with stacking bonuses for me is i like to be able to move money around the sites at a drop of a hat

and i believe you cannot make a withdrawl while a bonus is waiting to be earned

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 04:02:45 PM »

Nice one, Iron.

That's one of the great things about this forum, you get the heads-up on pitfalls etc.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 04:12:12 PM »

problem with stacking bonuses for me is i like to be able to move money around the sites at a drop of a hat

Thats 100% untrue as far as Pokerstars, Paradise and Ultimatebet is concerned

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 04:17:39 PM »

Thats 100% untrue as far as Pokerstars, Paradise and Ultimatebet is concerned

i learn something new everyday

i have never tried doing a withdrawl at stars with a bonus waiting because i know some sites dont like it

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: