blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:51:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The chilling words of a murderer?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The chilling words of a murderer?  (Read 8842 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:59 PM »

"I had a huge adrenaline rush, love the choice, I love it, I love it... I hope I'm in the room when he dies."

These were not the words of James Holmes, the man who killed 12 people at a cinema in Aurora, Colorado last year though.

These were uttered by the best friend of someone he killed when he learned prosecutors planned to press for the death penalty for Holmes at his upcoming trial.

The USA is one fucked up country.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:30:29 PM by The Camel » Logged

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:16 AM »

As Oscar Wilde said, the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without going through civilisation first.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »

I am pro death penalty, but I wouldn't express my support for it in these words.  However, in this case the death penalty is absolutely justfied in my opinon.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »

I don't agree with the death penalty, and don't agree with the words that the friend has spoken.

But not sure they're the words of a 'murderer'.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »

I don't agree with the death penalty, and don't agree with the words that the friend has spoken.

But not sure they're the words of a 'murderer'.

I should have put a question mark at the end of the title.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »

I am pro death penalty, but I wouldn't express my support for it in these words.  However, in this case the death penalty is absolutely justfied in my opinon.

I am no shrink, but do you really think this was the actions of a sane man?

Lock him up and throw away the key sure, but if you put him to death you are dragging society down to his level.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure that if someone had killed my best friend I'd have exactly the same thoughts. Much better to have the justice system kill him than have to worry about wanting to do it myself so yes, at the moment of finding out I think an adrenaline rush would be on the cards.

Whether I'd vocalise my thoughts is a different matter altogether.

I certainly can't see why someone having this thought process makes the USA 'fucked up'? Seems a perfectly natural reaction in my opinion.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »

Lock him up and throw away the key sure, but if you put him to death you are dragging society down to his level.

Either would suffice in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure death is a much better deterrent to stop other psychopaths copying him in the future though so it would definitely be my preference.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure death is a much better deterrent to stop other psychopaths copying him in the future though so it would definitely be my preference.

The death penalty acts as a deterrent, in particular to other psychopaths?  Do you have the figures to back that up?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »

I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but if a man walks into a cinema and shoots kids in their seats, I don't really care if he is insane or not.  We should dispatch him and allow society to high five itself as morale is repaired.   It's not about deterrent for me - just vengence for society.  I concede I am a bit of a caveman in this regard though.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »

From the reports on the trial and especially his court appearances in the days immediately after I would say this guy is 100% not sane.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »

Death penalty has zero deterrent effect - no one thinks 'If I get caught killing this guy I'll spend the rest of my life in prison - that's OK. Good job there isn't the death penalty, or I wouldn't do this'

The only reason to have the death penalty is economic - 5 feet of rope is way cheaper than keeping someone in prison for 40 years.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »

No - there is another reason.  Death penalty boosts the collective morale of society to see ultimate justice served.

So cost and morale.  Good enough reasons for me.

I don't necessarily agree with the deterrent issue either.  If a friend asked me to hold his bag of coke for him while he went to the toliet I'd probably be okay with it in this country.  Less so in Bali/Thailand or wherever it is where they hang you.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »

The death penalty acts as a deterrent, in particular to other psychopaths?  Do you have the figures to back that up?

Of course I have figures. I wouldn't have said it otherwise. I also have independent scientific studies at my disposal which prove everything I say beyond any doubt.

Unfortunately I keep all the evidence in my pants and you aren't allowed access so you'll have to take my word for it.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

Death penalty has zero deterrent effect - no one thinks 'If I get caught killing this guy I'll spend the rest of my life in prison - that's OK. Good job there isn't the death penalty, or I wouldn't do this'

The only reason to have the death penalty is economic - 5 feet of rope is way cheaper than keeping someone in prison for 40 years.

Do you have figures to back that up?

I don't mind if you keep the figures in your pants, I'll just take your word for it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: