blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The chilling words of a murderer?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The chilling words of a murderer?  (Read 8839 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 12:48:21 PM »

The problem we have is that murder is already "beyond reasonable doubt", so there can't be another category above that for "no doubt whatsoever" as it devalues the murder conviction.

It is up to the CPS to be responsible in seeking the death penalty (hypothetically) and unfortunately we have to live with the occasional miscarriage of justice on the basis that it is for the greater good.

No we don't.  That's the sole reason that any argument for the death-penalty is flawed.  The justice system killing one innocent person is too many.

That's your opinion. If the death of one innocent is outweighed by the benfitis then it is acceptable in my opinion.

The underpinnings of our whole justice system are based on the protection of the innocent. 

It's a much better system than the Wild West. IMO of course.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »

The problem we have is that murder is already "beyond reasonable doubt", so there can't be another category above that for "no doubt whatsoever" as it devalues the murder conviction.

It is up to the CPS to be responsible in seeking the death penalty (hypothetically) and unfortunately we have to live with the occasional miscarriage of justice on the basis that it is for the greater good.

No we don't.  That's the sole reason that any argument for the death-penalty is flawed.  The justice system killing one innocent person is too many.

That's your opinion. If the death of one innocent is outweighed by the benfitis then it is acceptable in my opinion.

The underpinnings of our whole justice system are based on the protection of the innocent. 

It's a much better system than the Wild West. IMO of course.

/Thread

Ah! The element of surprise
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »

"However, am I the only one who finds executions that are viewed absolutely abhorrent. It does scare me that people want to watch executions. "

The point of an execution (in my mind) should be to repair the morale of society.  Thus I think the execution itself should be freely available for public consumption.

Dear Simon Cowell

Please read the attached link as background to my idea for your next Saturday night TV project, the be called The X-ecution Factor.

My fee is a reasonable 25% of commercial revenues.

Thanks   AndrewT
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »

"However, am I the only one who finds executions that are viewed absolutely abhorrent. It does scare me that people want to watch executions. "

The point of an execution (in my mind) should be to repair the morale of society.  Thus I think the execution itself should be freely available for public consumption.

Dear Simon Cowell

Please read the attached link as background to my idea for your next Saturday night TV project, the be called The X-ecution Factor.

Thanks   AndrewT

I would series link that fo sho!

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »

And for the series winner................... it's Barrabas time. 
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »

Plenty and I mean plenty of "certain guilty" cases in UK in the past 40 years have turned out to be sham convictions.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »

Dear Simon Cowell

Thanks   AndrewT

I would series link that fo sho!

Milli - we've already established that you're the forum psychopath/sociopath Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »

Have no problem with death sentence in some cases where there is clearly no doubt they did it and admitted it etc. Anders Brevik or whatever his name is springs to mind as an example.

How does a system ensure that there's 'no doubt'?  

Difficult one, but for sure there are some cases where the person was caught red handed admitted it etc and there really is no doubt. The above example is one and there are others.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/themes/crime_and_punishment/miscarriages_of_justice/default.stm

A lot of those 'admitted' their guilt.

They are fking stupid then lol

far too simplistic. Mental problems, police coercion, defending others involved......lots of reasons why confessions can be unsafe

There are still deffo cases where there really is no doubt, I have given one example.

So it's OK to sentence all the others where (By your logic) there is doubt, to life in prison?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »

Remember the chilling words of Ned Flanders.

I'm a mur-diddley-urderer!

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

Have no problem with death sentence in some cases where there is clearly no doubt they did it and admitted it etc. Anders Brevik or whatever his name is springs to mind as an example.

Difficult one, but for sure there are some cases where the person was caught red handed admitted it etc and there really is no doubt. The above example is one and there are others.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/themes/crime_and_punishment/miscarriages_of_justice/default.stm

far too simplistic. Mental problems, police coercion, defending others involved......lots of reasons why confessions can be unsafe

There are still deffo cases where there really is no doubt, I have given one example.

So it's OK to sentence all the others where (By your logic) there is doubt, to life in prison?

I would prefer that life really meant life.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

Fair enough, but what about my question?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »

Fair enough, but what about my question?

Because I know where your leading with your question. Your gonna say the same thing Boshi did with the 99.99999% thing, we all know there are cases that there is no doubt, the Anders Brevik one is the obvious one alluded to.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »

I agree with you (that doesn't happen too often Cheesy) that in many cases, a life sentence should be 'life' - especially in cases where rehabilitation isn't possible and the crimes are of a severity that deems such a punishment.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »

Here comes the hotstepper, murderer
I'm the lyrical gangster, murderer
Big up the crew in-a de area, murderer
Still love you like that, murderer
Boshi, thinks I should get let off, murderer
Still love you like that, murderer

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »