blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272677 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Natwest Phishing emails
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Natwest Phishing emails  (Read 1623 times)
MPOWER

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »

Just had this email. like a right Nobhead i responded.

Then the penny dropped I've had to cancel all my on linebanking. 

Dear Customer,
To protect your accounts, our monitoring process has temporarily suspended your online access. This had been done due to the number of incorrect login attempts.
At NatWest Bank, we take the job of protecting our customers very seriously, so for your protection we are proactively notifying you of this activity. Due to this, You are requested to follow the provided steps in order .To restore your online access please click on the Log in button below

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this action. Thank you for using NatWest Online.
The NatWest  Bank Group

Terms & Conditions | Security | Privacy   © NatWest Bank plc 2008

Regards

M

Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:34:24 PM »

Eeek, JG, you ought to know better. Weekends are the time for these emails when the branch offices etc are shut.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »

I'd had drama with my email so Virgin set it up again and I had 40 emails dead quick

I saw this from Natwest it looked dead real lol.

I filled in the details and it went straight to my account page. Then the penny dropped.

Not as bad as Thewy and his credit card... Must be a Nottingham thing being a bit thick.

Regards

M

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »

I have seen loads of these email at work and some of them are absolutely brilliant, I read one once that said 'Be aware of phishing emails, never give out your pass number we wont ask for the whole number etc'  At the bottom of the email was a Banner that led to a dodgy website that looked just like the genuine one!  Unbelievable

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »

I think the only bank I haven't received a phising email from is the one that I actually have an account with

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »

I think the only bank I haven't received a phising email from is the one that I actually have an account with

who is that and what is your sort code and account number...

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:00:31 PM »

who is that and what is your sort code and account number...

Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

I've had several phishing e-mails for NatWests accounts which were semi-sophisticated apart from the fact that I don't have an account with them. I made the effort to look up the NatWest site for the e-mail address to report them and got a patronising reply. Good luck to those of you that actually have an account with them. I've had loads for LloydsTSB who seem equally blase about it despite having an e-mail address on their website for reporting the scams. I've not even received an acknowledgement response.

My simple advice is NEVER follow a link from an e-mail purporting to be your bank even if it follows the criteria laid down for their security standard (e.g. quoting the last 4 digits of your account number). ALWAYS use your own link to the home page of your bank.

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 10:31:10 PM »

I've had several phishing e-mails for NatWests accounts which were semi-sophisticated apart from the fact that I don't have an account with them. I made the effort to look up the NatWest site for the e-mail address to report them and got a patronising reply. Good luck to those of you that actually have an account with them. I've had loads for LloydsTSB who seem equally blase about it despite having an e-mail address on their website for reporting the scams. I've not even received an acknowledgement response.

LOL - what can the banks do?

Send an email to some hacker in Moscow saying 'We've noticed those fake emails are causing a lot of bother - can you please stop sending them out'?
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »

Send an email to some hacker in Moscow saying 'We've noticed those fake emails are causing a lot of bother - can you please stop sending them out'?

If there's nothing they can do, which is not actually the case, then perhaps they shouldn't post a message on their web site saying "please report all phishing attempts by forwarding the e-mail to the following address".

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »

If there's nothing they can do, which is not actually the case, then perhaps they shouldn't post a message on their web site saying "please report all phishing attempts by forwarding the e-mail to the following address".

They already will never send out a mail asking for personal details, or asking people to follow a link in the mail, precisely because of phishing mails.

I'd imagine the reason why they ask people to forward mails onto them is partly so they notice any large spikes in mails concerning their particular bank and also to make people feel as if they're helping.

BTW - if you do know a way the banks can stop phishing mails then do let them know what it is - there'd be a fortune in it for you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: