blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272686 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16948 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2013/14 Ashes thread
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013/14 Ashes thread  (Read 72989 times)
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »

I fkn love Mondays off. What a day!

Gave up on 13th at noon today due to our 3 ball running out of Thatchers and cricket looking tasty.

Lunch followed by all that juicy ashes in the pub.

One of us lumped on England after the Clarke ball and that made for a great afternoon. What a ball from Broad that was.

I was at Lords for the Monday v SA last year which was a superb day out too. Mondays are fun days.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »

Re today's debate, if it's Umpire's call, the referring team shouldn't lose a review.

In tennis, a player can challenge out of hope or for a breather and can get lucky because it's 1mm on the line. The decision is it's either in our out and the challenges follow.

In cricket, the review process is to stop the bad decisions, in contrast to the Hawkeye in tennis or football. So, if it's clipping leg, that's one the umpires shouldn't really give, so it's right that the review doesn't overturn the on-field decision. But a reviewing bowler can feel hard done by if he's asking for a referral, is told the ball was hitting the stumps and loses a review.

It needs tweaking.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »

eg its just clipping leg stump. if given not out it stays not out. umpire lifts finger, challenge, stays out. Don't beleive its right to penalise the challenging team in addition to the wicket

DRS is for howlers. You challenge a marginal decision you deserve to lose one if you're wrong. You take the risk you pay the penalty.

Sandy

I agree with this - the DRS is supposed to be when you are sure the umpire has it wrong. If it's umpire's call then, by definition, it's not definite.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »

Re today's debate, if it's Umpire's call, the referring team shouldn't lose a review.

In tennis, a player can challenge out of hope or for a breather and can get lucky because it's 1mm on the line. The decision is it's either in our out and the challenges follow.

In cricket, the review process is to stop the bad decisions, in contrast to the Hawkeye in tennis or football. So, if it's clipping leg, that's one the umpires shouldn't really give, so it's right that the review doesn't overturn the on-field decision. But a reviewing bowler can feel hard done by if he's asking for a referral, is told the ball was hitting the stumps and loses a review.

It needs tweaking.

this is my point.

I do accept that many players on both teams challenge when they shouldn't, sometimes because of the importance of the wicket/player to the match situation

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »

It needs tweaking.

Umpire's call doesn't mean it's hitting. It means that some of the projected paths of the ball would hit the stumps, some of the paths won't.
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »

I thought it was if its marginal, like half a balls width, they stick with on field umpires decision. Whether out or not out?

Some very good original decisions in that session too I thought.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »

My view is that DRS is for howlers, far too often teams make tactical reviews hoping to get lucky. Umpires call is there as hawkeye is only a prediction of the future path the ball takes.
If you risk a review that's the chance you take imo.

On another point, how much is DRS changing scores in the game? Far more decisions are now being given out where previously the batsman would still be in. Spinners and lbw in particular!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 13, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »

I think DRS is ok, sure its not perfect and will get better, but the bottom line is there are more correct decisions being made than before. I quite like the drama of it also.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »

I think DRS is ok, sure its not perfect and will get better, but the bottom line is there are more correct decisions being made than before. I quite like the drama of it also.

This is huge for crowd participation in test matches. Dull afternoon then suddenly big appeal and ump gives it not out even if it stays not out this lifts the crowd massively and much more than if it was say big appeal then given not out then next ball bowled straight away

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »

Shamelessly stolen from Facebook:

If you rearrange "Shane Watson", you get "Want no Ashes".
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »

Jonny Bairstow dropped, weird one that...see no benefit in this.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 21, 2013, 03:15:13 PM »

A) just trying out 5 bowlers/2nd spinner in a dead rubber

b) He didn't take his chance to prove himself this summer, so he didn't cement his place in a way that say Root did

c) there is a definite technical fault of playing across the line which he needs to eradicate before being a true test match batsman

My eyes are open wide
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 21, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »

A) just trying out 5 bowlers/2nd spinner in a dead rubber

b) He didn't take his chance to prove himself this summer, so he didn't cement his place in a way that say Root did

c) there is a definite technical fault of playing across the line which he needs to eradicate before being a true test match batsman

30 ave. can only go one way, let him play out the series and work on his technique before the next ashes.

This series he averages more then Trott, Cook, prior,  and only 5 less then Pietersen and 8 less then root. Not sure he deserved being dropped when he is still learning and the others would be considered the finished articles so to speak. How many times has he come in with top end failed? wonder how its effected his performances...just hope he comes back stronger for it.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 21, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »

I know Root got a 180 or whatever it was, but his other innings have been dreadful.  Scores painfully slowly and then gets out in single figures.

Guess a big ton like that cements your place for a year or so though.  Unless you are Compton.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »

not strictly true, his 30 average could stay there or go down

He was the new kid on the block and didn't cement his place

He'll go to Australia in November, they will go back to 6 batsmen and he will have to make runs that series or that will be that

Obviously if the Ashes were still at stake they wouldn't have changed the balance of the side

No point displaying so much Yorkshire bias that it blinds you to the facts sir! He just hasn't been good enough this summer, neither have several others but they have 5000-8000 test match runs at 45 to fall back on....

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: