blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272714 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Zerofive's "Favourite Words" Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zerofive's "Favourite Words" Thread  (Read 17122 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »

Both french words

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »

Both french words

Language of love and all that.
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »

Both french Latin words

fyp

Crepuscule: From Latin creper (“dark, dusky”).
Fenestra = "window" in Latin

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »

Both french Latin words

fyp

Crepuscule: From Latin creper (“dark, dusky”).
Fenestra = "window" in Latin

one could make the argument that crepuscule does indeed come from Old French.

French and Latin are very distinct btw, indeed the notion of the 'latin' languages being derived as such is pretty bogus. Ofc official and scientific words often contain a latin root, but so many words do not, rather they come from pre-Italian which evolved along side latin was the language of commoners and soldiers. For example, very few of the roman soldiers who conquered france could speak latin and same for other romance languages as well. It's just so unlikely that these 4 languages all evolved in similar ways whilst latin took a different direction.

Some Examples: (EN, FR, IT, ES, RO, Latin)

Tomorrow: demain, domani, manana, maine - Latin: cras
Winter: hiver, inverno, invierno, iarna - Latin: hiems
Evening: soir, sera, tarde, seara - Latin: vesper
Thing: chose, cosa, cosa - Latin: res
Strength: force, forza, fuerza - Latin: vis
BMoney

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »

Defenestrate is definitely up there in my favourite words! I can't wait for the day I can actually use it in a sentence. I also thought it had French roots - one of the first phrases we learned in my remedial French class was "ouvre la fenetre".

I also quite like cacophony. And, subjugate is fun to say. Kafkaesque, as well.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2011, 01:43:20 AM »

Defenestrate is definitely up there in my favourite words! I can't wait for the day I can actually use it in a sentence. I also thought it had French roots - one of the first phrases we learned in my remedial French class was "ouvre la fenetre".

I also quite like cacophony. And, subjugate is fun to say. Kafkaesque, as well.

you might be pleased to learn that it was invented as a word in the 17th century to describe one particular situation:

The "Defenestration of Prague," May 21, 1618, when two Catholic deputies to the Bohemian national assembly and a secretary were tossed out the window (into a moat) of the castle of Hradshin by Protestant radicals. It marked the start of the Thirty Years War.

And I think I prefer kafkian to kafkaesque....something about the way it distorts his name.
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2011, 02:52:29 AM »

Amphioxus: both ends pointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16346065.  Scientists find brainless fish at last.
Should have tried the Riverboat Glasgow, hunners of em. Smiley

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2011, 06:07:34 AM »

Amphioxus: both ends pointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16346065.  Scientists find brainless fish at last.
Should have tried the Riverboat Glasgow, hunners of em. Smiley

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »

I love this thread, but just quoting the words and their definitions is like looking in a dictionary instead of reading poetry.

Before Leonardo da Vinci stepped in, the Mona Lisa was just so many pots of paint. Before Capability Brown, the gardens at Chatsworth were just windswept moorland, and before Shakespeare put flesh onto their bones and love into their hearts, Romeo and Juliet were just the jumbled letters of our somewhat idiosyncratic alphabet.   

The older I get, the better I was.
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

Pancrack........to be out of work.

Love it!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »

I love this thread, but just quoting the words and their definitions is like looking in a dictionary instead of reading poetry.

Before Leonardo da Vinci stepped in, the Mona Lisa was just so many pots of paint. Before Capability Brown, the gardens at Chatsworth were just windswept moorland, and before Shakespeare put flesh onto their bones and love into their hearts, Romeo and Juliet were just the jumbled letters of our somewhat idiosyncratic alphabet.   

<3 this

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »

Took me nearly 3 months to post this-

Procrastinate

Ah! The element of surprise
chatban

I harv a veek harnd.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »

Clunge.

[ ] raising the tone
rudders

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »

not poetry but from Look back in anger  - three of my favouite words........

Jimmy Porter: Nigel and Alison, they're what they sound like, sycophantic, phlegmatic and pusillanimous.
Cliff Lewis: Big words.
Jimmy Porter: Shall I tell you what they mean?
Cliff Lewis: No not interested, don't want to know.
Jimmy Porter: Soapy, stodgy and dim.

just for the record without looking in a dictionary I also love the german word schadenfreude - to laugh at others misfortune - a rubdown by any other name

poltroon was a an insult used by one of the old tribeca players who hailed from New York- I cant for the life of me remember his name ( help me out some one.... rob.... or rom... somat}His insults were never mundane and rarely understood by the windowlickers they were aimed at... oh and it means an abject coward- fitting perhaps for those keyboard warriers out there
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:06:55 AM by rudders » Logged

Blonde Roshambo champion 2007
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »

not poetry but from Look back in anger  - three of my favouite words........

Jimmy Porter: Nigel and Alison, they're what they sound like, sycophantic, phlegmatic and pusillanimous.
Cliff Lewis: Big words.
Jimmy Porter: Shall I tell you what they mean?
Cliff Lewis: No not interested, don't want to know.
Jimmy Porter: Soapy, stodgy and dim.

just for the record without looking in a dictionary I also love the german word schadenfreude - to laugh at others misfortune - a rubdown by any other name

poltroon was a an insult used by one of the old tribeca players who hailed from New York- I cant for the life of me remember his name ( help me out some one.... rob.... or rom... somat}His insults were never mundane and rarely understood by the windowlickers they were aimed at... oh and it means an abject coward- fitting perhaps for those keyboard warriers out there

Raymondo ?

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: