blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272685 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Live plo river spot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live plo river spot  (Read 3309 times)
pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:29:30 AM »

One from a couple of years ago that I still comes to mind from time to time, I hadn't been playing plo very long at all, probably only my 4/5th live game at the time and I know I was making lots of mistakes, playing overly tight but did have a very tight image as a result of it.

Ok the game is 2/2 456 plo in leeds.  Only 2 of the reg plo players playing, rest of table is made up of holdem players, playing because the game was quieter than usual (not playing for stacks EVERY hand!)

I'm dealt its limped to me I pot to £14, both regs call as does 1 other.
£60 pot I'm liking the flop of  two hearts I bet the pot £60, reg on button calls.  He has me covered, I started the hand with about £500.

Turn brings the  . Given my image I was thinking a check may induce a semi bluff from a flopped set (that's what I think I was thinking anyway!) 2/3 of which I'm now crushing all ends up.  Villain checks back.

River is a complete brick, to the point I can't remember what it was, but it's irrelevant.  I bet £75 hoping for a sigh call, only to hear the word "pot" from villain and a whole pile of ponies move over the line.  I look back at the board and shit myself.

My thought process at the time and still is now that a) can't be a bare  bluff cos I have it b) he maybe takes my turn check as weakness and just thinks I don't have it c) could have just the hoping I won't sigh call with ace flush d) he actually has it and thinks I'm gonna snap off with an ace flush.

I tanked forever on this, can we fold or do we just put it in??

I've never got it.....ever
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:54:02 AM »

Turn brings the  . Given my image I was thinking a check may induce a semi bluff from a flopped set (that's what I think I was thinking anyway!) 2/3 of which I'm now crushing all ends up.  Villain checks back.

This is your main error in the hand imo.

You have previously said you are perceived as very tight and playing overly tight so when you pot pre and pot this flop multiway I think almost everyone will be putting you on the nuts, so just bet the turn and jam the river. That way you get value on turn from lower flushes and sets and don't allow these hands cheaper showdown.

As played it's obviously pretty sick and probably a fold but most people would call.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »

TTJh9hx is a pretty credible holding for a reg to have pre and obv call on the flop, so prob a fold but difficult to do. 

Mumble "bare ace bluffs don't work in this game then" when you fold.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:33:57 PM »

I want to call because he checked vs us a perceived tight player who probably has the nut flush and this seems like a really bad way to play a straight flush but I still think it's a fold. I'd be betting the turn in your spot though, probably 110. Letting him see a free pair up sucks.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »

This should just be bet on the turn. No need to not put a smaller flush in a tough spot, no need to give free equity to a set. If you're thinking "well I am tight, he can never call if I bet the turn"... well just remind yourself that you will play the bare Ace this way too and you'll feel much better about just betting.

As played, in my experience you will end up looking at the straight flush well over half the time. But it may still be a call because you're getting 2 to 1 and you might win over 33% of the time. Especially since you have played the hand 'trickily' which might - you hope - increase the chances of him having something unusual. Since it is a pretty close spot, this is where you should use any read at all - however spurious - to sway the balance one way or the other between calling and folding.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »

This in leeds? Who is the opponent?  There are people IN that game to consider This call vs, and others who have the SF 1000%

Generically this is a defo fold Mind but it's also not one to really beat yourself up over too hard

pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »

Was thinking you might ask who.  It was Norman.  I know he has got a well timed bluff in him which is why it still keeps coming back to me.  For the record I did fold, I remember at the time I thought it was the best fold in the world lol and folded face up.  The whole table gasped in disbelief, and Norman promptly told me "you can't fold that!"  Before showing me 2 black tens and a 3.  Leaving two cards face down into the muck.  Would love to hear your thoughts now Dave.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:18:57 PM »

Was thinking you might ask who.  It was Norman.  I know he has got a well timed bluff in him which is why it still keeps coming back to me.  For the record I did fold, I remember at the time I thought it was the best fold in the world lol and folded face up.  The whole table gasped in disbelief, and Norman promptly told me "you can't fold that!"  Before showing me 2 black tens and a 3.  Leaving two cards face down into the muck.  Would love to hear your thoughts now Dave.

Hilarious. If he hadn't shown any he might be bluffing which is nonsensical in itself but when he does this he always has it

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »

Hilarious. If he hadn't shown any he might be bluffing which is nonsensical in itself but when he does this he always has it

That's what I like to think too, and I'm still happy with the fold, especially as I think it was genuine annoyance from him that he didn't get paid.  Interesting spot none the less.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »

I'd fold this 100% vs Norman. He will always have the straight flush.
pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »

I'd fold this 100% vs Norman. He will always have the straight flush.

You play leeds too?  Never ceases to amaze me how many people in here I've probably played with without knowing.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »

Rarely nowadays. But I've played with Norman for 10 years or so, in various different games.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »

Yup.

People always show the not relevant part of their hand. he had it. good fold.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 02:32:37 AM »

Ahh vs Norman...

Very good fold, wp.

He does have a well timed bluff im him,  that time is prolly 10 yrs ago :-p

this would be a very bad spot to be bluffing. You almost certainly have the nut flush and no logical reason to expect you to fold it, and it goes without saying he won't raise anything worse for value.

So YeH. You played the river good, bet the turn though,  keep it simple in this game...good hand = bet - leave the tricky stuff out and you'll do fine :-)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: