blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273480 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Professional CV Writing? any recommendations?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Professional CV Writing? any recommendations?  (Read 1722 times)
Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »

Hey all Smiley

Posting for a little bit of advice.. lil bit of background first I've been in IT 7 years pretty much since I bailed out of uni and have worked my way up to a high level of 2nd/3rd line desktop / server support adding a Microsoft Certified Professional qualification along the way. My current role is on a one year rolling contract which is fine and all but is not by any means concrete and makes future considerations pretty sketchy atm..

My problem is this.. I cannot get an interview for love nor money jobs that are either the same role as just now or roles slightly below my skillset.. whilst I understand there is a larger number of people applying for roles I think with the volume of jobs Im going for which are pretty much identical to the role I've been doing for the past 3 years I am turned down constantly.. generally not hearing anything back.

Anyone reccomend cv writers or have any info on what makes a readable cv? I have a pretty high acceptance rate once I get to interview.. just cant get there atm Sad
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:27:35 PM by Suited_Jock » Logged
vinni

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »

i`ll do you one ,you`ll get plenty of interveiws .

i`v become cos`s bitch
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »

Not if he is applying for a job as a proof reader though !

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
vinni

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »

as a what ? ,poof reading .

i`v become cos`s bitch
Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »

I guess another Q would be if any blondes out there worked in recruitment that wouldnt mind looking over my CV to give a few pointers.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

I could suggest using a spell checker to find out how to spell "recommendations" Wink

I know what you mean though. I can't get an interview for love nor money unless the company already knows me. The problem with that is that the companies that know me all work in Telecomms and I hate the industry and want to get out.

I am getting a CV from someone who had theirs done by an HR manager who works for Sky tomorrow. I will ping it over to you, minus private details obv, if you PM me your email address.

p.s. If you like your job a one year rolling contract is not the end of the world at the moment. Better that than being stuck in a permanent job you hate, no?

p.p.s. I was once quoted 3k to get my CV done.. (5 different versions of it)...so it ain't cheap to go to a professional agency.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
ScottMGee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:58:45 PM »

My current role is on a one year rolling contract which is fine and all but is not by any means concrete and makes future considerations pretty sketchy atm..

So you are guaranteed a job for the next 12 months right?

In the real world that looks pretty secure to me as most places only have to give you 4 weeks notice.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »

I could suggest using a spell checker to find out how to spell "recommendations" Wink

I know what you mean though. I can't get an interview for love nor money unless the company already knows me. The problem with that is that the companies that know me all work in Telecomms and I hate the industry and want to get out.

I am getting a CV from someone who had theirs done by an HR manager who works for Sky tomorrow. I will ping it over to you, minus private details obv, if you PM me your email address.

p.s. If you like your job a one year rolling contract is not the end of the world at the moment. Better that than being stuck in a permanent job you hate, no?

p.p.s. I was once quoted 3k to get my CV done.. (5 different versions of it)...so it ain't cheap to go to a professional agency.

tell them about your staking thread and your racist forum where you dont let anyone in and probably talk about hamsters and ikea tables and hotdog/burger hybrids all day, and if you need a reference just tell them to bell me thumbs up
Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:44:10 PM »

This guy is a friend of mine and is very good at helping people with cvs and interviews.

http://www.nlpinterviewtechniques.com/cvwriting.html

Hypnosis in cvs FTW.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:22:23 AM »

tell them about your staking thread and your racist forum where you dont let anyone in and probably talk about hamsters and ikea tables and hotdog/burger hybrids all day, and if you need a reference just tell them to bell me thumbs up

hmmm hotburgers

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »

Barry's CV's always win.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: