blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 09:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272896 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  What could have happened here?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What could have happened here?  (Read 1772 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »

I have TV/broadband/line rental with Sky.  Just checking through my bank statement for last month I noticed they'd charged me £10 more than usual.  Had a look at my bill online, and the additional cost is for call charges.  Itemised bill shows 40 odd calls made mainly on 18/19 November, to a mixture of local, national and mobile numbers.  I've not made any calls from my landline for about 3 years - there isn't even a working phone plugged in at the moment.

I gave sky a call and they said the calls are definitely showing as made from my number, but they're going to investigate and let me know what they find within 28 days. 

Just wondering really (coz I like answers), is it possible that my phone line could have been hacked somehow? What other explanations could there be for something like this?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »

A simple, common or garden balls up?

The older I get, the better I was.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »

Weird, maybe worth getting them to check there still is not any calls being made?
Just incase someone has managed to connect to your line somehow.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »

a few years ago there were several cases of the sky set top box making calls on the phone line it was connected to - i think
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »

Weird, maybe worth getting them to check there still is not any calls being made?
Just incase someone has managed to connect to your line somehow.

nothing after 19th November.

a few years ago there were several cases of the sky set top box making calls on the phone line it was connected to - i think

don't think it's this due to the variety of calls - some appear to be residential numbers, some company numbers, some mobiles etc.  Somehow or other it looks like someone else's phone calls have gone out on my phone line.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »

Subscription for "extra" channels - Claw you minx!
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »

don't be silly - it's all free on t'internet

SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »

don't be silly - it's all free on t'internet

is it?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »

It really is incredibly simple to tap in to someone's phone line.

It's more likely a physical tap rather than something software related.

Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

If they insist that you have to pay the bill and you're 100% certain it's not you tell them you want the physical line testing to make sure nobody's tapped in to it.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

Would someone tapping in to a phoneline really only use £10 worth of calls to various nrs over two days?

Wouldn't the physical line check have to be done by BT? Nothing to do with Sky as far as I can see as your line-rental is obv through BT.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »

just off the phone to sky again as the 28 days has long passed.  she could see a note of my earlier call but couldn't make out what, if anything, they'd done to look into it, but advised me to 'give them another week or two'.   She was pretty insistent that, in her opinion, there was no way this could have happened other than someone making the calls from my house.  Now I suppose it's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that someone's broken in (leaving no signs and with their own phone to plug into the phone line) when i've been at work just to make a tenners worth of calls, but would say there must be much more likely explanations.  At this rate it's going to cost me more to pursue it than i've been overcharged!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: