blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:45:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272718 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The Tote Jackpot Rollover - £2 Million Tomorrow
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tote Jackpot Rollover - £2 Million Tomorrow  (Read 25811 times)
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8369528/Racegoer-wins-1.5m-jackpot-with-2-stake.html

Steve Whiteley, 60, went to the racecourse at Exeter for free using his bus pass, then entered the grounds for free through a promotion.

Mr Whiteley, a heating engineer who only goes to the races twice a year, put his money on the Tote Jackpot, which requires punters to pick every winning horse in six races.

As each race takes place, those who did not pick the winner are eliminated and the field of gamblers rapidly thins. If no one picks all six winners, the winning pot rolls over to the following event.

Yesterday, 363,000 tickets picked the winner in the first leg, but just 9,076 tickets then repeated their success in the second. The field was slashed again after the third race, which saw 571 punters go through. Only seven people picked the fourth winner, and Mr Whitley was the only ticket left for both of the final races.

The winning horses were Semi Colon (at odds of 2-1), Black Phantom (12-1), Ammunition (16-1), Mr Bennett (16-1), Lundy Sky (5-1) and Lupita (12-1).

The odds against achieving this feat are 368,639-1.

Speaking after the win, Mr Whiteley said: "The most exciting bit was when my mate said to me after the fourth race that there were only seven people in the whole country left in the jackpot. And then at the last he said 'There is only one left and it’s this one'.

"I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t look – I am shaking like a leaf.

"I am not a horse racing man. I go out once or twice a year."

He said his wife learned of his fortune as he was interviewed by the horse-racing programme At The Races, adding that his previous biggest win was £300.

In the Tote Jackpot, the total stakes entered are put into a pool, which is shared by the winners, rather than a fixed price being offered and every jackpot winner getting a set amount.

The total pool for yesterday's jackpot was just over £2million, which left Mr Whiteley with £1,425,309 after the Tote's deductions.

The jockey of the final winning horse was Jessica Lodge, who had ridden in 28 races without a victory before yesterday.

Asked how he picked her at 12-1, Mr Whiteley said: "Lodge was a name that was hanging in my head."

He insisted that his jackpot would not stop him working, adding that he would continue in his job "until I die", and said: "My wife just saw me on TV – she can’t believe it.

"I’m not really a gambling man. I phoned up today and it was free and I used my bus pass to get here."

George Primarolo, of Totesport, which organises the jackpot, said: "This is an incredible fairy story - Steve has won a fortune for two quid.

"It is the type of win that dreams are made of."

Graham Sharpe, of the bookmaker's William Hill, said: "Most punters aren't looking to win a million quid so it's a dream come true.

"I'm just glad he won it on the Tote and not with a bookmaker. Maybe he'd like to come to us now and spend a bit of his winnings."

If those odds are correct he would have won £1758276 for his £2 barring the fact no bookie would have actually paid the full winnings.

Sandy
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:13 AM »

shipped on tilt. sorry couldn't ship yesterday evening..forgot to take my lappie home with me

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »

If those odds are correct he would have won £1758276 for his £2 barring the fact no bookie would have actually paid the full winnings.

Sandy

Before "Tote deductions"

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8369528/Racegoer-wins-1.5m-jackpot-with-2-stake.html

Steve Whiteley, 60, went to the racecourse at Exeter for free using his bus pass, then entered the grounds for free through a promotion.

Mr Whiteley, a heating engineer who only goes to the races twice a year, put his money on the Tote Jackpot, which requires punters to pick every winning horse in six races.

As each race takes place, those who did not pick the winner are eliminated and the field of gamblers rapidly thins. If no one picks all six winners, the winning pot rolls over to the following event.

Yesterday, 363,000 tickets picked the winner in the first leg, but just 9,076 tickets then repeated their success in the second. The field was slashed again after the third race, which saw 571 punters go through. Only seven people picked the fourth winner, and Mr Whitley was the only ticket left for both of the final races.

The winning horses were Semi Colon (at odds of 2-1), Black Phantom (12-1), Ammunition (16-1), Mr Bennett (16-1), Lundy Sky (5-1) and Lupita (12-1).

Speaking after the win, Mr Whiteley said: "The most exciting bit was when my mate said to me after the fourth race that there were only seven people in the whole country left in the jackpot. And then at the last he said 'There is only one left and it’s this one'.

He said his wife learned of his fortune as he was interviewed by the horse-racing programme At The Races, adding that his previous biggest win was £300.

In the Tote Jackpot, the total stakes entered are put into a pool, which is shared by the winners, rather than a fixed price being offered and every jackpot winner getting a set amount.

The total pool for yesterday's jackpot was just over £2million, which left Mr Whiteley with £1,425,309 after the Tote's deductions.

The jockey of the final winning horse was Jessica Lodge, who had ridden in 28 races without a victory before yesterday.

Asked how he picked her at 12-1, Mr Whiteley said: "Lodge was a name that was hanging in my head."

He insisted that his jackpot would not stop him working, adding that he would continue in his job "until I die", and said: "My wife just saw me on TV – she can’t believe it.

"I’m not really a gambling man. I phoned up today and it was free and I used my bus pass to get here."

George Primarolo, of Totesport, which organises the jackpot, said: "This is an incredible fairy story - Steve has won a fortune for two quid.

Graham Sharpe, of the bookmaker's William Hill, said: "Most punters aren't looking to win a million quid so it's a dream come true.

"I'm just glad he won it on the Tote and not with a bookmaker. Maybe he'd like to come to us now and spend a bit of his winnings."

Sandy

he didnt put £2 on that "accumulator", he presumably put another £1 line that lost.  (Although obv the stupid journo has no clue about cumulative odds)

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 09, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »

Pm bank deets pls chris

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: March 09, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »

he didnt put £2 on that "accumulator", he presumably put another £1 line that lost.  (Although obv the stupid journo has no clue about cumulative odds)

Yeah he had 2 selections in the 3.30

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 09, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »

Plumjob Millionaire lolz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-12683126

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 09, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »

Sandy

I know but that's what his stake x the odds equals which is larger than the tote payout. As i said however, no bookie would payout that much due to the limits.

Sandy
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 09, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »

I know but that's what his stake x the odds equals which is larger than the tote payout. As i said however, no bookie would payout that much due to the limits.

Sandy

thats incorrect - the bet that won was a £1 bet and the payout was higher than an accumulator of the winning horses.
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »

Getting mixed up with the scoop 6 (£2 entry) d'oh.

Been a while since i dabbled with tote. I don't think they even do the trio anymore Sad

Sandy
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »

Getting mixed up with the scoop 6 (£2 entry) d'oh.

Been a while since i dabbled with tote. I don't think they even do the trio anymore Sad

Sandy

yes i don't do the scoop 6 for that reason. 
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: