blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Floods - the aftermath
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Floods - the aftermath  (Read 941 times)
david3103

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »

Daughter's house had 2 foot of water through it last Tuesday and I have to tell you it leaves a lot of mess...

The insurance has a £5k excess on flood claims and my first thought was that we could perhaps deal with the reparation ourselves for less than that.
The insurance assessor just visited and effectively laughed at the thought of it being anything less than £20k.
Drying out could eat the £5k?
Then there's plastering in every downstairs room; replacing the wooden floors; skirting boards; kitchen units; doors and more.

Anyone experienced any of this?

On the plus side, I would have had to project manage the job if we were doing it and now I just hand over the keys and keep an eye on progress.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
moonandback

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »

unfortunately I have experience with flooding from 3 years back when our house was just about destroyed (its a bungalow)  just make sure you include a value for absolutely everything contents wise that was damaged/ruined even if you aren't replacing it as I found that our insurance co was very tight with the building costs but very reasonable over contents. The biggest mistake we made was to hire our own insurance assessor to deal on our behalf and frankly they did nothing we couldn't have done ourselves much better and quicker in fact they were so slow that we ended up arguing with the insurance company ourselves and got a better settlement of which the assessor wanted a hefty%. 

its better that i have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

sorry to hear about this it really must be devastating !

5k excess is  that normal?

what area is it? have you photos?

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »

The watercourse that caused the problems is just beyond the wooden fence - usually it's around 6 foot below the street level and there's a 2 foot wall to add to that...

It's the fact that the house is so close to that watercourse that dictates the level of excess. All insurers agreed to provide cover under an agreement after the floods a few years ago. They provided the cover, but a £5k excess seems to be pretty standard.

The car (which thankfully is not Lucy's ) is parked outside her house.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Insurance companies go off postcodes too. Here in Scunny you get stung living in Dn17 on the Trent bank but also get stung at Dn17 at the top of the hill, probably 80m higher Sad

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
AceHighSuited

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »

PM sent.

Also,not related to floods specifically but anyone who may be looking for a home insurance quote I have a friend who has recently taken over a book as an intermediary and is happy to discuss quotes with anyone and give sound advice on policy cover.  If its something anyone needs drop me a PM and I will pass you on details. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: