blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 07:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Wales are officially a better team than Spain now...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wales are officially a better team than Spain now...  (Read 1688 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:30:13 PM »

....... In the Fifa world rankings. These rankings have been worthless for years but this just shows truely how worthless they really are. 
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »

They certainly are easily manipulable by a country's fixture organiser, just a shame England etc were too stupid to play that game after being advised by a shrewd fan who did all the calculations and sent the advice to them.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »

....... In the Fifa world rankings. These rankings have been worthless for years but this just shows truely how worthless they really are. 

Competely disagree.  If Wales have had better recent results than Spain they should be ranked higher.  Sure there is going to be some teams in the wrong place due to recent variance but you can allow for that.  They are just a snapshot of where the teams are on form right now.

If you'd have made more money backing Spain than Wales in the recent past then I'd be more willing to concede you have a point.  FWIW I suspect a good way to manipulate your ranking would be to arrange friendlies with Wales right now.  Cancel all your games with Spain.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »

I just don't even see the reason for the rankings even existing.  That is my biggest problem with them.  The only use i can see is for seeding at major events which causes teams like Switzerland (or wales if there was a euro's or WC next month) to be over valued and cause potential groups of death because of it whilst creating incredibly soft groups as a result the other way.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:14:07 PM »

I just don't even see the reason for the rankings even existing.  That is my biggest problem with them.  The only use i can see is for seeding at major events which causes teams like Switzerland (or wales if there was a euro's or WC next month) to be over valued and cause potential groups of death because of it whilst creating incredibly soft groups as a result the other way.

Not sure what the alternative is.  Wouldn't want Blatter and his cronies exchanging wads of cash for rankings, so it has to be something mathematical. 

There are always going to be teams out of place in the short run, but it seems find and much more sensible than giving a top ranking to Russia or Qatar as hosts.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »

Not sure what the alternative is.  Wouldn't want Blatter and his cronies exchanging wads of cash for rankings, so it has to be something mathematical. 

There are always going to be teams out of place in the short run, but it seems find and much more sensible than giving a top ranking to Russia or Qatar as hosts.

Just betfair ante post market maybe?   Grin  Seems a good a guide as any to the best teams in the world!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »

Just betfair ante post market maybe?   Grin  Seems a good a guide as any to the best teams in the world!

You give me a million and I'll make Gibratar the World's number 1 on the right date 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: