blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 09:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Greatest sporting upset ever?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest sporting upset ever?  (Read 3366 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »

A girl I worked with at the time had spent loads of holidays in Greece and loved the place. She was going to put a bet on Greece until I persuaded her not to be so silly.

What price were Greece pre-tournament?

Surely it should be quite easy to determine the biggest sporting upset ever by just looking at bookie (not Betfair, to allow fair comparison of past events) odds pre-match/tournament. But the greatest sporting upset ever might not be the longest odds thing happening, but would depend on your outlook. So a Greek would say them winning that Euros. A poker player might point to Moneymaker winning the main event.

Have it in my head they were 66/1.  May be wrong.

The poker ones can't count.  The chances of an amateur/semi pro type winning are always very good due to the volumes in the field.  So whilst it was a shock Jerry Yang won, it isn't really a shock someone like him won.  Maybe as time goes on, it will become a lot harder for a Jerry Yang/Moneymaker type to win.

Yer greece were a 66/1 80/1 poke pre event.  Not sure what price Denmark were in 1992 when they didn't even qualify, turned up late with no prep and still won.

Think we should be thinking of huge upsets in matches rather than outrights.  300/1+ winner in a sporting match is pretty unheard of pre event.  I can't think of another one in the betfair era in a major event pre match.  Obviously loads of carnage in running stories over the years but they don't count.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »

A girl I worked with at the time had spent loads of holidays in Greece and loved the place. She was going to put a bet on Greece until I persuaded her not to be so silly.

What price were Greece pre-tournament?

Surely it should be quite easy to determine the biggest sporting upset ever by just looking at bookie (not Betfair, to allow fair comparison of past events) odds pre-match/tournament. But the greatest sporting upset ever might not be the longest odds thing happening, but would depend on your outlook. So a Greek would say them winning that Euros. A poker player might point to Moneymaker winning the main event.

Have it in my head they were 66/1.  May be wrong.

The poker ones can't count.  The chances of an amateur/semi pro type winning are always very good due to the volumes in the field.  So whilst it was a shock Jerry Yang won, it isn't really a shock someone like him won.  Maybe as time goes on, it will become a lot harder for a Jerry Yang/Moneymaker type to win.

Yer greece were a 66/1 80/1 poke pre event.  Not sure what price Denmark were in 1992 when they didn't even qualify, turned up late with no prep and still won.

Think we should be thinking of huge upsets in matches rather than outrights.  300/1+ winner in a sporting match is pretty unheard of pre event.  I can't think of another one in the betfair era in a major event pre match.  Obviously loads of carnage in running stories over the years but they don't count.

Guess 150/1 was before qualifying started, 66/1 and 80/1 as the main tournament started.  Or my memory is just bad.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »

Appalachian state beating Michigan in 2007 is considered the biggest upset in college American football. The bookies didn't offer odds on it, as it considered such a huge mismatch. Probably equivalent of yesterday's shock.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: