blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273072 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Underhand or not?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underhand or not?  (Read 1387 times)
suzanne

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:24:09 PM »

Last night I decided to give Virgin a try and entered the 1k freerole. Was doing pretty well, had above average chips with 35 left when I made the inevitable bad call, left with 8xBB. So, im hanging in there praying for a monster hand or hoping to at least make the $$. No monster hand came and im down to 2200 chips(lowest chipped) BB is 1500 with 31 left in and im UTG +2. Look down to see the now all too familar hand of 72os... im a dead man walking. Waiting for tables to merge but no..still 31. Cards are dealt and chap on the big blind says "Congrats everyone for making the final 30". I check the counter and it still says 31 and there hasn't been enought time for a hand to have been played out. So I fold my 83os and type in "No there is still 31".....too late....matey a couple of seats down who was also low stacked has gone all in with his 55. BB says "LOL" and calls him with KK.
Opinions please, was this fair play or underhand?
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:26:54 PM »

It is a little underhand, certainly not a tactic the tank would employ.

At least now you've seen it there's no chance you'll be fooled by it.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 07:31:18 PM »

Yes it is a bit underhand - but then if the short stack is dumb enough to fall for it then he/she deserves everything coming to them.......

There is no way of knowing whether what was said influenced the decision or not - i come across people saying things to me all the time when i'm thinking about my decision and you just have to learn to blank it out. It may well be that the short stack just thought "sod it - i've got a pair thats good enough, lets gamble. it's only a freeroll so it hasnt cost me anything and i want to try and give myself a shot at getting as far as i can rather than just limping into the money for a massive $7"

sponsored by Fyffes
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 07:41:31 PM »

Yes I learnt a valueable lesson...never trust a poker player  Cheesy

This player had been folding every hand too matt so I got the impression he was waiting for me to blind out. As you said he should have checked there was 30 players and I suppose he could have just been taking his chances with a pair. It more the BB actions that I am questioning.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 07:45:30 PM »

Using that tactic in a freeroll makes the BB apperar to be a bit of a degenerate low life.

The kind of guy that was born broke, is broke just now and is odds on to die broke.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »

Using that tactic in a freeroll makes the BB apperar to be a bit of a degenerate low life.

The kind of guy that was born broke, is broke just now and is odds on to die broke.

wrong i wasnt playing

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:49:22 PM »

When i'm playing a mtt on pokerstars i always have the tournament lobby open and position it next to the table screen so i can see exactly how many people are left in, stack sizes, positions etc. it updates immediately after a hand at a table has finished so there is no excuse for not knowing exactly at what point of the tourney you are at.

and like you said - never trust a poker player Wink

sponsored by Fyffes
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:55:24 PM »

On Virgin there is a tab next to the chat box that lets you view how many are left but as this is a new site it is possible he didnt know where it was.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: