blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 11:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Economist "A special report on Gambling"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Economist "A special report on Gambling"  (Read 10156 times)
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:51:30 AM »

http://www.economist.com/node/16507670

There are 11 articles relating to poker and other forms of gambling. Pretty decent imo given the normal tripe written in the media about the subject.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

Think dealing the flop down would be a good innovation. Then when you complete the betting on river you turn the flop up to see who wins.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »

The throwaway stat that a royal flush is as likely as getting hit be lightning doesn't stand up either.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »

The throwaway stat that a royal flush is as likely as getting hit be lightning doesn't stand up either.

I've seen 3 so far in my life, and I remain unelectrocuted.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

According to a reliable source (the internet) it's 606000 to 1 against the lightning strike and 649740 to 1 against the royal flush.

Surely though this depends on your participation in the event or your locality to lightning?

Someone who sits on the top of tall trees in florida in the rainy season playing dominos is more likely to get hit by a bolt of lightning than make a royal flush.

Someone who sits at his pc in Basingstoke 20 tabling unlimited holdem is probably more likely to get a royal flush than be struck by lightning.

Definitely makes a mockery of the article.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »

I'm sure the authors of the heavily-researched articles will be impressed by the seriousness with which the thrust of their debate has been addressed by the poker cognoscenti.

+1 to the OP, I agree.

Online gambling is huge now, absolutely massive, & I think a deeper understanding of what drives it, & where it's going, is needed.

It's almost beyond imagination that an industry so big, domestically & internationally, is barely 10 years old. Hard to imagine how big it could become if it continued at this rate, & when Governments will eventually decide to both Regulate & Tax, it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:21:20 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »

I'm sure the authors of the heavily-researched articles will be impressed by the seriousness with which the thrust of their debate has been addressed by the poker cognoscenti.

+1 to the OP, I agree.

Online gambling is huge now, absolutely massive, & I think a deeper understanding of what drives it, & where it's going, is needed.

It's almost beyond imagination that an industry so big, domestically & internationally, is barely 10 years old. Hard to imagine how big it could become if it continued at this rate, & when Governments will eventually decide to both Regulate & Tax, it.

A lot of people seem to be worried that online poker is on the decline not getting bigger,I tend not to worry about things I have no control over so only time will tell I guess.Just realised you where talking about gambling in general not just poker but point still stands anyway.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »

According to a reliable source (the internet) it's 606000 to 1 against the lightning strike and 649740 to 1 against the royal flush.

Surely though this depends on your participation in the event or your locality to lightning?

Someone who sits on the top of tall trees in florida in the rainy season playing dominos is more likely to get hit by a bolt of lightning than make a royal flush.

Someone who sits at his pc in Basingstoke 20 tabling unlimited holdem is probably more likely to get a royal flush than be struck by lightning.

Definitely makes a mockery of the article.

1 hand of poker compared to 1 year in the USA, unless you're TK at a Blonde Bash you don't only play one hand.
And that's 5 card poker - hold'em's 30939:1.

Pish Stats Usage agreed.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: