blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 09:45:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272897 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Vorsprung durch Technik
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vorsprung durch Technik  (Read 4921 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »

Volkswagen chief executive Martin Winterkorn resigns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34340997

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »

Stunning story, this.

How many other car manufacturers will be looking over their shoulders now?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »

I went to the car auctions today, cash on hip, looking for a Golf or a Polo. This shenanigans doesn't seem to have affected prices much.

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »

I went to the car auctions today, cash on hip, looking for a Golf or a Polo. This shenanigans doesn't seem to have affected prices much.

We don't know to what extent this affects UK cars at the moment. I fully suspect it will though.

Ah! The element of surprise
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 10:16:40 PM »

We don't know to what extent this affects UK cars at the moment. I fully suspect it will though.

German govt agency today confirmed VW have admitted it affects Europe as well.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 10:37:04 PM »

German govt agency today confirmed VW have admitted it affects Europe as well.

I own a 2013 Scirocco 2.0 TDI. I imagine it's on the verge of a value decrease. Would it be right to claim if it is one of the affected models?

Ah! The element of surprise
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »

I fear the question is are VW going to be lucky and have BP sized problem, hit by 30 to 50 billion in lawsuits, have to sell scania, Porsche, skoda etc or if it is an Arthur Anderson sized problem and even though they have assets the reputation effect is so bad it just collapses.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »

I fear the question is are VW going to be lucky and have BP sized problem, hit by 30 to 50 billion in lawsuits, have to sell scania, Porsche, skoda etc or if it is an Arthur Anderson sized problem and even though they have assets the reputation effect is so bad it just collapses.

Don't think it's Arhur Anderson sized, but certainly the potential fines could be up to 50% of their market cap I think,
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »

Somewhere, right now, VW's insurance company is getting there defences shored up. There's bound to be a claim by VW on them, & it's bound to be resisted.

Across Europe & North America, law practices are celebrating years of fat fees to come.

And the Board of every car manufacturer has urgently requested an audience with the guys in their test laboratories.

What a story this is.

When the dust has all settled, of course, the cars will be much as they are now - beautifully engineered, high quality, & reliable. It's a great product, & will continue to sell well. Shocker of an OG though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:53:45 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »

The Vorsprung durch Technik Wiki page is interesting, if only for this.....

Vorsprung durch Technik; roughly "Advancement through technology" is a German language phrase and the main advertising slogan and company ethos for the German car maker Audi. It has been used in Audi advertising campaigns all over the world, except in the United States where the slogan "Truth in Engineering" is used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorsprung_durch_Technik

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »

Somewhere, right now, VW's insurance company is getting there defences shored up. There's bound to be a claim by VW on them, & it's bound to be resisted.

Across Europe & North America, law practices are celebrating years of fat fees to come.

And the Board of every car manufacturer has urgently requested an audience with the guys in their test laboratories.

What a story this is.

When the dust has all settled, of course, the cars will be much as they are now - beautifully engineered, high quality, & reliable. It's a great product, & will continue to sell well. Shocker of an OG though.

You think they have insurance against themselves deliberately defrauding the public?  Suspect I can save them a few quid in lawyers already.

I am also a bit sceptical about lots of other car manufacturers involved.  Having just bought a diesel very recently I read around a bit.  I know Mazda has had trouble meeting emissions standards there on their diesel and a fair few others don't even sell diesels there.  I guess a few just filed meeting the emissions standards as too difficult for the likely sales.

Somebody asked about buying the shares the other day.  I am all for buying on bad news, but have restrained myself this time.  I definitely wouldn't but one.  I have always felt Audis are a bit overpriced, but now I know they aren't even as good as they claim.  Why would I buy one?  That is before we have to get past the fact most other drivers already assume Audi drivers are wankers...

There was a bbc(?) story a few months ago where they tested diesels on the road for emissions vs the test.  Pretty sure an Audi was worst.  Will try and find it.

I would be absolutely livid if I had bought a "clean diesel" from them a couple of weeks ago.  I would be back at the showroom now saying you can take that back right now.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »

What a story this is.

You think they have insurance against themselves deliberately defrauding the public?  Suspect I can save them a few quid in lawyers already.

I am also a bit sceptical about lots of other car manufacturers involved.  Having just bought a diesel very recently I read around a bit.  I know Mazda has had trouble meeting emissions standards there on their diesel and a fair few others don't even sell diesels there.  I guess a few just filed meeting the emissions standards as too difficult for the likely sales.

Somebody asked about buying the shares the other day.  I am all for buying on bad news, but have restrained myself this time.  I definitely wouldn't but one.  I have always felt Audis are a bit overpriced, but now I know they aren't even as good as they claim.  Why would I buy one?  That is before we have to get past the fact most other drivers already assume Audi drivers are wankers...

There was a bbc(?) story a few months ago where they tested diesels on the road for emissions vs the test.  Pretty sure an Audi was worst.  Will try and find it.

I would be absolutely livid if I had bought a "clean diesel" from them a couple of weeks ago.  I would be back at the showroom now saying you can take that back right now.

I would bet good money they'll at least try to claim something from their insurance, yes.

It gets quite complicated, if the practice was part of Corporate policy, (I'd be extremely surprised if it were) is one thing, if some boffin fiddled the figures & kept that within his own department, its a different matter (as to Insurance).

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »

I have always felt Audis are a bit overpriced, but now I know they aren't even as good as they claim.  Why would I buy one?  That is before we have to get past the fact most other drivers already assume Audi drivers are wankers...

I thought it was BMW drivers that most other drivers thought were wankers?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »

The Insurance companies start to face the VW music.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/banking/article4572438.ece

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: