blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 06:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  snooker-greats
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: snooker-greats  (Read 7647 times)
Foggy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 07:10:45 PM »

I was fortunate enough to play some of the legends in my amateur snooker career and would add the following to the thread;

most gifted after 6 pints
1....Alex Higgins
2....Cliff Wilson
3....Jackie Rae

most gifted

1...Stephen Hendry
2...Steve Davies
3...Ray Reardon

you can then throw in the O'Sullivans and Whites and although you cannot dispute their "natural talent" the debate is founded on natural gift
Jedwick

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 07:46:28 PM »

What about most dominant in a season? was it 2001 or 2002 that Mark Williams was an absolutely different class to even the likes of ronnie and hendry, shame that he had some kids and settled down in to a more family based life, im not saying the best ever but i reckon he'd have to be talked about when discussing these things

Anyone know what the plural of Moose is???
NEVES

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 08:19:24 PM »

I was fortunate enough to play some of the legends in my amateur snooker career and would add the following to the thread;

most gifted after 6 pints
1....Alex Higgins
2....Cliff Wilson
3....Jackie Rae

most gifted

1...Stephen Hendry
2...Steve Davies
3...Ray Reardon

you can then throw in the O'Sullivans and Whites and although you cannot dispute their "natural talent" the debate is founded on natural gift

Jackie Rae one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet on or off the table, he always had a kind word for everyone even the unkind people
and a great trickshot artist.

Neves.

Rules are for the obedience of fools and
guidance of wise men.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 09:54:17 PM »

What about most dominant in a season? was it 2001 or 2002 that Mark Williams was an absolutely different class to even the likes of ronnie and hendry, shame that he had some kids and settled down in to a more family based life, im not saying the best ever but i reckon he'd have to be talked about when discussing these things

Good point Jed, Williams was superb that season and I really thought he was going to go on and dominate for years.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 10:55:16 PM »

The late great Bill Werbenuik. A good friend of mine for many years.

RIP

The older I get, the better I was.
NEVES

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 12:34:57 AM »

Great pic Red i watched him skin Alex Higgins at myth rummy one night in
leeds many moons ago, a sad loss to the game a real character.

Neves.

Rules are for the obedience of fools and
guidance of wise men.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 03:40:24 PM »

I see another of the 'snooker greats' has just embarrassed himself and the sport.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »

Posted on the sports board Phil, The bloke is clearly a few sweets short of a pick and mix.

His adulation and respect should be severely dented following this episode, he has let the paying public and his supporters down once too often i fear.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 03:45:35 PM »

Posted on the sports board Phil, The bloke is clearly a few sweets short of a pick and mix.

His adulation and respect should be severely dented following this episode, he has let the paying public and his supporters down once too often i fear.

100% correct, the guy shpuld not have one fan left after proving he doesnt care one jot about them.

sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 04:03:50 PM »

marks a very good mate,he was and still is imho a great player he just needs to focus coz he has got so,so,so much bottle he never gives in the dirty dog lol big ear(thats sprog that is,, mark)he will have a great 2007 i predict hes eased of the poker a bit (late nights)great golfer too,hes playing a lot of football at the moment,,,,hendrys the best golfer mind off 3 and it should be scratch.we all  played at glen eagles me mark hendry and bobby george (viv williams lmao)great time real good belly laugh. these guys are down to earth you know.

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 05:27:11 PM »

Ronnie won't lose fans through this. Most like his quirkyness and the colour and brilliance he brings to the game.

I can't imagine many 'fans' REALLY believe that their sports heroes care about them.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 06:22:20 PM »

the tolerance of the great british public can only be stretched so far, While Ronnies die hard fans will stick by him, there will be plenty more hoping that he gets a good stuffing every time he plays a match.

I think he showed a complete lack of class and showed no respect to either his opponent or the game of snooker.

He has a fantastic talent and doesnt have to worry about paying his gas bill or his council tax ..... If he has that little repect for the game that gave him the lifestyle he has, he should perhaps jack it in and and join the long list of gifted sports stars that chucked it all away.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 07:20:33 PM »

One name that I feel deserves a mention in this thread is John Pullman.

He was a truly great player and dominated the game for a few years.

He was also a well known "bon vivant" and his game suffered as a result, but one year(I forget exactly) when well past his best he went on the wagon for six months and came very close to winning the world championship losing narrowly in the semi-finals. He was a great cueist and tremendously entertaining company.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 08:57:42 PM »

Thanks for mentioning Pullman. Brings back memories.

Back to Ronnie. I really don't think he's ever given a flying **** for what anyone thinks of him (and for the most part I don't blame him). He just goes out there and works his magic on the table often disregarding the ego/feelings of his opponents in the process. Can't think of any other reason he'd take the mick  the way he does when he's switching hands to belittle the opposition and make the game look ridiculously easy.

If 'fans' are shocked by the latest headline they clearly haven't been following his career. IMO snooker needs 'The Rocket'. If he wants to concede early in a match I have no problem with that. There are too many 'robots' in the game at the moment and I welcome Ronnie's eccentricities.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 09:00:43 PM »

Personally I like a tryer......

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: