blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  What is the point in min-raising?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the point in min-raising?  (Read 2592 times)
Table Manners

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 01:23:11 AM »

i thought this topic might generate a bit of action so to speak.

i've been thinking about it a bit more recently and there are 2 situations when I think there's any point whatsoever in a min-raise.

Firstly when you're relatively deep, you're in late position and you want to play a hand heads up with the bb. In this case, you might min-raise give the sb worse odds so they'll prob fold if they have crap. Also, if you're in the cut-off, you can buy position. So I suppose it's a cheap way of trying to get a hand heads up (if that's what you desire).

The second might be if you're reasonable late in a tournament and the bb is a medium to short stack. In this case you may actually have fold equity on your raise.

Having said all this, you'll still never catch me min-raising. I agree with Rookie.
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

cut implied odds on the flop so that people know that they wont get paid enough if they hit there draws

I dont get you Ironside, maybe im being a little thick, 18 hours working straight will do that to you.  My figuring was that implied odds are only reduced on the flop by moving all in and so negating the possibility of gaining more chips on a later street when a draw potentially connects. Mini raising, in my mind at least, builds pots but has no implications re implied odds whatsoever unless the miniraise is all in??

King of the river check-raise
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »

If you dont "get" minimum raises your poker bookshelf needs updating.

Love the comment about "when i cant be arsed to use the slidey thing".
dime

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 05:21:10 PM »

Sometimes I'll make a bet on the river to get some more money in the pot, on occasions this will be the minium. Isn't there a play in one of Harrington books (I assume it must be in the chapter on bluffing) where he describes the "post-oak bluff" where you put in the minium amount on the river to represent a big hand when in fact you have bugger all?
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »

Sometimes I'll make a bet on the river to get some more money in the pot, on occasions this will be the minium. Isn't there a play in one of Harrington books (I assume it must be in the chapter on bluffing) where he describes the "post-oak bluff" where you put in the minium amount on the river to represent a big hand when in fact you have bugger all?

Yep, also looks better if when short stacked you dont go ai preflop even if your hand is shite.

Post oak bluff? Harrington the mug. I call it the "value-lookalike bluff" and i'v copyrighted that puppy.
Spitroaster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »

Are we all saying that thereis no place for a smallish raise even with low pairs and suited connectors. It is just a black and white as 3xBB or fold? I think that is ridgid thinking.
Table Manners

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »

Sometimes I'll make a bet on the river to get some more money in the pot, on occasions this will be the minium.

I should have made it more clear in the original post, but I'm refering to min-raises pre-flop. I think everyone will agree that min-raises post flop certainly have their place.
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 02:04:47 PM »

I pot reraise them just for fun.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: