blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:40:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 689 690 [691] 692 693 694 695 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1282820 times)
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #10350 on: September 25, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »

Rodgers now 4/7 next boss to go

In their opinion he has 10 days. Media doesn't help when speculating like this.

Haven't read the article, but I'd be amazed if it had any quote from anyone at the club, and no basis to the headline.

Also, if FSG have full faith in him, quell the speculation and media frenzy and make a strong statement.

Not only would it stop the questions, it would get the fans together (maybe) make the players aware (if they aren't already).

City did it with Pelli and it worked a treat

Carpe Diem
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: September 25, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »

Haven't read the article, but I'd be amazed if it had any quote from anyone at the club, and no basis to the headline.

Also, if FSG have full faith in him, quell the speculation and media frenzy and make a strong statement.

Not only would it stop the questions, it would get the fans together (maybe) make the players aware (if they aren't already).

It is maybe telling that they have not already done so.

If I employed someone, & thought they were doing OK, I'd want to reassure & protect them when stuff like that gets circulated.  

I agree, by the bye, that it's probably all media speculation & froth, with no real, insider, quotes.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: September 25, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »

If I employed someone, & thought they were doing OK, I'd want to reassure & protect them when stuff like that gets circulated.  

I agree, by the bye, that it's probably all media speculation & froth, with no real, insider, quotes.

You'd have had him out the door yonks ago, for not hoarding all the dinero Wink

Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: September 25, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »

Yes, it could be telling, owners for reasons I don't understand tend not to come out in support. 

Klopp coming out and the timing of it doesn't help (well not BR anyway) and Carlo rumours again, you could argue no smoke etc

Carpe Diem
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: September 25, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »

If I had employed him as Manager or Coach, first thing I'd have done is sent him on secondment to Arsenal for a year, to see how long term planning & finances should be done.

That's how Sir Michael O'Leary (he of the mighty Ryanair) learnt how to make Ryanair so stunningly successful.  When he first joined, the owner, Tony Ryan, sent him across to work with Herb Kelleher at SouthWest Airlines, who are the Arsenal of Budget Airlines. True story.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: September 25, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »

Yes, it could be telling, owners for reasons I don't understand tend not to come out in support. 

Klopp coming out and the timing of it doesn't help (well not BR anyway) and Carlo rumours again, you could argue no smoke etc

I still have a hunch that Mr Klopp has Arsenal in his mind.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: September 25, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »

If I had employed him as Manager or Coach, first thing I'd have done is sent him on secondment to Arsenal for a year, to see how long term planning & finances should be done.

That's how Sir Michael O'Leary (he of the mighty Ryanair) learnt how to make Ryanair so stunningly successful.  When he first joined, the owner, Tony Ryan, sent him across to work with Herb Kelleher at SouthWest Airlines, who are the Arsenal of Budget Airlines. True story.

Cheesy

Surely that's the CFO's job?

DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10357 on: September 25, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »

I remember as a kid, from the age of about ten, harassing my father to give me a lift to the other side of town every time a big Liverpool game was being played.  There were very few games on Irish TV back in those days - the FA Cup final may have been it.  

I vaguely knew a guy who lived in a tough-ish estate, who was a passionate Liverpool fan.  He was about ten to fifteen years older than me...so it's fair to say we didn't share the same circle.  

But if the Reds were playing, then he'd be guaranteed to be stood outside his house with an old AM radio, angled against a telegraph pole, surrounded by Reds supporters.  A signal just couldn't be found anywhere else.  And it didn't matter how old you were or what type of bike or car you arrived in, we were as one stood in the dark listening to the tinny commentary, often through bouts of static.  The credits music for European football can still make the hair on the back of my neck stand!

So I suppose I look at our management situation differently.  

I can link many of my 'remember where you were' days (good and bad) to Liverpool football club.  And every time we change a manager I feel I become a step further removed from those experiences.  I don't want a manager there who just wants a job.  I want somebody in there who understands what that club means to me, as I believe Rodgers does.

I completely accept that I'm in the minority on Rodgers atm, but I feel he's as qualified to break through as anyone else, so we should give him 100% support.  And remember, it's only a game of football, not life or death.  Wink

Just wanted to say what a wonderful post that was Des, would grace any thread on any forum. You were in fine form on Sunday night.

Thank you.

As to Mr Rodgers, we armchair critics are way too quick to dismiss the ability of others these days I'm afraid.  

Rodgers has been called everything from a pig to a dog. That's so wrong, he is a good man, & a good Manager, for sure.

Whether he is good enough for Liverpool, of course, is another matter altogether.

I was reading today at the names listed to succeed SAF a few years back. Names on the list included Mourinho, Ancelotti & Klopp. That's the expectation Liverpool should have, & with due respect to Rodgers, his CV does not suggest he is anywhere near that class.

Ty Tony and while it's hard to disagree with your last paragraph, I'll take a pop!  

It's all anecdotal of course, but I wonder whether Sir Alex would have secured the Man United job today on the back of his career with Aberdeen - however excellent, if he was competing with that trio?  I'm not so sure.  

I'm pretty sure Bob Paisley would not have succeeded Shanks, and maybe Liverpool's dry run would be up at 50 years today and not the measly 25 or so, that fans of most clubs would die for?!  Wink  

Perhaps Mourinho would still be an interpreter at Barcelona...and be only able to afford a whole frock for his daughter?  

In truth, it would be nice to think we'll continue to give less experienced (but promising) managers a shot if we're to retain some identity in the national game.  If we do, it's inevitable these guys will have to learn to rock and roll through the pain barrier to properly toughen up, as Sir Alex and plenty of others have had to do.  

My fellow fans could do with toughening up also and I'm not pointing at those who have recently started to reach the end of their tether.  There were plenty calling for Rodgers' head last year, just months after a decent title bid.  They may have been right of course, but that's detail. 

When / if the board deem the short Irish one no longer qualified for the job, I'd have Eddie Howe in the hot seat ahead of Carlo.  Klopp's a good 'un too, I think - but I suspect he'd bolt quickly if things started going (further) south.  

Come to think, I might have Vinny Jones in the job just to see him take a car door to the chief hack at the Sun.   Yes, that might well be the 'number 10' of managerial possibilities open to Liverpool atm.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:14:10 PM by DesD » Logged
hummuspie

View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: September 25, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »

I like the sound of Eddie Howe coming in after Rodgers

Not as though we're going to be seeing trophies any time soon and he's someone who could make that step up in class.

Rodgers has lost his way with his tinkering and at times baffling selections

Whilst Klopp looks attractive, I agree there's a risk that there may not be longevity with him. I can't see him being told what to do by his superiors either

It seems some transfers in weren't Rodgers choice, can't see that happening with Klopp
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »

Klopp had no more say on the transfers than Rodgers does probably less. Way it is now at most clubs like it or lot.

Found this on twitter interesting if a smallish sample
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPwnTq5UsAAmZpE.png
hummuspie

View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's not the case, he'd want to have his own players a la wenger and mourinho

Rodgers is more of a coach than manager and whilst I think Klopp is very similar to that, he'd only consider coming Liverpool if he had the final say on transfers

Can't remember top of my head exactly but a few played bought in weren't Rodgers picks but the transfer committees (Ian Ayres is hopeless)

They really need to scrap that, we're heading/headed the way of Spurs!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: September 25, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's not the case, he'd want to have his own players a la wenger and mourinho

Rodgers is more of a coach than manager and whilst I think Klopp is very similar to that, he'd only consider coming Liverpool if he had the final say on transfers

Can't remember top of my head exactly but a few played bought in weren't Rodgers picks but the transfer committees (Ian Ayres is hopeless)

Oh come on now, it can't be that bad, can it?

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:32 PM »

This the same mourinho who recently admitted the left back they signed he had never seen play?

Bayern have a transfer committee real just buy players regardless of the coach man City do e.t.c

Hardly rare Rodgers Is just not that good as said before his cv in no way entitled him to get such a good job
hummuspie

View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »

Damien Comolli for starters

Buying over the top for average players at best

Can't seem to complete a deal at key times, we've missed out on some potential big signings because of the ineptitude of Ian Ayres

Teams are coming to Anfield now with realistic hopes of going away with the 3 points

I personally think Rodgers is being found out, our best season was because of Suarez mostly who if you watched in the flesh, the hardest working player you're likely to see

Can't see a top 4 spot being anywhere realistic at the moment
hummuspie

View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: September 25, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »

Agree Rodgers not being good enough Horsey, he's made some mind boggling decisions this season

And his persistence with players like Lovren is just stubbornness imo

Talks the talk of Bill Shanky, nowhere near the walk
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 689 690 [691] 692 693 694 695 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: