blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 02:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273149 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  First Property
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Property  (Read 18326 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »

On a similar note

I hope IFA's charge a fixed fee to sort out all the house buying and selling stuff they do.

When I worked at a conveyancing company we were quite scornful of people who had an IFA sort out the legal side of it, because:

a. You don't really need an IFA to fill in a few forms for you
b. Half the time you don't even need a conveyancer to do the conveyancing for you - it's amazingly simple when you know (or look up) the steps.

But I guess if it was included in a fee which included mortgage advice, for example, then it's not so bad.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »

On a similar note

I hope IFA's charge a fixed fee to sort out all the house buying and selling stuff they do.

When I worked at a conveyancing company we were quite scornful of people who had an IFA sort out the legal side of it, because:

a. You don't really need an IFA to fill in a few forms for you
b. Half the time you don't even need a conveyancer to do the conveyancing for you - it's amazingly simple when you know (or look up) the steps.

But I guess if it was included in a fee which included mortgage advice, for example, then it's not so bad.

Good points.

Buying/selling a property is a complete rip off because of all the unnecessary fees.

I still can't believe that estate agents get away with charging 1.5 - 2%.

All they do is take a few pictures!!!!!

My last house sale had total fees of about £800. That included buying the new one. (Not including stamp duty obv.)

No estate agent, no financial advisor, just a solicitor / conveyancer to do all the legal jargon.

I'm surprised there isn't a way of doing this yourself as well.

You can get a pack to do your own will so why not something similar for your house?

All the solicitor does of any real value is escrow the cash from what I can see.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »

... just a solicitor / conveyancer to do all the legal jargon.

I'm surprised there isn't a way of doing this yourself as well.

You can get a pack to do your own will so why not something similar for your house?

All the solicitor does of any real value is escrow the cash from what I can see.

You can - don't know all the details because when I did it, it was from within a conveyancer

But the forms and search's and stuff the solicitor does are all available to anyone to do.

The only real added value that a solicitor provides is if their happens to be something unusual in the deeds. The usual consequence of this is you pay some insurance against anyone ever complaining about it.

The best example I saw was one property we assisted in the purchase of had a clause in the deeds (which referred to something else, which referred to something else ....) which eventually got resolved as meaning that the entire housing estate was built on land which legally couldn't have houses built on it.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »

As I'm going through the process of selling mine, all it's done is reinforced my opinion of estate agents and of the solicitors involved in house sales. 

Lazy sods who seem to do nothing except hold things up. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »

Solicitors are a con, we had to pay £75 recently to one to get him to watch my Mum sign a form, should have been more too, but someone we know knew him.

mbn.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

Lol at a £1000 for a mortgage advisor.

And massive LOL at 'financial' advisors, if they are so good why arent they minted? Why do they want to charge me for telling me how to invest the money they can only dream of having?

There is a huge difference between paying someone to do the searching and forms for you, compared to someone who thinks they know the best way you should look after your money.

I would bet my house that house prices do not fall anymore, i thought this at the start of the year and so far Ive been proved right. Plus I have had meetings with more financial people so far this year than I care to mention and everyone is of the same opinion, by the end of this year we will be well and truely on the up.

Obviously anything could happen. But at the end of the day does it matter if your house loses value? As long as you can afford to pay the mortgage and dont want to move its largely irrelevant.

If anyone would like a wager that in 2013 house prices arent at least 10% higher than they ever have been before please let me know.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

But at the end of the day does it matter if your house loses value? As long as you can afford to pay the mortgage and dont want to move its largely irrelevant.

If anyone would like a wager that in 2013 house prices arent at least 10% higher than they ever have been before please let me know.

It matters if it loses £20K over a 10 month period and then you have to sell it.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »

Solicitors are a con, we had to pay £75 recently to one to get him to watch my Mum sign a form, should have been more too, but someone we know knew him.

mbn.

I paid £300 for my solicitor when i moved. She was nothing short of awesome.
Mr Chip Prince I will forward details if you wish.

Solicitors in general!?
They are my heroes, who else can charge me £1500 to meet me for an hour, write one letter, and settle an empoyment tribunal for less than he frickin charged me!
And who else can charge for phone calls at 7p a second?

Love em

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »

But at the end of the day does it matter if your house loses value? As long as you can afford to pay the mortgage and dont want to move its largely irrelevant.

It matters if it loses £20K over a 10 month period and then you have to sell it.

Surely your scenario involves you wanting to move?
Or are you picking up on the fact i used the word want rather than need?

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »

might be up for this, can you word the bet more precisely?
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »

PM sent
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »

Solicitors in general!?
They are my heroes, who else can charge me £1500 to meet me for an hour, write one letter, and settle an empoyment tribunal for less than he frickin charged me!
And who else can charge for phone calls at 7p a second?

Love em

My company had a problem with an employee bringing an employment tribunal against us

The ex employee was completely and utterly 100% in the wrong with no chance of success

But we had to settle it and pay him off - because that was cheaper than the legal costs of going through with the tribunal.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »

I am betting that at somepoint in 2013 the average house price will reach a point where it is 10% higher than the record averave house price pre today.

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »

I am betting that at somepoint in 2013 the average house price will reach a point where it is 10% higher than the record averave house price pre today.

I would prob be up for this using Nationwide inflation adjusted figures found here

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/historical.htm

Highest average price for all houses as far as I can see was £184,131 Quarter 3 2007.

I am prob prepared to bet up to £1000 that this figure will be less than £202,544 by Quarter 3 2013

OK with you?
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »

I would prob be up for this using Nationwide inflation adjusted figures found here

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/historical.htm

Highest average price for all houses as far as I can see was £184,131 Quarter 3 2007.

I am prob prepared to bet up to £1000 that this figure will be less than £202,544 by Quarter 3 2013

OK with you?

Inflation adjusted? Why dont you just grim me now!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-price-index.html

not by Q3 2013, but at some point before the end of it

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: