blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 08:03:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273018 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  New staking boards
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New staking boards  (Read 28194 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »

but they'll only get staked if there is demand to stake that person....they ask, they'll find out

if there is that demand, then now it can be fulfilled in a formal way. I see it as an enhancement to what is offered by these boards for the community.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

I dont see the problem.

If people asked to be staked and people dont seem them as a worthwhile staking option/dont want to do it, they simply dont have to stake them & won't.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:06:45 PM by Horneris » Logged

Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »

I dont see the problem.

If people asked to be staked and people dont seem them as a worthwhile staking option/dont want to do it, they simply dont have to & won't.

Very true, lets hope it works out.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »

I just don't get all the negativity on this thread - there are people out there wanting to stake players and there are players wanting to be staked.  If you don't want to get involved just keep away from it and let the others get on with it.

+1

Recently there have been a lot of people getting very vexed about threads which, they admit, they're not even interested in.

If it's not for you, ignore it.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »

I think it might be worth Bongo adding a Rep (reputation) mod to the forum, which could be modified to give rep to good stakers/ horses similar to how other staking sites do it.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »

I think it might be worth Bongo adding a Rep (reputation) mod to the forum, which could be modified to give rep to good stakers/ horses similar to how other staking sites do it.

ty, will have a think about this with my colleagues

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »

just ask channing, lidgren, ivey etc if staking players works.

I have been staked for years by a number of sources and now run a decent little stable of players myself, it is far easier and less stressfull to play with others money than your own. Ben Grundy has won over a million this year by being staked, he could have continued playing with his own money as he certainly wasn't busto but being staked has changed his discipline and made him a more successful and profitable player. If you don't think staking works then that your opinion but figures say otherwise- you think badbeat are in it just for the fun of it? You think other mirror sites are being set up copying what badbeat do? In business ideas dont get copied unless they are successful.

I was happy to buy a peice of ironside not because its a +EV investment but because I like the guy and he deserves a shot because of the type of person he is. I am not using any staking sites funds to do this it is coming out of my own pocket and I wish him all the best. If any other members on blonde as worthy as ironside post on the staking board asking for assistance I will take the same stance.

ariston

better lucky than good
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »

The only reason people ask for staking is either because they want to play in games they don't have the bankroll for (funnily enough there may be a reason why they dont have the bankroll for these).

there will always be a reason, and it could be one of many.  Family/committments/playing recreationally rather than trying to build a bankroll.

In that case they should go and play the nearest £10 freezeout.

you're right of course - they should know their place.  I suppose you use 50s for kindling - good luck to you.

I wouldn't know what notes I use, my butler handles all my monies.

In reality you've got me wrong. I

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:41 PM »

The only reason people ask for staking is either because they want to play in games they don't have the bankroll for (funnily enough there may be a reason why they dont have the bankroll for these).

there will always be a reason, and it could be one of many.  Family/committments/playing recreationally rather than trying to build a bankroll.

I see your point..up to a point, but have to disagree with it.

Most people aren't bankrolled for a £200 MTT. Going by the old "never invest more than 2% of your bankroll into a comp" you'd need a 10k bankroll to play them..I don't have that...and most recreational players don't as they have bills to pay. Some of the players that don't have that bankroll could actually do very well in a comp like that (I can safely rule myself out of that category) so someone who does have £200 to spend and thinks "this would possibly work for me as this guy could make me a fair bit of money"  could be tempted to stake that player. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

But even if you look at staking for a cash player at 1-2 level for instance. I don't have the bankroll to play 1-2 PLO, so what do I find myself doing? I deposit some money on Blonde every month and play a bit in an attempt to spin it up. I do the 0.50-1 easily, 1-2 is fine...2-4 great (still plenty donks there) and then I move to 5-10..(still fairly comfortable against the type of players I find myself up against) in an attempt to get to the 4k I think I need to continuously play 1-2 PLO. Unfortunately for me luck has deserted me at fairly critical times while doing this over the past 2 months and so find myself repeating the process again at the end of this month. I accept that variance during a spin-up is massively higher than it is when you are grinding but there is no difference between playing out of your bankroll or playing 2-4 with 50BBs and playing 5-10 with 20BBs (in fact I strongly favour the 20BB approach) as your entire stack is always at risk if you play outside your bankroll.
I could of course go and grind the 0.25-0.50 levels but I don't think there is any point to that TBH.
This means that for me someone who has 5k to invest would be grand, it'd safe me losing my money to the cruel Gods of Variance and it gives someone else a chance to make some decent money...so both parties would win.

Don't get me wrong, I would never ask for someone on Blonde to stake me...my pride would get in the way before I'd do that and there are plenty other websites out there that stake cash game players and one of them might take a shot if I applied with them (But 1 I can't be bothered, 2; I don't like someone getting 50% of any profits AND 30% rakeback..I don't think that's a fair deal  so I'll try it my own way before I do that)

Personally I like the "I want 5 horses for a tourney" threads..they are great fun.
But I am not too keen on a staking board on Blonde as I just don't like the "I am playing this tourney and give myself an unrealistic edge over the tourney so ask people to overpay for a stake in me" posts, and they will come and those people will get criticized and they will take it personally and it will get out of hand.

In short, Staking can be great..not a big fan of a Staking board.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »

you're right of course - they should know their place.  I suppose you use 50s for kindling - good luck to you.

I wouldn't know what notes I use, my butler handles all my monies.

In reality you've got me wrong. I

...can't complete sentences?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
SnipeR

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2008, 01:38:32 PM »

I'm not going to name names but yes I can think of a number of people.

People may not be able to afford comps for all sorts of reasons..I can think of one person straight away, and to suggest or imply that its entirely due to them being losing players is erroneous to my mind

I also think its quite condescending to say people may need a "hot meal first"....the personal circumstances of people may mean they don't have the bankroll for the comps they'd like to play and their ability or track record at lower levels suggests they'd do well in

blonde is made up of a lot of recreational players,(and some pros too, but mainly recreational) many of whom play small stakes. If they, and the community of which they are a part, come to arrangements through blonde's new boards for their mutual benefit then I regard that as a good thing, with the guidelines that we've introduced obviously being adhered to

this is quite true as myself am only a "recreational player"by virtue of having to gtee an income through work to support my wife and children, However after playing for 3 Years on Betfair and many thousands of hand's in both cash.stt/mtt ranging from 25c/50c upto £2.50/£5 on cash and stt/mtt upto £200.....my betfair account is currently up by £30....wow some might say big deal i hear you groan....but i digress i have won and lost pots worth $3k in the process of trying to master the art (still learning every day after 20 years of playing)....point being i would consider myself a break even player looking for one big score.....on all my 3 main accounts, thats stars/betfair/blonde im at about +/- $50, then again my LIVE ROI Is about 800%.....with a + 33% cash ratio and 10-20% win ratio (albeit in lower end £50 games ave 100 runners).....therefore if i could oneday get staked for say a couple of GUPT events etc i think that the backer im(modest)o would have a very live chance for a return, ...these are events that i cant afford and this is (point being ) where having someone back you could/would be beneficial.....and if you do score big.........well who knows....skys the limit....

"Stu Ungar"??...Yeah he Stole my moves!!....3/6os= Insta Snap Jam...
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »

there will always be a reason, and it could be one of many.  Family/committments/playing recreationally rather than trying to build a bankroll.

I see your point..up to a point, but have to disagree with it.

Most people aren't bankrolled for a £200 MTT. Going by the old "never invest more than 2% of your bankroll into a comp" you'd need a 10k bankroll to play them..I don't have that...and most recreational players don't as they have bills to pay. Some of the players that don't have that bankroll could actually do very well in a comp like that (I can safely rule myself out of that category) so someone who does have £200 to spend and thinks "this would possibly work for me as this guy could make me a fair bit of money"  could be tempted to stake that player. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

But even if you look at staking for a cash player at 1-2 level for instance. I don't have the bankroll to play 1-2 PLO, so what do I find myself doing? I deposit some money on Blonde every month and play a bit in an attempt to spin it up. I do the 0.50-1 easily, 1-2 is fine...2-4 great (still plenty donks there) and then I move to 5-10..(still fairly comfortable against the type of players I find myself up against) in an attempt to get to the 4k I think I need to continuously play 1-2 PLO. Unfortunately for me luck has deserted me at fairly critical times while doing this over the past 2 months and so find myself repeating the process again at the end of this month. I accept that variance during a spin-up is massively higher than it is when you are grinding but there is no difference between playing out of your bankroll or playing 2-4 with 50BBs and playing 5-10 with 20BBs (in fact I strongly favour the 20BB approach) as your entire stack is always at risk if you play outside your bankroll.
I could of course go and grind the 0.25-0.50 levels but I don't think there is any point to that TBH.
This means that for me someone who has 5k to invest would be grand, it'd safe me losing my money to the cruel Gods of Variance and it gives someone else a chance to make some decent money...so both parties would win.

Don't get me wrong, I would never ask for someone on Blonde to stake me...my pride would get in the way before I'd do that and there are plenty other websites out there that stake cash game players and one of them might take a shot if I applied with them (But 1 I can't be bothered, 2; I don't like someone getting 50% of any profits AND 30% rakeback..I don't think that's a fair deal  so I'll try it my own way before I do that)

Personally I like the "I want 5 horses for a tourney" threads..they are great fun.
But I am not too keen on a staking board on Blonde as I just don't like the "I am playing this tourney and give myself an unrealistic edge over the tourney so ask people to overpay for a stake in me" posts, and they will come and those people will get criticized and they will take it personally and it will get out of hand.

In short, Staking can be great..not a big fan of a Staking board.

A very erudite post young sir.  You should post on blonde more often.

So you're not against the concept of the staking board, more concerned about how it will be misused and abused?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

So you're not against the concept of the staking board, more concerned about how it will be misused and abused?

pfffffffffft, always the same with you, isn't it? I post a very nice lo g post and you say the same thing in 1 sentence! Wink

Yes, that's mainly it..I can see it getting out of hand very rapidly.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
SnipeR

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »

[/quote]

A very erudite post young sir.  You should post on blonde more often.

"Erudite"....Now thats Class....

"Stu Ungar"??...Yeah he Stole my moves!!....3/6os= Insta Snap Jam...
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2008, 02:11:10 PM »

I clicked 'post' by mistake.

I've lost more than a lot of people playing poker, not in terms of money but it cost me my place at uni.  This subsequently badly strained my relationships with friends and very badly with those I love the most, my parents. (To think I said what I said is because I'm rich is wrong. I don't play £1000 freezeouts - cos my bankroll can't afford them. I certainly wouldn't ask to be staked in them either.

I played in a place where a few things where normal.

One was staking and borrowing.

The other was playing above ones bankroll.

I did all these three sometimes back then and can't really see how it would fit successfully into the blonde model. I also don't see how it can really be a benefit.

I can elaborate further and give my reasoning as to why but I'm at the end of my lunch break at work and unfortunately this butler of mine can't read my mind to finish my post.

I know I have a sharp tongue sometimes but I genuinely don't seek to offend so my apologies if I have. I just dont understand why someone who cant afford to play a comp be it £50 or £50,000 buy in wouldnt just play to the level they can afford and build up accordingly. If you need to sell 90% of yourself in a £500 freezeout for example and the first prize is £25,000 arent you better off playing the £50 freezeout that is affordable and will net you £2,500? Surely the edge one would have in this is bigger anyway but that's another argument.

I would say exceptions are very few and far between. IMO those who are worthwhile to be staked don't need to be posting their requests on the 'blonde poker staking board'...people will go to them.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: