blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:24:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621743 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3600 on: February 17, 2019, 08:06:40 AM »

Free Solo won best documentary at the recent Bafta awards and scores 98% on rotten tomatoes. Professional rock climber Alex Honnold attempts to climb El Capitan without ropes. Top notch doc and your heart will be in your mouth throughout the climb.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: February 18, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »

Took the kids to see the Lego Movie 2 yesterday afternoon, and enjoyed it far more than the first one, although it had a feel of a Toy Story film at times now that the link between the characters and the kids/parents had been revealed at the end of the first film.

Plenty to keep both kids and adults entertained throughout, and this one is more effective in its use of music.  "Catchy Song" will intentionally drive you mad (lyric "This song's gonna get stuck inside your head") and "Not Evil" is genuinely funny.

The kids loved it + I enjoyed it = surefire half-term winner.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »

Glass

An odd evening in Southampton visiting my eldest at University affords a trip to the cinema with her and one of her friends... it came down to this and Happy Death Day 2.. Dems the breaks .. Geddit .. Glass.. Really ..Guys I’m simply wasted on you.

So Mr M.Night treats us to a third instalment of the Unbreakable/Split story.

I liked both of the aforementioned movies, particularly Split, which at its climax presented us with the usual Midnight Man twist and a most welcome reveal/tie in with his earlier work Unbreakable. Personally I was stoked with this unexpected bonus from a pretty solid outing in Split.

The outcome however was a little disappointing. The end result felt rushed, like the studio had pressured Shyamalan to get the script done as fast as possible and out there before interest peaked and fell away.

Bruce Willis the Unbreakable hero of the first film is on the trail of our split personality killer from the second film.

On cornering his prey the two end up captured and placed in a mental asylum along with Mr Glass our third protagonist.

What follows was a chronic waste of some serious acting talent in a convoluted tale that at times strayed and stayed the night in the absurd. As always Shyamalan went for the big twist at the end, and like a second rate gymnast he failed to land it. So desperate was he to dazzle us with his brilliant mind that he forgot to make sure it made any sense. The ending tried to set itself in a much larger realm and story that simply could be dismissed out of hand and went from being an isolated multi faceted story into a global reality that could find no basis factually in the universe initially presented.

Much like my review..It ended in a mess, trying so desperately to be clever and different. There were a few nice touches and James McAvoy flicked between personas seamlessly and on more than one occasion quite disturbingly. He hovered and did eventually lean into caricature which came across as simple over acting. I hope they paid Samuel L Jackson well.. His one of my faves and his use here was criminal. Willis was Willis.. Monosyllabic and stiff.

Overall 5.5 Fajitas.. Can’t help but feel it could have been oh so much better

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: February 18, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »

Went to see Aquaman yesterday.

WALOFS.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:55 PM »

WALOFS.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

I flounced after about 30mins of utter shite.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »

Creed 2

It would seem the Rocky saga's are just about out of juice.. The first Creed although simplistic was kind of a breath of fresh air. However as Stallone plods his way through the second instalment we find ourselves bogged down in sentiment and lightweight storytelling.

Rockys old foe Ivan Drago.. A now washed up and haggard ghost of his former glory, once again played by the stoic Dolph Lundgren, has a son.. Yawwwwwnnnnn ! Who now wants his shot at Creed and his newly acquired title.Yawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..

So we bludgeon our way through a typical Rocky story complete with training montages and bloody ring battles.

To get the ladies to turn up Michael B Jordon is once again impressively shredded as  the aptly named Adonis Creed and is opposed by the monster that is Florian ' big Nasty 'Munteanu. Jesus! This bloke is flipping huge and is just a solid lump of rippling muscle that makes Jordon look like a child in comparison.

So a formulaic tale plays out desperately interspersed with some forced family drama until the inevitable final showdown.. Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Even the fight scenes seem to have lost a step that or I have just become immune to their visceral nature.

It really is time to throw the bloodied towel in on this franchise and like all great champions let us remember it fondly as it once was.

4.5/10 Fajitas

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »

Creed 2

It would seem the Rocky saga's are just about out of juice.. The first Creed although simplistic was kind of a breath of fresh air. However as Stallone plods his way through the second instalment we find ourselves bogged down in sentiment and lightweight storytelling.

Rockys old foe Ivan Drago.. A now washed up and haggard ghost of his former glory, once again played by the stoic Dolph Lundgren, has a son.. Yawwwwwnnnnn ! Who now wants his shot at Creed and his newly acquired title.Yawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..

So we bludgeon our way through a typical Rocky story complete with training montages and bloody ring battles.

To get the ladies to turn up Michael B Jordon is once again impressively shredded as  the aptly named Adonis Creed and is opposed by the monster that is Florian ' big Nasty 'Munteanu. Jesus! This bloke is flipping huge and is just a solid lump of rippling muscle that makes Jordon look like a child in comparison.

So a formulaic tale plays out desperately interspersed with some forced family drama until the inevitable final showdown.. Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Even the fight scenes seem to have lost a step that or I have just become immune to their visceral nature.

It really is time to throw the bloodied towel in on this franchise and like all great champions let us remember it fondly as it once was.

4.5/10 Fajitas

Pah, was looking forward to that.......
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: February 18, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »

Still watch it Smiley but pretty much the same story retold etc..

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: February 18, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »

WALOFS.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

I flounced after about 30mins of utter shite.

I managed to survive the whole lot but did end up checking the time a few times - Amber Heard saved it for me as at least there was someone to look at.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:58 PM »

FYRE

Story of the fyre festival that went tits up. You have probably mostly caught glimpses of it in the news/social media......but JFC what a clusterfk. Basically the story of probably a decent entrepreneur that gets in way over his head with the organisation of a high end music festival in the Bahamas and how it ends badly.

Worth a look 9/10. Jayzuzzzz there are some mugs around for slick sales people to take advantage of  Shocked
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:06 AM »

Amazing that Three Idential Strangers didn't make the Oscars shortlist for best Documentary. An incred story.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: February 28, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »

^^ On Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »

Free Solo

Won best documentary at this years Oscars. Caught it on Sky tonight.

The story of a man who climbs without ropes facing his biggest challenge. It builds slowly, an interesting character study that culminates in a final 20mins that actually made my heart race and hands sweat. Beautifully shot and paced - weaving in lots of back story that makes the final section mean so much.

It's just a 10/10 all day long.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 06, 2019, 07:25:32 PM »

Cold Pursuit

Liam Neeson getting revenge (yet again) for the killing of his son. This time, though, the tale is infused with a sufficient number of comedy moments to make this a worthwhile view. I also enjoyed seeing Denver (mainly the surrounding snowbound terrain) on screen - can’t recall having seen anything other than The Mile High before....

Nice, literally effortless performance from Big Liam. Decent work from the supporting cast, too. Perfect film if you don’t want to think while you’re watching.

6.5/10
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3614 on: March 06, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »

Free Solo won best documentary at the recent Bafta awards and scores 98% on rotten tomatoes. Professional rock climber Alex Honnold attempts to climb El Capitan without ropes. Top notch doc and your heart will be in your mouth throughout the climb.

Thanks for flagging this up, it was an excellent watch.

It made me squirm and my blood run cold though.  scared

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: